• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Infrastructure that will never be used again

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I was reading up on the history of the DLR, and discovered that the system reused an old railway viaduct between Mudchute and Island Gardens between 1987 and 1999. When the Lewisham extension was built in the late 1990s, the original stations were demolished and the line sent underground, rendering the viaduct redundant. With further developments on the Isle of Dogs, it's fairly obvious that this viaduct will never be used again by railway traffic. It got me thinking, what other major pieces of infrastructure/permanent way around Britain will never see another train service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emblematic

I was reading up on the history of the DLR, and discovered that the system reused an old railway viaduct between Mudchute and Island Gardens between 1987 and 1999. When the Lewisham extension was built in the late 1990s, the original stations were demolished and the line sent underground, rendering the viaduct redundant. With further developments on the Isle of Dogs, it's fairly obvious that this viaduct will never be used again by railway traffic. It got me thinking, what other major pieces of infrastructure/permanent way around Britain will never see another train service?

Unless you set some limits on size, dates etc. this is going to be a huge list! Just bridges and viaducts I can think of quite a lot.

Geeves

Established Member
Added to Emblematic's post what may seem like it has no chance of ever being used again today may well come back to life in some way in the future. Tweedbank and Airdrie Bathgate come to mind, Todmorden Curve, Snow Hill Tunnels both London and Brum.

As has been said there literally thousands of bits of abandoned lines around the UK.

Emblematic

Your (OPs) example is quite interesting though, as it's a piece of infrastructure that's been abandoned twice. Can't be too many of those around.

Last edited:

Liam

Established Member
Your (OPs) example is quite interesting though, as it's a piece of infrastructure that's been abandoned twice. Can't be too many of those around.

Not the same piece of infrastructure, but there have been two stations on the site of the 1986 Bathgate station. Originally opened in 1849, closed some time later when a new station was opened nearby. Reopened in 1986, only to be closed in 2010 when a new Bathgate station opened.

KingDaveRa

There's two old bridges on the A4421 which carried the old Great Central. I think they're notable because they sit right where HS2 is supposed to be going, and would probably have to be demolished. However, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they remained, and a new bridge was built next to them.

But as far as I know they've been doing little more than growing grass since the GC was closed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How major? This viaduct is approx. 275m long; are you asking for a list of viaducts or other structures of at least this (or some other) length?

And how obvious does it have to be that they will never see another train service?

And what constitutes infrastructure/permanent way? By permanent way, presumably you don't just mean disused trackbeds? What has to be there to qualify?

Until we understand the question it is difficult to answer, but it could be a hugely extensive list, so would be difficult to know where to start!

Clansman

Established Member
The still intact carriage sidings and MotoRail platform a few hundred metres South of Perth station.

Last edited:

Emblematic

Ginaro

Viaduct in Lower Largo: https://goo.gl/maps/8U3bx3qKf3P2

Unless the branch to Leven gets built and is a roaring success, somehow inspiring the rebuilding of the Fife Coast Line, it'll never be used again. Not even as a foot/cycle bridge as the west side is someone's garden, which is a shame.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The passenger entrance at the Tees Valley Airport Railway station.

I'll get my coat.

HowardGWR

Established Member
There's two old bridges on the A4421 which carried the old Great Central. I think they're notable because they sit right where HS2 is supposed to be going, and would probably have to be demolished. However, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they remained, and a new bridge was built next to them.

But as far as I know they've been doing little more than growing grass since the GC was closed.

Your link actually displays a lot of railway activity, if you go back from Street View to Google Maps and choose Satellite View. What's that all about -anyone know?

update -it was Finmere station once.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
The 170 year old Duddeston Viaduct is worth a mention as it's never been used for it's intended purpose.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm fairly certain that nobody will ever walk through this doorway to catch a train ever again!

(Location is the former Cooper Bridge station on the Calder Valley line. Huddersfield's first station.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170928-113136.png
    Screenshot_20170928-113136.png
    908 KB · Views: 476

xotGD

Established Member
The wagon lifting tower in Leeds.

Dunston coal staithes.

Woodhead Tunnel.

Newton Cap viaduct - now a road.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
All the plans for North Woolwich were scuppered by Crossrail, which has taken almost all of the trackbed the heritage line intended using. The museum closed a couple of years after the station, and it's unlikely anything will happen there now. It is another twice-abandoned structure though!

Utterly off topic, but couldn't resist the thought that there are enough extant ex-London trolleybuses to run a heritage trolleybus service from North Woolwich to Canning Town. It could even run out of its old depot (by name, anyway) at West Ham which just happens to garage the Heritage Routemaster buses used on the 15 route.

Altfish

More interesting is rail infrastructure built that has never been used. I'll give you two: -

The bridge over the M6 Toll on the Lichfield to Brownhills line
The road overbridge in Broadheath near Altrincham over the Skelton Junction to Partington line

Ianno87

Veteran Member
More interesting is rail infrastructure built that has never been used. I'll give you two: -

The road overbridge in Broadheath near Altrincham over the Skelton Junction to Partington line

Chessington South second platform
Thamesmead branch provision at North Greenwich

duffield

Established Member

I believe there's a long-term ambition to reopen through Bronwhills and the route is being protected, and Birmingham is one of the few places with the clout to bring this sort of thing about. So it may get used eventually.

gg1

Established Member
I believe there's a long-term ambition to reopen through Bronwhills and the route is being protected, and Birmingham is one of the few places with the clout to bring this sort of thing about. So it may get used eventually.

There are also a number of bridges on the Walsall to Stourbridge section of the South Staffs line which were built after the line closed to freight in the early 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.