• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information phrases which grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgoat

I loathe "customer" because the change from "passenger" was such a nakedly transparent and undisguised instance of changing the name of something to make people think it's better without actually bothering to change anything else (you're customers! You're always right, and that! You get customer service! - just like calling Windscale Sellafield to make people think it's not radioactive any more, etc) - and of such an oily mendacious Thatcherite yuppie kind. It was so blatantly obvious that only a fool could hear the news and ascribe any genuine positive significance to it.

If it had always been "customer" I might simply accept it as normal, but as it is I can't hear the word on the railway without still visualising it being delivered with a hideous coked-up yuppie rictus grin, nor without still being annoyed at being taken for a fool by parasitic marketroid arseholes.
I remember clearly the morning we no-bleeding-choice Penge West commuters first heard the term "customers" over the automated tannoy, and people simultaneously spitting out their takeaway coffees. Back in NSE days, the privatisation spadework.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.