• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inside Transpennine Express (Channel 5 Documentary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHolmes

Blast Films! have now finished shooting for their upcoming documentary series “Inside Transpennine Express” due to air on channel 5 later this year.

The series will now only be 6 episodes long instead of a planned (up to) 8 due to the Covid-19 outbreak and social distancing/isolating affecting filming.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Sounds interesting.

'Trouble of the Tracks' is presently airing on ITV which has so far been okay to watch.

I would hope that given all the negative press about TPE, the programme makers will actually present the company more positively. I wonder if recently departed Leo Goodwin has taken part in the programme?

CJ

RHolmes

The show has been renamed “The Railway 24/7” and will air from June 10th at 9pm

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Depending of course on how the series is 'spun'.
Still, definitely interesting to see a bit more behind the scenes of a different TOC.

Maybe we need an 'Inside Northern' series next...

LittleAH

Depending of course on how the series is 'spun'.
Still, definitely interesting to see a bit more behind the scenes of a different TOC.

Maybe we need an 'Inside Northern' series next...

Don't think TV series like this are spun - often made into some sort of story line and over dramatised.

Most of the mundane stuff will not make the cut.

LittleAH

Very negative!

Very true. Have you seen the Best Western doc on C4? I've spent plenty of nights in Best Western's and never experienced what's on camera. Production companies go for the interesting and entertaining.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
First episode of "The Railway 24/7" (Channel 5, Wednesday 10th June 2020, 9.00 p.m) is, as expected, a behind the scenes look at TransPennine Express, and this particular episode has their passengers revolting and a derailment threatening to bring the network to a halt. Episode one of six.

RHolmes

First episode of "The Railway 24/7" (Channel 5, Wednesday 10th June 2020, 9.00 p.m) is, as expected, a behind the scenes look at TransPennine Express, and this particular episode has their passengers revolting and a derailment threatening to bring the network to a halt. Episode one of six.

It will also feature the introduction of the Nova fleet

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Presumably it will cover the period where the M.D. left to ‘pursue opportunities outside of First Group’.

I wonder how that will be handled. Perhaps we will see the denouement.

Andyh82

Established Member
Presumably it will cover the period where the M.D. left to ‘pursue opportunities outside of First Group’.

I wonder how that will be handled. Perhaps we will see the denouement.
Doubt it, I’m sure the staff featured will be front line ‘characters’

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looking forward to tonight's broadcast.

Next week's episode of "The Railway 24/7" (Channel 5, Wedndsday 16th June 2020, 9.00 p.m.) sees the network disrupted by Storm Ciara back in February 2020, leaving lines blocked by fallen trees and passengers needing to get back home.

There's also a look at a couple of British Transport Police officers working on a "demanding" weekend shift.

This is episode two of six.

2L70

On Moderation
Good watch so far
Dumping passengers onto a once hourly service
Herding passengers onto overcrowded trains
Forcing a mother to tears as she’s worried about getting home
Thought it would be more sanitised than this

Andyh82

Established Member
Its so strange looking at footage like that where everyone used to cram onto trains, especially when one member of staff said it’ll probably all be ok by March.

Gaz55

It was a decent first episode. I hope there is more variety going forward. Looking inside the depots, cleaning and maintaining the trains, across more the the network and not just major stations etc.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Wonder why it was necessary to pixelate the logos of the derailed Northern unit that was fouling the exit from TPE's Ardwick depot in December 2019.

It was a decent first episode. I hope there is more variety going forward. Looking inside the depots, cleaning and maintaining the trains, across more the the network and not just major stations etc.

There was plenty of filming going on at the depot during that period so there could be a fair amount of that in the coming episodes.

SuperNova

Most staff don't even know what the final product is, but the film crews were out and about everywhere. We're blind to whatever to production people thought was good enough for TV!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Revenue protection officer Mark was extensively followed by the cameras, so he will likely feature in a later episode

Fokx

Most staff don't even know what the final product is, but the film crews were out and about everywhere. We're blind to whatever to production people thought was good enough for TV!

Plus the series is now two episodes shorter due to Coronavirus restrictions so some appearances/features planned for the last two episodes may have been cut out entirely for more entertaining content to feature

Energy

Established Member
Currently watching it, so far so good, only thing I noticed was that they called a DMU a 'loco' and said it in a way which made 15 years sound too old for a train. Other than that it seems accurate although they will of course only include the interesting bits.

londonbridge

Established Member
Recorded last night on Sky+ with series link, next weeks is showing in scheduled but it’s also already dropped in a “next series” entry as well, not sure if it’s dodgy epg data or Channel 5 playing around with the schedule.

Edgeley

Good programme - I enjoyed it. It was slightly weird though, given all the discussion about increasing capacity that, unbeknown to the participants at the time, events were about to take a dramatic turn in another direction.

Andyh82

Established Member
Wonder why it was necessary to pixelate the logos of the derailed Northern unit that was fouling the exit from TPE's Ardwick depot in December 2019.
Currently watching it, so far so good, only thing I noticed was that they called a DMU a 'loco' and said it in a way which made 15 years sound too old for a train. Other than that it seems accurate although they will of course only include the interesting bits.
I noticed that, they were suggesting that the 185s are ancient knackered old trains, when in reality in rail terms they are practically brand new

Status
Not open for further replies.