• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International Free Vouchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

First class

Established Member
Hi,

Received my book of vouchers this morning for travelling through Europe.

I got a SNCF, DB AG, VR and RENFE one as they are the administrations I intend to use.

However, using these vouchers seems confusing to me, so if someone could clarify whether my understanding is correct, it would be really appreciated! So:

1) I am assuming each voucher is valid for up to 8 days UNLIMITED travel around that country, (subject to published restrictions). I assume that to obtain the free travel, I simply date the boxes. Each box being valid for 2 days.

2) I am also assuming that as soon as I return to England, regardless of whether I've been to all of the countries I have valid vouchers for, they automatically become void.

3) I can date my voucher and simply board a train and show it to the inspector, who will know what it is. Any reservation required can be obtained on-board the train? I say this because I just want to get on/off trains in these countries, I don't have a fixed itinerary...

4) When can I next apply for the same vouchers? You get so many each year, but does that mean if I apply in October 2009, I have to wait until October 2010, or can I re-apply in January 2010, the new year?

5) Finally, assuming I get a day train from Paris-Berlin (for example), am I permitted to date a SNCF and a DB voucher to get free travel throughout?

Thanks very much!

First Class :lol:

(ooh a side question, why isn't Sweden part of the FIP arrangements any more?)

Here's some picture anyway so you know what I mean:

Finland%20Voucher.jpg

Fip%20Free%20Vouchers.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi,

Received my book of vouchers this morning for travelling through Europe.

I got a SNCF, DB AG, VR and RENFE one as they are the administrations I intend to use.

However, using these vouchers seems confusing to me, so if someone could clarify whether my understanding is correct, it would be really appreciated! So:

1) I am assuming each voucher is valid for up to 8 days UNLIMITED travel around that country, (subject to published restrictions). I assume that to obtain the free travel, I simply date the boxes. Each box being valid for 2 days.

Yes.

2) I am also assuming that as soon as I return to England, regardless of whether I've been to all of the countries I have valid vouchers for, they automatically become void.

Yes, bloody stupid idea, but there you go.
(You could always carefully remove any used coupons and go back to use the ones you didn't use, but I didn't tell you that.)

3) I can date my voucher and simply board a train and show it to the inspector, who will know what it is. Any reservation required can be obtained on-board the train? I say this because I just want to get on/off trains in these countries, I don't have a fixed itinerary...
If you travel on TGVs or Corail Teoz services then you need a seat reservation, I think you do for RENFE, don't know about VR, and DB you can use all trains including ICE but you need to check the travel restrictions on the RSTL website, some busy trains are barred to priv. Everything else just use it as a Rover.

4) When can I next apply for the same vouchers? You get so many each year, but does that mean if I apply in October 2009, I have to wait until October 2010, or can I re-apply in January 2010, the new year?
Year is Jan to Dec, but any coupons you get at the end of the year are valid for 3 months, so if you have some plans bung in for them stating you are travelling at the end of Dec.

5) Finally, assuming I get a day train from Paris-Berlin (for example), am I permitted to date a SNCF and a DB voucher to get free travel throughout?

Not normally the case. A lot of the times coupons are not valid and you need to buy a through ticket at an FIP discount rate. RSTL or DB UK at Surbiton or SNCF in Piccadilly can point you in the right direction.
It is all a bit painful with through International trains, especially TGVs/ICE.
The other thing to be aware of is some grippers, like here in the UK, are a bit dim, and think the box is only valid for 1 day, but now the coupons have written in the local language that it is valid for the day it is dated for and the day after. That's the line that begins Yksi....

Thanks very much!

First Class :lol:

(ooh a side question, why isn't Sweden part of the FIP arrangements any more?)

Here's some picture anyway so you know what I mean:

Finland%20Voucher.jpg

Fip%20Free%20Vouchers.jpg

Death

Established Member
I assume one gets those vouchers as part of a PRIV benefit, don't they? :?:

If so, then I make it that ATOC/NR owe me a good 17 years worth of the things! That's going on the amount of time that I held a BR PRIV for, and subtracting one year for where we took two holidays by Eurostar, making the assumption that we'd have used all of our vouchers for that year on those trips. :)

So all I need to know now is: Where do I apply? <D

I assume one gets those vouchers as part of a PRIV benefit, don't they? :?:

If so, then I make it that ATOC/NR owe me a good 17 years worth of the things! That's going on the amount of time that I held a BR PRIV for, and subtracting one year for where we took two holidays by Eurostar, making the assumption that we'd have used all of our vouchers for that year on those trips. :)

So all I need to know now is: Where do I apply? <D

Do you still work on the railway and who for?
Even new TOC entrants get FIP coupons and FIP discount card. You cannot use the freebies on Eurostar, but your FIP card entitles you to discount fares, currently £19 standard, £38 first per single journey to Lille, Paris or Brussels.
You apply via your staff office or via your contact at RSTL at ATOC.

Established Member
Death, on another thread you said that you were the depenadant of an LUL employee, they did and do not get the same entitlement as an (ex) BR employee (or TOCNE employee).

All they have is a 75% discount card, no free National or International Rail travel and those that have joined more recently do not even get that.

A further point on RENFE, nearly all trains are compulsory reservation; IIRC only those marked Regional and Cercanias (Suburban) do not require a seat reservation. Also, don't rely on being able to purchase a reservation just before the train of your choice leaves - the trains quite often get fully booked and when they are full you will not get on as they do not allow boading without a ticket and seat reservation. You can travel round as much as you like on R and C services.

Also with Germany, beware of the private operators as do not all accept DB FIPs - best to ask first. I did see a list of who accepted what but cannot easily find it on the computer I am currently using; will try and find the link when I get on my normal machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.