• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information phrases which grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonT

"Due to train crew availability" when they really mean "Due to the unavailability of train crew".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
TfW must win hands down with the phrase ‘owing to resource availability’

Poppycock!
There is a better word beginning with B and ending in S though!

Established Member
“This way for bus replacement services” (usually written on a sign).

It’s a railway replacement bus service!

The exile

Established Member
"arrived" on platform PIS when there is no train at the platform (or even in sight).

More a B&NES bus-stop PIS grumble but "due" when they mean "just about to arrive". The 16.55 bus is "due" at 16.55 (or arguably at 16.54); at 16.56 (even if it is going to arrive in 30 seconds) it is no longer "due"; it is "late". Even more infuriating when it's still showing "due" 5 minutes later and then disappears entirely!

Last edited:

Grecian 1998

The phrase 'a complete stop' irritates me as there's no such thing as a partial stop - that's called 'still moving'.

I'm sure it's designed to stop people doing things which are ill-advised when the train is in motion, but 'complete' is still redundant. Haven't heard it for a while though.

Spaceflower

Established Member
Any announcements that are:

Broken.
Too quiet.
TOO EFFIN LOUD.
Go into waaaaayyyyy too much detail.

It's like being lost in the woods looking for grandma.

duncanp

Established Member
What annoys me is announcements like "Due to <insert excuse of your choice>, all trains will be non stopping at <insert station of your choice>"

No! <( <(

Say it correctly, ie.

"Due to <insert excuse of your choice>, <insert station of your choice> is closed and trains will not stop there"

Gloster

Established Member
“We are now arriving on platform 1.” No, we aren’t (at least I hope not as I don’t want to be in a derailment). We are arriving on the track next to platform 1, which we will step onto when we leave the train.

YorksLad12

Established Member
"We are arriving into...". No-one says that, ever. "Arriving at" is much more normal.

And if we are "arriving into" why don't they subsequntly say "on departure out of..."? Because they sensibly say "on departure from..." instead.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
"We are arriving into...". No-one says that, ever. "Arriving at" is much more normal.

And if we are "arriving into" why don't they subsequntly say "on departure out of..."? Because they sensibly say "on departure from..." instead.
Too right. We used to quite happily say either “getting into…” or ”arriving at…” It’s almost as if someone was determined to merge two reasonable statements into one artificial one just to be awkward…

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What annoys me is announcements like "Due to <insert excuse of your choice>, all trains will be non stopping at <insert station of your choice>"

No! <( <(

Say it correctly, ie.

"Due to <insert excuse of your choice>, <insert station of your choice> is closed and trains will not stop there"
Ouch, an adjectival phrase!

“X station is closed because of Y, so no trains will stop there!”

Spaceflower

Established Member
Some announcements are more painful than watching Dominic Cummings explain his rationale for a trip to Barnard Castle.

geoffk

Established Member
All the unnecessary verbiage which goes with a request stop announcement.

lachlan

All the unnecessary verbiage which goes with a request stop announcement.
I think it's better than having folks miss their stop!

For me it's got to be "See it say it sorted!" And perhaps the worst one is station announcements talking about the buffet car in an arriving train. It distracts from the otherwise important information.

DerekC

Established Member
The Woking effect when there is a big problem between there and Waterloo - continuous automatic apologies for trains that aren't going to run, when all I want to know is which platform the next Portsmouth service will leave from.

Geeves

Established Member
Some times "operational incident" is all you can put seeing as the real reason would not be believed or isn't available for Doris to announce. I mean if shopping trolley stuck under train or driver has missed his pass ride because he was on the toilet too long was there I would put it.

Taunton

Established Member
Woking (again) during disruption. No trains, big crowds, information boards blank.

Voice gravitas on the PA "May I have your attention, please ".

The hubbub goes silent.

"... Please keep your belongings with you at ALL times ...".

Pigeon

"Station stop". One or the other, but not both, you bells.

More generally, all the repetitive pointless verbiage and blethering on that the actual messages get drowned in. Please make sure when leaving the train that you have all your belongings with you. That stupid terrorism one which I find too repellent to type, encouraging people to grass up anyone who they suspect of not being a 0.1-sigma compliant zombie. We are now approaching Birmingham New Street, change here for [list after list of every single station on a gourmet selection of routes out of New Street]. The train approaching platform 1 is the [pause] [select artificial cheery intonation] Full and Complete Long-Winded Name of Train Operating Company! [pause] service to... We would like to apologise for the delay to your journey and for any inconvenience caused (rubbish, you're a computer, shut up).

Sprinter107

The word service. "The service is now arriving at...." "Please mind the gap when leaving the service" "the service now arriving at platform...". etc etc. I always thought it was the train providing the service. I'm not to sure how you can step from a service on to a platform.

peterblue

Not strictly an information announcement, but close enough. I despised the toilet announcements on Virgin. Unnecessary and annoying!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
“The buffet is now open, and cleared for service”

“A fully licensed bar” [you can’t license a train!]

Status
Not open for further replies.