• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inspiration for a two night UK break from Manchester via train

TheSmiths82

I am hoping to go away for a couple of nights in the Easter Holidays. I am running out of ideas where to go to as I have stayed in most of the northern cities in the past 18 months including Edinburgh (perhaps a southern city as it is in Scotland). I must be able to get there for less than £100 return and if I can get an open off peak return for that then the place will score bonus points but I ideally want to spend a lot less. Can anybody think of a liveliest place in terms of pubs that is not centred around students with a lot of things to during the day too? Edinburgh ticks all those boxes but been there very recently). I will be staying during the week and hotels need to reasonable cheap too (e.g no more than £60 for a Travel lodge a night). Ideally it would be nice if it was close to the coast too but given I am going in April the weather will be hit and miss.

I was thinking Norwich could tick the boxes, and I have seen some reasonably priced singles (£40 each way) but I am not sure if I want to travel on a class 158 for that distance and I have a feeling the night life might be a bit too student centric and while I like lively venues I am a bit too old for that. Cardiff is another option but the tickets are expensive (£108 open return) and I wouldn't want to travel on a two carriage 158 but the hotels are cheap and I can try and avoid those trains.

Bournemouth or Brighton are other options and I can get there for £100 return, but I can imagine those places are miserable if the weather is bad. I did think of Glasgow, but as my last train journey was to Edinburgh it would be too similar and I can imagine the weather is awful in Glasgow in April.

Can anybody think of any where else to add to my list? Please exclude any where north of Manchester as I have most likely been there in the past 18 months. To decide I will come up with a scoring system on the following criteria:-
  • Cost of trains and hotels
  • Choice of hotels
  • Things to do during the day
  • Nightlife
  • How close it is to the coast (if the weather is reasonable then I might want to visit the seaside)
  • How scenic the journey is
  • If the tickets are fixed singles or an open return.
Thanks for any suggestions. I am aware Liverpool ticks most of the above items, but I have been too many times recently and need a change :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Have you considered Swansea?

Two ways of getting there (heart of Wales & the Marches) so potentially two nice - and varied - journeys.

Hotels generally reasonably priced; city centre is decent with museums, bars, stuff to do; walk along the front to Mumbles if the weather's good etc

TheSmiths82

Have you considered Swansea?

Two ways of getting there (heart of Wales & the Marches) so potentially two nice - and varied - journeys.

Hotels generally reasonably priced; city centre is decent with museums, bars, stuff to do; walk along the front to Mumbles if the weather's good etc

I have been there before, but only for one night. I never made it to Mumbles as the weather was bad I was going to Cardiff the next day. I wasn't that impressed with the city centre at night as most of it was for students but I have been have been unlucky. I will give it a second thought. Looking at the hotels though Cardiff is very cheap, and the city centre tickets all the boxes so although the train is expensive, it is an Open Return which is a big plus for me, and I may end up getting some of that back with as most of my trains end up being delayed. I jinxed all trains :).

D6130

Established Member
The weather in Glasgow is not always bad in April. It has a very different - and IMHO more friendly - atmosphere than Edinburgh and has loads of great pubs....plus lots of nightlife, museums, parks, etc. If the weather is reasonably good, you could take a cruise 'doon the watter' on the 'Waverley'....the world's last sea-going paddle steamer. Other options could be Newcastle or Hull.

If you're really intent on not going anywhere North of Manchester, how about Bristol or Bath....or both, as they are only about 12 miles apart?

TheSmiths82

The weather in Glasgow is not always bad in April. It has a very different - and IMHO more friendly - atmosphere than Edinburgh and has loads of great pubs....plus lots of nightlife, museums, parks, etc. If the weather is reasonably good, you could take a cruise 'doon the watter' on the 'Waverley'....the world's last sea-going paddle steamer. Other options could be Newcastle or Hull.

If you're really intent on not going anywhere North of Manchester, how about Bristol or Bath....or both, as they are only about 12 miles apart?

I have been to Glasgow a couple of times before and enjoyed my time there especially the transport museum.

Having just come back from Edinburgh last month though the train journey will be more less the same for the majority of the distance so I might go to Glasgow again another time. I spent a couple of nights in Bristol last year and really enjoyed it, ( I was supposed to go to Cornwall and Devon via the night train but the strikes put a stop to that, I spent two nights in Bristol and three in London instead).

I spent a couple of nights in Newcastle last year, so was looking for a change but it is still on my list as there are plenty of things to do there I haven't done before).

To throw a spanner in the works the Isle of Man is another option, but the night life looked a bit 'boring' and the weather is a bit risky. The ferry might be too expensive now too, although I wanted to keep this purely about places I can get to via rail.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
I did remember the bouncers turning me away from a bar though which put me off a bit (Box I think it was). "We don't allow people on their own...".
If you want a more relaxed and mature Glasgow pub experience, I can recommend the Pot Still in Hope Street (5-6 mins walk from Central or Queen Street stations), the Horse Shoe in Drury Street (2-3 mins walk from Central station); while around 5-6 mins walk from Charing Cross station, you have the Bon Accord in North Street, The Griffin in Elmbank Street and the State Bar in Holland Street. A wee bit further out - right opposite Kelvinhall Underground station - the Three Judges is a cracking old fashioned pub with several real ales, no recorded music and plenty of conversation.

Bevan Price

Established Member
No idea about night life, but Worcester has a fine cathedral, and is only a short ride to Kidderminster if the Severn Valley Railway has any interesting events on that weekend.

ChrisC

Established Member
Your idea of Norwich is quite a good one. Interesting city and the night life shouldn’t be too student centric if you are going during the Easter holiday. If you want to visit the coast the train up to Sheringham is worth doing as is the bus down to Southwold. I would give Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft a miss.

Have you thought about Lincoln?

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I was just about to post Lincoln. Daytime things to do include the Cathedral, the Castle and International Bomber Command Centre. Lots of lovely restaurants and cafes around Steep Hill area.

Ken H

On Moderation
How about the Marches. Leominster/Ludlow/Craven Arms/Church Stretton.i would stay in Ludlow and explore from there as its the bigger place. All connected by rail.

Snow1964

Established Member
Salisbury might be an option.

Perhaps not for a 2 night trip, but if want to see places there is the 3 days in 7 Solent and Seven Rover. If could get yourself advances to Worcester (try sites split ticket on ticket link at top) then got chance to see Portsmouth, Bath, Swindon, Weymouth, Southampton, Cardiff, Tiverton etc. If you don't mind bit of walking then climb up to Westbury white horse, or Great Malvern for views

Lemmy99uk

If you avoid weekends you could do worse than a rail and sail to the Isle of Man for £85

Not sure about hotel prices though.

TheSmiths82

Sorry if I haven't replied to all the later suggestions, been in work all day. I did think of Lincoln but will probably visit that city when I am in the area. Lincolnshire is an area I know quite well already. I think I am looking cities or very big towns as I do get bored quite easily, I am not one for relaxing. Already been to Nottingham and York quite recently.

I still have Cardiff on my list, simply because the hotels are so cheap. The train ticket is very expensive but it is an open return and due to personal circumstances there is a chance I will need to cancel at the last minute so a hotel that I can cancel on the day, and walk up off peak ticket is an advantage but not essential.

Lemmy I think what puts me off the Isle of Man is I might find it a bit limiting when I am there but I will investigate that again tonight. I can imagine it can be quite a depressing place if the weather is bad.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I was thinking Norwich could tick the boxes, and I have seen some reasonably priced singles (£40 each way) but I am not sure if I want to travel on a class 158 for that distance
There's a 6 car 170 (splits to 3 at Nottingham) diagram that I believe runs the 0951 from Liverpool (10:39 from Oxford Road) arriving in Norwich at 15:09 if you'd rather that.

Bevan Price

Established Member
For Cardiff or Swansea, Explore Wales (4 days in 8) ticket (£99) is valid from Crewe or Chester via Shrewsbury.
From Manchester, you just need tickets to/from Crewe or Chester.

Tezza1978

Took my 9 year old lad to Derby between Xmas and New Year for a day trip - some interesting museums, nice town centre and visited a couple of good pubs including a Spoons in a nice historic building.

I'd recommend a large range of Northern/Scottish cities that Ive been too on my travels with work and family time but by the sounds of it you've been to all these recently!

Coventry is another good option - Cathedral ruins, main musuem/art gallery nearby is good and especially the Transport Museum well worth a visit. Some excellent pubs including a couple in the (remaining) medieval buildings near the Cathedral ruins

TheSmiths82

For Cardiff or Swansea, Explore Wales (4 days in 8) ticket (£99) is valid from Crewe or Chester via Shrewsbury.
From Manchester, you just need tickets to/from Crewe or Chester.

I have had a look into it, but it is £109 now, and I am not sure if I could buy it from Piccadilly. It would work out a bit cheaper if I went to Swansea then Cardiff, but I would soon eat into that 4 day allowance, would be nervous of expiring it and then having to pay £100 to get back to Manchester. Still an option though.

TheSmiths82

this is a good base and room plus breakfast £40

That is a bit random, but somebody else suggested I might like that. One night there and a couple in Newcastle, I did stay in Newcastle last Easter, but I do enjoy the city. A visit to Beamish might be worth while too, if I was younger I would spend a night at each place, but I am a bit too old for that now, I need to stay in one place for at least two nights.

Ken H

On Moderation
Took my 9 year old lad to Derby between Xmas and New Year for a day trip - some interesting museums, nice town centre and visited a couple of good pubs including a Spoons in a nice historic building.

I'd recommend a large range of Northern/Scottish cities that Ive been too on my travels with work and family time but by the sounds of it you've been to all these recently!

Coventry is another good option - Cathedral ruins, main musuem/art gallery nearby is good and especially the Transport Museum well worth a visit. Some excellent pubs including a couple in the (remaining) medieval buildings near the Cathedral ruins
Check out the herbert art gallery and museum. The guildhall in Bailey Lane is good, by the bombed cathedral. And the Doom painting in Holy Trinity Church. And the rojnd Coventry market hall is worth a look

Tezza1978

Check out the herbert art gallery and museum. The guildhall in Bailey Lane is good, by the bombed cathedral. And the Doom painting in Holy Trinity Church. And the rojnd Coventry market hall is worth a look
I've been to the Herbert (had forgotten the name! - that was the "Main museum" I referred to above - its indeed an interesting and good museum/gallery) - but none of the others - will check them out next time I'm there!

What about the Isle of Wight? It's got an extensive local bus network, as well as frequent ferries to Portsmouth, Southampton or Lymington. The Island Line is also great! There's various cheap hotels dotted around the island, and the coast is never far away! It's not cheap to get there (around £100 single), but I'm sure there'll be ways to cut down on that price, with split ticketing and/or a railcard. It's definitely do-able in 4 days as well.

D6130

Established Member
The OP did specify nightlife as part of his criteria.
When we stayed in Ludlow last July for my wife's birthday, there was plenty of nightlife. A grumpy old retired farmer spoke to us - grudgingly - in one of the pubs....and there was a good live folk singer-songwriter in another. If you want serious entertainment, you can dance to the rhythm of the late evening class 67s accelerating away from the station and watch the sky light-up with the fireworks from their exhausts. Seriously though, it's a very nice town with a very good choice of pubs and restaurants! The castle is rather impressive too. However, if you want the full-on South Shropshire rural weekend experience....Bishop's Castle is yer only man!

greyman42

Established Member
When we stayed in Ludlow last July for my wife's birthday, there was plenty of nightlife. A grumpy old retired farmer spoke to us - grudgingly - in one of the pubs....and there was a good live folk singer-songwriter in another. If you want serious entertainment, you can dance to the rhythm of the late evening class 67s accelerating away from the station and watch the sky light-up with the fireworks from their exhausts. Seriously though, it's a very nice town with a very good choice of pubs and restaurants!
I stand corrected.