• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interchange only station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
Probably one for underground metros, but I wondered if there were any 'interchange only' stations around the world, i.e. a station where two lines cross, and you can change, but has no entrances or exits to the outside world (apart from the inevitable fire escapes).

Does such a thing exist anywhere?

Has anyone ever proposed building such a thing, in a specific place, for specific reasons?

I can imagine reasons such as there being no room for buildings at ground level, or the lines crossing in a place that has other surface routes or is in a very awkward location (e.g. under an airport?).

Perhaps the cost benefit ratio of building a surface entrance is almost always positive...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmh

Established Member
Cornbrook on Manchester Metrolink was originally interchange only with no access from the street.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Cornbrook on Manchester Metrolink was one from 1999-2005. When opened, it only had a fire exit for the simple reason of being in the middle of nothing but derelict industrial wasteland (but useful to interchange between the Salford Quays line and Altrincham)

Back when Berlin was split East/West, one station (on two 'West' Lines but located under East Berlin) was interchange only for obvious reasons.

And Old Oak Common station on HS2, when very first proposed, was interchange only. Until it was realised what a very silly idea that would be!

DavidGrain

Established Member
Last time I was changing trains at Dovey Junction there was just a dirt footpath across a field. I believe the path is over 1/2 mile long.

ijmad

Established Member
Cornbrook on Manchester Metrolink was one from 1999-2005. When opened, it only had a fire exit for the simple reason of being in the middle of nothing but derelict industrial wasteland (but useful to interchange between the Salford Quays line and Altrincham)

Back when Berlin was split East/West, one station (on two 'West' Lines but located under East Berlin) was interchange only for obvious reasons.

And Old Oak Common station on HS2, when very first proposed, was interchange only. Until it was realised what a very silly idea that would be!

Ah yes, the Berlin ones. Didn't think of that despite being there for some months recently!

Old Oak Common is surprising. I guess the route of the lines came first, the thoughts of regeneration of the area came second!

PeterC

Established Member
Last time I was changing trains at Dovey Junction there was just a dirt footpath across a field. I believe the path is over 1/2 mile long.
I had a bit of a debate with a conductor back in the 70s when I wanted a ticket to Dovey Junction as he didn't believe that there was public access. (I walked down the path and hitched the rest of the way to Aberystwyth as there was no southbound connection)

Spartacus

Established Member
I think Trent station was one without any access other than by train, essentially a station from which to transfer between locals and expresses and between local services.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think Trent had an access subway roughly where the power box now is (was) but I can't immediately find a source .

6Gman

Established Member
Bala Junction was interchange only I believe?

Possibly also Afon Wen?

That part of Wales seems to have been rich in this area.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hope Exchange, where the Bidston / Wrexham line crossed the now-closed line from Chester to Mold / Denbigh / Ruthin.

Merthyr Imp

I think Trent had an access subway roughly where the power box now is (was) but I can't immediately find a source .

That's correct - there was a footpath leading to Long Eaton.

I wondered if Dukeries Junction would qualify, but one source says there was 'a long muddy path' leading to it.

pdeaves

Established Member
Boscarne Jn? Did that have public access? I know it was built with the intention of interchange between routes but don't know if it served its local area as well.

Veteran Member
Boscarne Jn? Did that have public access? I know it was built with the intention of interchange between routes but don't know if it served its local area as well.
Looking on Googlemaps the only access to the present station is along the Camel Trail, so back then there was no public access.

etr221

While most of the stations on the West Berlin U- and S-Bahn lines under East Berlin were closed during the Wall era, with trains non-stopping, Friedrichstraße remained open both for interchange between the various 'West' lines that served it, and as a frontier station, with (given the right documents) the ability to exit into the Hauptstadt der DDR - and continue one's journey along the Eastern section of the Stadtbahn (which was partitioned off from the Western section which used the other part of the station). There were DDR duty free shops on the underground platforms, to relieve West Berliners of their Deutsche Marks!

Journeyman

Established Member
Smallbrook Junction on the Isle of Wight, interchange between the steam railway and Island Line. Only open when the steam railway is operating, no road or foot access.

RT4038

Established Member
Killin Junction on the Callander and Oban Line, Cairnie Junction outside Keith.

ijmad

Established Member
Thanks for all your answers. Some very interesting and strange stations and junctions involved here!

ag51ruk

Newark Airport* station in the US (served by New Jersey Transit and Amtrak) has no exit - it is only an interchange to the AirTrain people mover to the airport.

* Newark Liberty International Airport station to give it it's full name!

DavidGrain

Established Member
Newark Airport* station in the US (served by New Jersey Transit and Amtrak) has no exit - it is only an interchange to the AirTrain people mover to the airport.

* Newark Liberty International Airport station to give it it's full name!

Manhattan Transfer (the station not the Jazz band) quote from Wikipoedia
Manhattan Transfer was a passenger transfer station in Harrison, New Jersey, east of Newark, 8.8 miles (14.2 km) west of New York Penn Station on the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) main line, now Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. It operated from 1910 to 1937 and consisted of two 1,100 feet (340 m) car-floor-level platforms, one on each side of the PRR line. It was also served by the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad. There were no pedestrian entrances or exits to the station, as its sole purpose was for passengers to change trains.

mailbyrail

Roudham Junction to the East of Thetford had no road access - and pretty much no trains for most of the time it was open.

Status
Not open for further replies.