• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Instructions to On-Train Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction

Can anyone tell me what instructions are given to on-train staff about when, and how often, they should check tickets, please?

The reason I ask is that I used to travel from Newport to Cardiff Central on the ATW 06.36 service, which came down from Hereford and "waited time" in Newport before going on to Cardiff. It was generally staffed by the same person every day, who, in my time travelling on the train (about a year) very rarely bothered to check the tickets.

This wouldn't have been too much of a problem, as Newport and Cardiff both have ticket barriers. However, for most of the time, those at Newport weren't staffed at that time (they generally opened about 06.45) and so it was easily possible for someone to travel to Cardiff without having their tickets checked.

I accept that the tickets would probably have been checked at the barriers on Cardiff Central, but my onward journey was (and still is) from Central to Cathays. Now, they've got barriers there as well, but they often don't open until gone 07.00/07.30, so the ptential for evasion still existed.

Because the train's now been retimed (it no longer waits at Newport) I don't travel on it now .... but there's a second part to this question, as when I travel to Cathays now, the barriers are often open with no staff present - and this is only about fifteen to thirty minutes after the times quoted above.

So, can anyone help with this, please?

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Cathays is staffed at peak times. Only the very peak too, it seems. I've only seen barrier staff present on less than 1 in 10 of the occasions I've travelled to/from there, at various times of the day.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
instructions are along the lines of safety first, then timekeeping, then customer service ( special needs, queries - especially if there are delays) then revenue (providing ticket machine is working).

also machines may need to be cashed up, the guard may need to pack things up, on the approach to an end of shift / guard change.

if people want to travel on a mode that places revenue above all else (least of all timekeeping) then look at the humble bus. you cannot guarantee the driver has route knowledge or the roof will stay on, but you can guarantee revenue will be collected and there's a good chance of delay.

I know which I prefer...

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Can anyone tell me what instructions are given to on-train staff about when, and how often, they should check tickets, please?

The reason I ask is that I used to travel from Newport to Cardiff Central on the ATW 06.36 service, which came down from Hereford and "waited time" in Newport before going on to Cardiff. It was generally staffed by the same person every day, who, in my time travelling on the train (about a year) very rarely bothered to check the tickets.

This wouldn't have been too much of a problem, as Newport and Cardiff both have ticket barriers. However, for most of the time, those at Newport weren't staffed at that time (they generally opened about 06.45) and so it was easily possible for someone to travel to Cardiff without having their tickets checked.

I accept that the tickets would probably have been checked at the barriers on Cardiff Central, but my onward journey was (and still is) from Central to Cathays. Now, they've got barriers there as well, but they often don't open until gone 07.00/07.30, so the ptential for evasion still existed.

Because the train's now been retimed (it no longer waits at Newport) I don't travel on it now .... but there's a second part to this question, as when I travel to Cathays now, the barriers are often open with no staff present - and this is only about fifteen to thirty minutes after the times quoted above.

So, can anyone help with this, please?

The service you refer to used to be the last up hereford from cardiff about 0030 off cardiff? The crew then stay with the unit and then back down in the morning to form what was the 0636 off newport. Perhaps the guard was tired, perhaps they don't bother to open up the avantix up due to the low revenue intake, i'm really not sure ;) iirc it then formed a service to penarth off cardiff? It tends to be such a quiet service I would imagine there is little revenue to be made. It's often quite rare in my experience to have ticket checks between newport and cardiff, depends how long the train is I guess.

EbbwJunction

Thanks to everyone for this information, it's answered a few of my questions. I'd just like, if I may, to take some of you up on your comments, though.

instructions are along the lines of safety first, then timekeeping, then customer service ( special needs, queries - especially if there are delays) then revenue (providing ticket machine is working).

also machines may need to be cashed up, the guard may need to pack things up, on the approach to an end of shift / guard change.

if people want to travel on a mode that places revenue above all else (least of all timekeeping) then look at the humble bus. you cannot guarantee the driver has route knowledge or the roof will stay on, but you can guarantee revenue will be collected and there's a good chance of delay.

I know which I prefer...

The problem is that I didn't see this chap do anything before or during the journey, as he just seemed to stay in the cab. I accept that he might have been doing some of the things that you say, but I'm not convinced that he was.

I'd be happy with the priorities you state above, but it's important in that case that the staff follow them, isn't it?

The service you refer to used to be the last up hereford from cardiff about 0030 off cardiff? The crew then stay with the unit and then back down in the morning to form what was the 0636 off newport. Perhaps the guard was tired, perhaps they don't bother to open up the avantix up due to the low revenue intake, i'm really not sure ;) iirc it then formed a service to penarth off cardiff? It tends to be such a quiet service I would imagine there is little revenue to be made. It's often quite rare in my experience to have ticket checks between newport and cardiff, depends how long the train is I guess.

Yes, this was the service. It now goes straight through to Cardiff without waiting time at Newport, which is why I don't catch it any more. I do travel on the next train (06.44 to Maesteg) and there are ticket checks on that one - this morning, for example.

No problems ... thanks again!

Chris-P

I travelled from Liverpool to Marks Tey and my ticket wasn't checked once! (someone opened the barriers for me at all the stations, without me showing my ticket, due to the amount of luggage I had and there were no on train checks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.