• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercity Push/Pull Railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why not? Used to happen when the 47 sat down!!!
More common to have a 47 take over a failure in my researches.

Besides, I don't know why 47s have this reputation as being especially unreliable.

They only seemed to fail more than other classes because there were more of them than any class bar the 08s

If we look at their last days in regular mainline service in the in the 2000s, their maintenance was bring rundown pending Voyagerisation, so that isn't a fair comparison for a start.

In their heyday, were five 47s for every three 37s, so if reliability was equal you'd expect the same ratio of failures on average, ie 67% more 47s than 37s.

There are records of 37s failing on the Far North and being rescued by 27s and even once by a 40! ;)

Richard Scott

Established Member
More common to have a 47 take over a failure in my researches.

Besides, I don't know why 47s have this reputation as being especially unreliable.

They only seemed to fail more than other classes because there were more of them than any class bar the 08s

If we look at their last days in regular mainline service in the in the 2000s, their maintenance was bring rundown pending Voyagerisation, so that isn't a fair comparison for a start.

In their heyday, were five 47s for every three 37s, so if reliability was equal you'd expect the same ratio of failures on average, ie 67% more 47s than 37s.

There are records of 37s failing on the Far North and being rescued by 27s and even once by a 40! ;)
It was only meant as a tongue in cheek quote, not really to be taken too seriously!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Apologies, I think I'm so used to the 47s getting slagged off that I'm overly defensive! Sorry! :lol:
No problem, was never biggest fan of 47s but used to like watching the 47/7s especially pushing out of Haymarket. 47712 was first one I had so bit of a soft spot for that one, but don't tell anyone!

theblackwatch

Established Member
+2. And also, I don’t think the tour would have the same feel with an EE dragging round a Scotraill P-P set..
It just needs the set repainting into blue/grey and D9000 being put into blue, and they can recreate the Oban tours of August 1981. :D

In all seriousness, this tour is excellent value for a 47 fan in my view. I've no interest in travelling on it personally, but may be tempted to go out for a picture.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
No news on other Intercity tours. All of the other LSL brands have announced a 2023 schedule. Any idea why no IC plan yet?

12LDA28C

Established Member
No news on other Intercity tours. All of the other LSL brands have announced a 2023 schedule. Any idea why no IC plan yet?

Rumour is that there are no more IC tours currently planned for 2023, due to some less-than-favourable comments posted on social media about some of their recent tours such as those featuring a Class 40, as well as the Class 37s which stood in for the unavailable 'Peak' recently.

Having said that, I believe there are a couple more tours in the pipeline using 47712 and the DBSO rake.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Rumour is that there are no more IC tours currently planned for 2023, due to some less-than-favourable comments posted on social media about some of their recent tours such as those featuring a Class 40, as well as the Class 37s which stood in for the unavailable 'Peak' recently.

Having said that, I believe there are a couple more tours in the pipeline using 47712 and the DBSO rake.
That would be a shame. Had an excellent time on The Clansman last February.

Wyrleybart

Established Member

I would have thought Intercity were a little more resilient of criticism to be honest. Marketing the class 45 comeback was always risky given the time it has been off the mainline.

The Intercity brand is clearly very good for people who like Mk3 travel and is probably seen as "safer" when there are no opening windows apart from droplights. However, traditional diesel cranks like to hear the thrash so I sorta understand the criticism. Perhaps they should be looking at selecting the unusual OLE branches to cover with LHCS like Redditch to Hadfield or Bromsgrove-Clacton maybe.

jfollows

Established Member
However, traditional diesel cranks like to hear the thrash so I sorta understand the criticism. Perhaps they should be looking at selecting the unusual OLE branches to cover with LHCS like Redditch to Hadfield or Bromsgrove-Clacton maybe.
That's a good idea, I'd go for it, but it comes down to how many other like-minded punters there might be.
I've done Clacton behind an 86 on the Manchester Pullman Mark 2 stock on a railtour shortly after it was withdrawn from regular service and before it was converted to air brakes. Hadfield I missed out on, there was a trip there once which I decided not to take from Manchester and now slightly regret it. I've done a 92 Crewe-Ashford but that must have been before 2000 so more than 20 years ago!
I've nothing against diesel haulage but had my fill of them back in the 1970s and the major concern is that they might fail on the day.

12LDA28C

Established Member
That's a good idea, I'd go for it, but it comes down to how many other like-minded punters there might be.
I've done Clacton behind an 86 on the Manchester Pullman Mark 2 stock on a railtour shortly after it was withdrawn from regular service and before it was converted to air brakes. Hadfield I missed out on, there was a trip there once which I decided not to take from Manchester and now slightly regret it. I've done a 92 Crewe-Ashford but that must have been before 2000 so more than 20 years ago!
I've nothing against diesel haulage but had my fill of them back in the 1970s and the major concern is that they might fail on the day.

Of course, there's no chance that an AC loco might fail on the day, or more likely that there are OHLE problems somewhere en route...

I don't believe the IC website specifies solely AC traction and indeed the Clansman tour proved that isn't the case. Many people will happily pay for a classic diesel on Mark 2 or 3 stock if the itinerary is interesting.

Taunton

Established Member
From 1979, the principal passenger railway operation in Scotland between Edinburgh and Glasgow was operated by a fleet of push-pull trains

To be precise, this was the expression used on the initial and well-known 1971 2x27 service, with a loco at each end, so both Push and Pull both ways. I guess the expression carried on to the single locomotive days. The railway expression for a single loco at one end had traditionally been "Push AND Pull". There's a description of the 'real' push-pull here :

contrex

Aged 8 in 1960, I was fond of the Associated-Rediffusion TV programme, 'The Old Pull and Push', set on a branch line in Kent, and, I now read, mainly filmed around Goudhurst on the branch from Paddock Wood to Hawkhurst shortly before it closed in 1961. Two series altogether, in 1960 and 1961. The plot involved a campaign by two children to save a fictional branch line from closure. I believe the series is now lost, but the theme tune by Terry Lightfoot and his New Orleans Jazzmen is on Youtube. I distinctly remember the singing in which we were told 'it won't break any recurds' and the train seemed to be called 'The old Bull and Bush'. My mother said the singer was 'trying to sound American'.

Iskra

Established Member
The Intercity Railtours website has now been updated to say that a full tour programme for 2023 will be announced soon.

I’m very happy about this, as I was concerned they may have given up with the Intercity brand, after they announced all their other brands tour programmes without mention of Intercity.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
The Intercity Railtours website has now been updated to say that a full tour programme for 2023 will be announced soon.

I’m very happy about this, as I was concerned they may have given up with the Intercity brand, after they announced all their other brands tour programmes without mention of Intercity.
Absolutely not. LSL have spent a considerable sum of money on their INTERCITY fleet of locos and stock so why would they not be keen to use them ?

I am really pleased Jeremy Hosking and his team have got the company to where it is today, and roll on seeing 45118 out on the mainline again.

Iskra

Established Member
Absolutely not. LSL have spent a considerable sum of money on their INTERCITY fleet of locos and stock so why would they not be keen to use them ?

I am really pleased Jeremy Hosking and his team have got the company to where it is today, and roll on seeing 45118 out on the mainline again.
Because they don’t need the money, got upset about some online criticism last year and the business had hardly got off the ground with some trains running fairly empty. They also withdrew the Staycation Express.

bleeder4

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Last I heard they weren't really planning much for the Intercity brand this year as they'd been stung by all the online criticism last year about booked locos not being available and last minute substitutions being made. I'm on the Midland Pullman on Saturday so I'll try and get an update from the crew.

Intercity110

On Moderation
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Last I heard they weren't really planning much for the Intercity brand this year as they'd been stung by all the online criticism last year about booked locos not being available and last minute substitutions being made. I'm on the Midland Pullman on Saturday so I'll try and get an update from the crew.
that's a shame

Iskra

Established Member
Their website says otherwise

12LDA28C

Established Member

I heard that InterCity will not be running a program of tours this year although there may be a few tours using 47712 and the DBSO rake marketed under the IC brand.

Of course that doesn't preclude the IC rake being used for spot-hire purposes or available for hire for 'footexes' and so on.

Their website says otherwise

Their website has said the same for the last 3 months, there has been no update. The other LSL brands such as Midland Pullman, Saphos and Statesman have all advertised their program of tours for 2023.

50002Superb

Given how quickly the 47/7 plus DBSO tour sold out I’m amazed that they haven’t announced a re-run.

Seems like the demand is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.