• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Internal v External Candidates for Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newster05

Morning. I'm looking for some advice.
After 25 years in the public sector I've applied to a number of TOCs for a variety of roles - being a trainee train driver my ultimate aim. I've been considering applying for about 5 years now but due to family commitments only now has become the ideal time. Knowing the competition is fierce and process is tough, I considered different roles for this reason; never thinking I'd get this far! I now find myself having passed the MMI and awaiting a DMI in a bit of a quandary. (I've done a private medical so know I'll should be okay with that part of the process). Today I have been offered an interview for a public service job with the same TOC I am awaiting a DMI with. I've read a few threads that say internal applicants can be held up with progression to train driver because of HR holding them back? Has anyone experienced this? One thread I've read said that it's better to be an external candidate. I know the "foot in the door" saying isn't well accepted on here and I don't want it to seem that's what I'm considering. Anyone find that their internal application was held up? Being the same TOC I presume they will know about my awaiting DMI? Any advice please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

My honest advice would be to focus on your dm interview. Cancel all other arrangements ad you need to dedicate your time to passing this interview. It can be achieved and the fact you made it to this point shows you got what they need. Spend your time researching the company and the job and go all out. I was off the street to driver and can see know on the inside how they don't seem to like promoting as then contingency plans to replace their old jobs. Go for it and fib off the test for now. Its driver you want right??

E&W Lucas

Established Member
A lot of what gets put on here by unsuccessful internal applicants is sour grapes/ rumour/ jealousy/ guess work.
If the company has invited you for interview, then you've as much chance of getting the job as any other candidate there. Companies advertise internally first; it doesn't take long to exhaust the supply of suitable internal applicants, so then they start looking outside. Don't let anyone put you off, or tell you that you have to have eperience in any other job on the railway first.

The company should know that you have two active job applications. They've obviously not got a problem with it, so don't worry. If you've passed the MMI, then you have the competencies for driving, so don't bother about "needing experience" from working elsewhere in the industry. Focus on driving; prepare thoroughly, and if you need help, I'm sure someone on here will.
If the other job is better than what you're doing at the moment, then keep that active; otherwise, if you're this close to securing a driving post, I really do not see the point.

Good Luck, and don't let the nay sayers drag you down!

Status
Not open for further replies.