• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International borders you've crossed by land

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
All in vehicles.
By car:
France -> Andorra
Germany -> Austria

By coach:
France -> Belgium
Belgium -> Netherlands
Netherlands -> Germany

By train:
France -> Spain
France -> Belgium
Belgium -> Germany
Germany -> Czechia

Also did each of the above in reverse. Note: whilst I transited through the Netherlands by coach, I did not set foot on Dutch soil.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
UK (England) - France via train under Channel Tunnel, if that counts
UK (NI) - Ireland via train, if that counts

France - Belgium by train AND by road
Belgium - Germany by train AND by road
Germany - Luxembourg by train
Luxembourg - France by train
Luxembourg - Belgium by train
Czech Rep - Germany by train
Austria - Czech Rep by train
Austria - Slovakia by train
Italy - Austria by train
Slovenia - Austria by train
Norway - Sweden by road
Denmark - Sweden by road
Croatia - Slovenia by train
Slovakia - Hungary by train

baz962

Established Member
What was that all about?

Mind you, in my experience I found the border guards on the Canada-US border on or near the I-5 (encountered on a Greyhound bus journey in 2004) very suspicious - and that is as a UK citizen, I would imagine they would be even worse with citizens of non-western countries.

They did let me in, but only after asking me exactly what my final destination was two weeks later (the hotel I was staying in that night would not suffice) and were not at all friendly.

I guess it was particularly bad then because it was during the Bush era. By contrast I found the US border guards at Toronto airport in 2011 (the setup was that you went over the 'border' before joining your flight) much more friendly and respectful.

But to answer the original question, I have crossed several continental borders on footpaths over the mountains, including Austria-Germany, Austria-Italy, France-Spain and France-Italy, just. No borders at all, just unspoilt mountain scenery.

Others, not mentioned yet:

UK-France (Eurostar, arguably that counts as 'land' because no marine transport is required)
France-Germany (road, in the 80s so still a hard border though it seemed to be just a case of show your passport, so easier than hard borders 2020s-style)
Germany-Switzerland (road and rail)
France-Belgium (Eurostar)
Belgium-Netherlands (rail)
Netherlands-Germany (rail)
Belgium-Germany (rail)
Germany-Austria (rail, bus)
Austria-Switzerland (rail)
Strange you had that problem. I was visiting my ex partner just outside Seattle and decided to fly to Vancouver and drive down the I5 and crossed at that crossing in 2003. Had no problems crossing to US and back to Canada and they couldn't be more friendly.

nw1

Established Member
Strange you had that problem. I was visiting my ex partner just outside Seattle and decided to fly to Vancouver and drive down the I5 and crossed at that crossing in 2003. Had no problems crossing to US and back to Canada and they couldn't be more friendly.

Maybe they have an "attitude" towards people that use Greyhound buses; I have heard of a rather snobbish attitude towards Greyhound users in the past.

Calthrop

Established Member
Maybe they have an "attitude" towards people that use Greyhound buses; I have heard of a rather snobbish attitude towards Greyhound users in the past.
One does gather that a large proportion of Greyhound users are poor and disadvantaged folk; who don't have cars, or not ones able to handle long distances. This tends to generate the mentioned "attitude" -- trying to be fair to the "guardians of order", this is probably not solely a matter of unpleasant snobbery and feeling superior: the section of society concerned, does tend unfortunately to have among its members, a bigger-than-average quota of variously "dodgy" characters.