• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting trip........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just got back from a short break in Inverness, and there was a few interesting happenings along the way!

First of all we had a failed 158 at Nottingham, we had all got on, over on platform 6, and the guard popped his head in and said we all had to get off as the unit had failed and go over to another 158 on platform 2! For anyone that doesn't know Nottingham, platform 2 is a bay platform at the wrong end of the station to the direction of travel you need for the Liverpool service. The unit was intended for the Skegness run, but everyone was pulled off of that train and we all got on! We then went out of Nottingham in the wrong direction, stopped and went back non-stop through Nottingham, I know technically it wasn't non-stop, but I can honestly say I've never gone through Nottingham without stopping, and no doubt I never will again!

I am sure I caught a view of a class 70 passing us on 2 separate occasions during the journey from Liverpool Lime Street to Euston, but I can't be sure.

Network South East liveried class 86? at Wembley. (Well I think it was an 86, I'm never 100% sure on the 86s and 87s, and I didn't get a picture)

One of the sleeper coaches we had to pass through had lost all the main lighting, after a few malts in the lounge car this proved interesting!

While in Inverness we had another failed 158, this time on an Aberdeen service. Luckily this time we hadn't boarded and were only delayed while they bought another 158 in from another platform.

I managed to get a video and photos of a double headed Freightliner class 66 cement tanks train at Aviemore, which was passed in the station by EWS 66 on Stobart tanks, all finished off with the steam loco running round on the Strathspey Steam Railway (pictures up now and video to follow).

We had a signal problem north of Pitlochry and had to proceed with caution and crawl for a good 30 minutes until we were clear of the issues. We then arrived at Perth 25 late and were informed we were being re routed via Stirling and going non stop to Haymarket. Earlier on the air conditioning had failed on the, yes you guessed it, 158, and we had to have all the windows open just to breath, and the train was rammed! We were 30 late leaving Perth but that was dragged back to 15 on arrival at Waverley thanks to the re routing.

Outside Edinburgh I saw a West Coast 37 but didn't have my camera ready.

Also outside Edinburgh there was a rake of East Coast MK3s with a Porterbrook barrier vehicle on one end but the other end was hidden so not sure if it had a loco on. There was also a Cross Country HST stabled with only one power car!

North of Darlington I saw a class 60, 60054 named Charles Babbage, with EWS tanks, but only caught a blurry photo, with the cab of the engine missing.

Just outside Northallerton, on the branch was 60040 'The Territorial Army Centenary' light engine. Its not often I see a class 60 these days, but to see 2 in the space of 10 minutes or so was great, although I didn't manage to get a clear picture of either:(

Saw the New Measurement Train stables at Newcastle, the first time I have ever seen it! And got a photo!

Outside the NRM was an apple green LNER tender on its own, and poking its nose out the shed was 60019 Bittern.

Saw my first Grand Central 180 coming into York.

All in all it was an eventful and very enjoyable trip, will no doubt be doing the same again! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashworth

Established Member
I have just got back from a short break in Inverness, and there was a few interesting happenings along the way!

First of all we had a failed 158 at Nottingham, we had all got on, over on platform 6, and the guard popped his head in and said we all had to get off as the unit had failed and go over to another 158 on platform 2! For anyone that doesn't know Nottingham, platform 2 is a bay platform at the wrong end of the station to the direction of travel you need for the Liverpool service. The unit was intended for the Skegness run, but everyone was pulled off of that train and we all got on! We then went out of Nottingham in the wrong direction, stopped and went back non-stop through Nottingham, I know technically it wasn't non-stop, but I can honestly say I've never gone through Nottingham without stopping, and no doubt I never will again!
:D

I've twice been on trains that have done this at Nottingham during the past year. Both were 156 units going to Mansfield/Worksop. The first time it was from Platform 2, when for a similar reason we had been moved from a train that had broken down. The second time it was from Platform 4B when a train in front had broken down and we had to reverse and run back through the centre road to get around it.
So it may happen to you again!

Tomnick

Established Member
I did the 'opposite' move a few years ago, on a Skegness service from Platform 3. There was no Driver for the Lincoln train in front, so we went out to the West and back non-stop through '3 middle' instead.

Well that's weed on my chips :D

I normally wouldn't have minded this unusual move but once I had loaded our cases in the luggage racks and found our seats and got comfortable the last thing I wanted to do was get off again, let alone cross the bridge and go right to the other end of the station.

Does anyone know if there were any class 70's working on the line between Liverpool Lime Street and Euston on the 17th May, Like I said it was just something I caught out of the corner of my eye, once maybe 30 mins outside Liverpool and again maybe 45 outside Euston. Dam those tiny windows and high speeds of the Pendolinos!

Also any information on what looked like an 86 in Network South East livery at Wembley?

Established Member
That 60 was still there at Northallerton sidings yesterday. Any idea why it is there?

Established Member
Also any information on what looked like an 86 in Network South East livery at Wembley?

I presume you mean Willesden, it'll be 86401. A selection of 86101/701/702 or the far superior Royal Sovereign also seem to mull about on there most of the time these days.

70001 goes through Watford roughly 1800 northbound daily on a liner.

I presume you mean Willesden, it'll be 86401. A selection of 86101/701/702 or the far superior Royal Sovereign also seem to mull about on there most of the time these days.

It was at the same depot as some blue/grey liveried Wrexham & Shropshire coaching stock.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
70001 goes through Watford roughly 1800 northbound daily on a liner.

We travelled on the 13.48 from Liverpool Lime Street, like I say it was only a quick view out of the corner of my eye on both occasions and was more than likely not a 70.
I did read on wnxx that it has failed with a traction motor fault and is currently sat on a wheelskate.

It was definitely on its own, just nice to see it but thought it odd that it was light engine so it failing may explain that.

Bittern

Established Member
I saw that XC HST at Craiginetty as well. Bit mad.

Was your Inverness - Waverley train just a 158 or was it a 158/170 combo? Because I've only ever heard of a 170 being part of the train when a 158 is present doing this trip.

Established Member
Outside Edinburgh I saw a West Coast 37 but didn't have my camera ready.

Also outside Edinburgh there was a rake of East Coast MK3s with a Porterbrook barrier vehicle on one end but the other end was hidden so not sure if it had a loco on. There was also a Cross Country HST stabled with only one power car!
That'd be at Craigentinny. I saw probably the same 37 there, though there was a 67 in front of it at the time, so I didn't get a photo of it.
It's not that unusual, they do turn up there every now and again.

Was your Inverness - Waverley train just a 158 or was it a 158/170 combo? Because I've only ever heard of a 170 being part of the train when a 158 is present doing this trip.

It was a pair of 158's, I saw it 4 out of the 5 days we were there and it was always a pair of 158's. only one of the pair had 1st class on each occasion.

They really need to get a 170 back on that service, it was rammed!

Also noted that they have stopped checking tickets when boarding at Inverness.

A60K

I think it is only done at peak time, unless that has also been done away with. Did Inverness have automated gates at some point in the recent past? Something rings a bell there.

No - Aberdeen has automatic gates, Inverness has never had them. It was made an Open Station around 1983ish, and manual checks only started around 2004 I believe.

CarterUSM

Established Member
No - Aberdeen has automatic gates, Inverness has never had them. It was made an Open Station around 1983ish, and manual checks only started around 2004 I believe.

Have they done away with manual checks altogether then? Perhaps that's what i remembe?

86s 3 windows 87s 2 :)

I instantly thought it was an 86, so sticking with that.
A quick check on Wikipedia shows only one 86 in Network SouthEast livery and is preserved at Willesden, 86401 "Northampton Town", owned by AC Locomotive Group. Its listed as Operational (depot use only).

Last edited:

Mr Spock

I went past Craigentinny on 13th May and 37676 was parked at the north end of the depot.

Bittern

Established Member
Have they done away with manual checks altogether then? Perhaps that's what i remembe?

I got my ticket manually checked at Inverness in Seotember, I think.

What I do recall well though, is that when I asked one of the workers if the 158 in the platform which was forming the 16:53 to Waverley and (unknowingly to me) waiting to couple to a 170 was ready to take her passengers, the worker spoke complete gibberish.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I got my ticket manually checked at Inverness in Seotember, I think.

What I do recall well though, is that when I asked one of the workers if the 158 in the platform which was forming the 16:53 to Waverley and (unknowingly to me) waiting to couple to a 170 was ready to take her passengers, the worker spoke complete gibberish.

What do you expect from a teuchter!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.