• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Internal Signalling post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lddex

Anyone on here who can give some advice about Internal signalling post.
Is the interview the same 8 non tech skills or do they throw in some rule questions.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdbaggett

Anyone on here who can give some advice about Internal signalling post.
Is the interview the same 8 non tech skills or do they throw in some rule questions.

had one of the other week. its in my opinion quite a bit easier than the non signaller interview.

just questions based on scenarios.

e.g. what would you do if there was a line blockages , spad and trespass all at the same time ect.

TomBoyd

had one of the other week. its in my opinion quite a bit easier than the non signaller interview.

just questions based on scenarios.

e.g. what would you do if there was a line blockages , spad and trespass all at the same time ect.

It should be emphasised that the question isn't what you would do, but how you would prioritise.

TomBoyd

I don't recall any more specifics, but it should be emphasised that the interview isn't testing you on your knowledge of rules and regulations. In each scenario, it is assumed that you deal with the situation by the book. The answers aren't what you do, but how you do it and how you deal with the overall situation.

eg. if the question were about a bridge strike, you won't be required to tell them the speed at which you examine the line. You'll talk about the more nebulous question they're really asking (e.g. a bridge strike happens while you're on the phone to a COSS/SWL, and your kitchen has suddenly burst into flames, what the **** do you do?)

So just know the NTS and be prepared to answer more broadly.

That said, they snuck in specific questions in mine, but as long as you're pretty clued up, you won't get bamboozled. I misheard my interviewer and gave him the wrong answer, and he didn't hold it against me!

nom de guerre

(e.g. a bridge strike happens while you're on the phone to a COSS/SWL, and your kitchen has suddenly burst into flames, what the **** do you do?)

Sounds not too dissimilar to some shifts I've worked recently :)

Thanks, Tom. I don't envisage needing to move anytime soon but it's always worth keeping abreast of changes.

Lddex

While we're on about changes. Does anyone understand the new procedure for internal applications - with giving a role experience to support the CV and getting rid of the SJT and Assessments (For internals). Does this mean its harder for non signallers/ newly qualified sigs internally to apply and get the roles? Or ones who have to reapply for their jobs as they have now been made permanent. I understand why this would be an advantage as the old system never allowed for Sig experience to enter into the equation - but now it seems like its shutting the door on a lot of people.

TomBoyd

While we're on about changes. Does anyone understand the new procedure for internal applications - with giving a role experience to support the CV and getting rid of the SJT and Assessments (For internals). Does this mean its harder for non signallers/ newly qualified sigs internally to apply and get the roles? Or ones who have to reapply for their jobs as they have now been made permanent. I understand why this would be an advantage as the old system never allowed for Sig experience to enter into the equation - but now it seems like its shutting the door on a lot of people.

I had no idea these changes have happened.

Are you sure its not just because your SJT and Assessments are current, and thus you don't have to do them?

Lddex

I had no idea these changes have happened.

Are you sure its not just because your SJT and Assessments are current, and thus you don't have to do them?

I thought it came in 1st December according to the RMT - and it mentioned it on Connect that it was changing in December. I will have another look tomorrow to make sure - but maybe it only applies for people who don't have Assessments or SJT scores as you suggest (If I've understood your reply)

Even so it seems like a bit of a mix - unless they interview both sets of people.

TomBoyd

I may well have not noticed then! My last application was submitted before December!

carriageline

Established Member
He is right, no more SJT/Assessment Center for qualified signallers. Only a document you fill out to demonstrate your experience and what you've dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.