• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Internal interview,conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSR LOYAL

Morning guys and gals newbie here. Just off the nightshift so please excuse spelling mistakes, grammer etc. I'm a current scotrail employee and recently applied internally for a conductors role. Got an interview and was wondering if anybody here (in the know or not) could possibly help me out. To be honest I don't really have a clue what sort of questions regarding the role I will be asked. Any help would be appreciated ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Hi FSR Royal. Welcome to the forums! I'm a trainee driver so can't directly answer your question, but I seem to remember some recent threads about Scotrail on this forum. I'm sure someone will come along to help soon, but in the meantime it's probably worth a browse of other threads if you haven't already seen them... and if you can stay awake long enough!

Good luck!

motherwell334

Morning guys and gals newbie here. Just off the nightshift so please excuse spelling mistakes, grammer etc. I'm a current scotrail employee and recently applied internally for a conductors role. Got an interview and was wondering if anybody here (in the know or not) could possibly help me out. To be honest I don't really have a clue what sort of questions regarding the role I will be asked. Any help would be appreciated ;)

You should do research about the job ie Routes, traction etc, also learn about scotrails safety principles, as the interviews are very strucured now

Established Member

What kind of work do you do now? They'll be looking for transferable skills, so what you do now will be a good starting point. Most questions will be "give me an example of when you have done this", so could include:

- worked as part of a team or individually
- worked under pressure or to targets
- worked in a role where safety was priority
- worked in awkward situations
- worked with customers face to face
- had to remember instructions and regulations without reference to a manual or book.

You'll probably be given some sort of maths and ticket selling test as well, along with how to read a timetable and other basic things like that.

FSR LOYAL

Cheers for the information. Will keep you posted how I get on!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You should do research about the job ie Routes, traction etc, also learn about scotrails safety principles, as the interviews are very strucured now

When you say structured...do u have any information about whatay be asked. Thanks.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hi there,

I entered the railway as a Guard for a FirstGroup TOC, so I would imagine that the process would be fairly similar to what I had to do. There should be some 'exam' type written tests, which would generally involve:

- ticket related exercises to test mental arithmetic and your ability to check details of tickets (usually two tests)

- a series of passages of text, generally on a safety theme and including mock procedures or instructions, followed by questions on the content of each one

- a test usually involving grids full of different symbols, numbers and letters requiring you to identify and mark certain characters

Be aware that you will intentionally not have time to complete every test in it's entirety; what they are looking for is the answers you submit to be considered and accurate, rather than rushed and messy. Read everything thoroughly - be particularly careful with the ticket tests; there will often be a section where you will have to calculate fares, and this may include being given cards detailing railcards and restrictions, which you will have to include in your workings out. Getting them wrong can cost you the test.

Many assessments will 'release' those candidates who after a certain sections have not met the required standard. If you complete the above tests ok, your next task will usually be an interview of some sort, where you will be asked about your experience and so on, as somebody has mentioned above. Have plenty of answers lined up in your mind, so that you can give examples of teamwork, dealing with problems, giving excellent customer service, etc. You might also benefit from having some decent background knowledge of SR and First, it's aims and how you are 'part of it' all etc, they like that sort of thing ;)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.