• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Intercity" TOC train guards - your average day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I was just wondering if any of you work for an "Intercity" TOC as a train guard, and what your average day is like, in terms of where you go, how many days on/off you get, and what your shift consists of.

I hope to hear from some of you, but thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
I was just wondering if any of you work for an "Intercity" TOC as a train guard, and what your average day is like, in terms of where you go, how many days on/off you get, and what your shift consists of.

I hope to hear from some of you, but thanks in advance.

It may be better to go and speak with one, you will get a much better result if you did this.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hi there.

I'm afraid it's difficult to give a definitive answer, as things vary wildly between operators and even between different depots at the same firm. Are you applying or thinking of applying? If you are it would be good to know where you are likely to be working?

Briefly, as with any Guard job there is a mixture of operational duties and customer service. The operational side of things is centred mainly around arriving and departing stations, where you will be responsible for the safe dispatch of the train, as well as being trained to cover any eventuality if things go badly wrong out there. You'll be Rules trained and have periodic assessments on your competence etc. Customer service involves revenue duties, i.e. checking tickets and dealing with any related issues, as well as just generally keeping things running smoothly. Usually you'll tend to be responsible for keeping an eye on the buffet and any problems there too, though most in-house catering bods are very good at what they do. Essentially, you 'run' the train, and the Driverr drives it. Depending on who you work for and what sort of trains you have, there can be a fair bit of basic technical knowledge in your training too, such as isolations and so on which can come under your remit.

Trips obviously depend entirely on where you're working from, but most 'Intercity' Guards do a fairly length trip out and back again from what I know, either to a terminus or to where the next depot take over. Your rostered hours etc will vary depending on the T&Cs at your depot; sundays might be mandatory or they could be optional for example, and so on.

Average shift is: clock on, check the latest safety notices etc, take a copy of your schedule, grab a ticket machine, go and find your train. You may have to 'prep' it (check it over) before you start your journey, then it's off you go! Have your break whenever it's due, do the same again and hopefully end up back where you started. Dump the machine and your takings, walk to the car park, go home! Simple ;)

Some shifts might involve a ride on another train to get somewhere to meet your own train, or in some cases - usually very early or late jobs - the dreaded taxi ride. You might start or end with an empty stock run, always nice, or sometimes you might even stay spare :D

Hope that helps a bit!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.