• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intention to prosecute help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silly Boy

Hi,

As my name suggests, I have been a really silly person.

I was on a Thameslink train and only bought a ticket for part of my journey. The Revenue Officer talked to me, obtained my details and I signed a form stating that I didn't have the right ticket for the journey.

I am so so worried about being prosecuted and am deeply embarrassed. In fact worried isn't the word, petrified is a better word

After a worrying 3 months I have just received a 'Notice of intention to prosecute ' letter and need to reply within 14 days. It also references their intention to take this to the Magistrates Court.

The details of the offence are:

...did enter a train for the purpose of travelling on the railway, and upon inspection at LB; did not produce a valid ticket entitling travel.

Can you advise on a suitable response to GTR.

I am really worried, it talks about criminal record and prison sentence etc.

Thanks

SB

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum.

I would write a short, concise letter of apology in return. Don’t tell a sob story as they will have heard it all before.

You might want to acknowledge that what you did was wrong, apologise, say what you have learned from the incident. You might also want to say that you are keen to resolve the situation and would willing to pay the company’s administrative costs in dealing with the matter as well as the outstanding fare.

They might offer you an out of court settlement rather than prosecuting you. Typically expect to pay around £100 plus the outstanding fare.

I suggest sending the reply by recorded delivery post so you can be certain it was delivered.

Please do let us know how you get on.

CheapAndNerdy

Hello Silly Boy,

You will NOT go to prison.
The wording of the offence details suggests that GTR are considering a charge under railway byelaws. This would be considered a "lesser" offence and a conviction typically does not result in a criminal record.

You should reply with an apology, an acceptance that what you did was wrong, a commitment to never do it again, and ask that consideration be given to accepting a settlement in lieu of court proceedings. GTR may proceed to take the matter to court, but you will be able to plead guilty by post.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi,

As my name suggests, I have been a really silly person.

I was on a Thameslink train and only bought a ticket for part of my journey. The Revenue Officer talked to me, obtained my details and I signed a form stating that I didn't have the right ticket for the journey.

I am so so worried about being prosecuted and am deeply embarrassed. In fact worried isn't the word, petrified is a better word

After a worrying 3 months I have just received a 'Notice of intention to prosecute ' letter and need to reply within 14 days. It also references their intention to take this to the Magistrates Court.

The details of the offence are:

...did enter a train for the purpose of travelling on the railway, and upon inspection at LB; did not produce a valid ticket entitling travel.

Can you advise on a suitable response to GTR.

I am really worried, it talks about criminal record and prison sentence etc.

Thanks

SB

very good set of points posted by Fare-Cop on the sort of thing to say on this thread, probably a good template for you to think about in terms of points to make, where they apply to your circs
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/wmt-magistrates-summons-out-of-court.195188/#post-4295045

Status
Not open for further replies.