• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International Train Driver - Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukos

I don't meet the requirements yet but I'm sure others here do.

http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/about-eurostar/eurostar-careers/search-jobs

International Train Driver
(Ref. 00254)

Apply

Role type
Permanent

Country
United Kingdom

Department
Operations Delivery

Full time / Part time
Full Time

Posting date
03/08/2015

Our Vision is to be Europe’s most loved travel experience. In the world of train travel, Eurostar has been at the leading edge of innovation from day one, back in 1994. Throughout our journey, travellers have been at the centre of everything we do and we've been pioneers in more ways than one. Since we started, we've carried over 140 million passengers. We take thousands of people a day to Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland® Paris and more, and we also run much-loved seasonal trains to the South of France in summer and the French and Swiss Alps for skiing in the winter. As for the future, we're reaching out to new destinations all the time, setting our sights further and bringing more and more European cities closer together.

Eurostar is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.

Role description

From finance to customer service, operations to public relations, it takes a wide range of exciting roles to make Eurostar who we are. Our roles contribute to improving our customer experience in one form or another, and will create the opportunity for you to further develop your skills and your career. Here is an overview of the specific responsibilities for this role:

Eurostar Train Drivers are some of the proudest Train Drivers we know. Their flawless expertise in driving High Speed Trains, over an international network, has helped shape a service that is high in reliability and focused on the Customer experience.

Joining the Eurostar family as a train driver you too will take pride in the service you provide.

Safety and reliability will be at the heart of everything you do and you will make it your job to deliver a service that not only stands true to these values but also offers the very best experience to our customers.

A bit about you and what you need…

· This role requires a level of technical understanding that will enable you to fault find and rectify issues where possible.

· You will need to learn and follow important safety rules and regulations and also demonstrate a good level of judgement in applying them.

· You will be self-disciplined to ensure you are fit and ready for work.

· This is a role that will require you to work well on your own as well as enjoying engaging with others, be it our customers or the rest of the Eurostar family.

· You will already be a qualified Train Driver with a minimum of 3 years train driving experience.

· You will be able to communicate and express yourself clearly in English and be able to attain a good level of French (An initial intensive 7 months of French language training will be delivered followed by a TCF exam : http://www.ciep.fr/tcf)

· We offer an attractive salary plus a range of benefits from an impressive final year salary pension (part of the railway pension scheme) to advantageous travel facilities for you and your family and protected safe guarded status for continuous rail employees.

Salary: from £47686.28 whilst training rising to £63570.14 for a qualified international driver (2014 pay award pending)

Shift Patterns: varied over 24 hours/7 days per week

Hours: 35 hours/4 days average per week

Holidays: 33 including bank/public holidays

If you live life in the fast lane and want to be part of something truly special we encourage you to apply now.

Experience and skills required

Whatever role you are fulfilling, if you are working for Eurostar, you’ll need to demonstrate our core vales – Connected Building lasting bonds with customers by going further. Working as one team across borders. Ambitious Striving every day to be better at what we do. Embracing change and exceeding expectations. Caring Insisting on delivering the highest standards for our customers. Treading lightly as we go.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Interesting. I'm sure they used to ask for high speed driving experience, I think it was over 90mph they asked for. Looks like they've dropped it now. Can't help thinking though that once the novelty wears off Paris and back every day on high speed lines probably gets a little dull though!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Agreed, I think I would get bored although I believe they really do look after you as an employee

E&W Lucas

Established Member
It's always been 5 years high speed experience (100+) before, with a prior knowledge of French being very much preferred.

Lots of ECS work; three rule books to learn, plus the language issue. Hardly any more money, than a domestic inter city driver earns. Not worth the extra hassle.

Minilad

Established Member
I think the boredom factor would get to me too. Same route day in day out wouldn't be my cup of tea. Quite apart from the fact my knowledge of French is non existent and I have no desire to change that!

class373

This may sound like a silly question but I see some of you say it would bore you driving the same route everyday, as Eurostar is seen as ''the pinnacle of British train driving'' if you were to leave for a domestic intercity driver would you be considered overqualified?

red2005

This may sound like a silly question but I see some of you say it would bore you driving the same route everyday, as Eurostar is seen as ''the pinnacle of British train driving'' if you were to leave for a domestic intercity driver would you be considered overqualified?

The pinnacle of British train driving!? Really???

Maybe in terms of salary!

whoosh

Established Member

Nope. GTR (a suburban railway) has at least three drivers who have worked for Eurostar in the past.

irish_rail

Established Member
And at least two on FGW, who tried it and didn't like it. Not all its cracked up to be as I understand.....

Minilad

Established Member

Who sees it as that? Eurostar? Their drivers?
I don't see it as the pinnacle at all. Horses for courses. Some people might get a kick out of it but not everyone. Just as some people seem to revel in working for a certain red operator and consider themselves to be above everyone else.
All nonsense of course. You do what you want to do and what feels right for you

mindthedoors

I think the boredom factor would get to me too. Same route day in day out wouldn't be my cup of tea. Quite apart from the fact my knowledge of French is non existent and I have no desire to change that!

Yeah... i'd hate to go up and down the same route each day :roll:
It's interesting how there is a lack of presence of Eurostar drivers on this forum. Maybe they're out there having a great time!

I can see how plenty of us would prefer the good old Victorian network that slows us down, breaks and clogs up whenever anything would go wrong. It makes the day more interesting.

sarahj

Established Member
I think the dullest job must be shuttle drivers. Spending the day doing a figure of 8zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oneman2000

Does anyone have any info or details about the telephone interview? Would be good to get a heads up on what to expect? Any help grwatly appreciated thanks guys.

TGV

On a normal day, when everything goes to plan, it can be thought of as dull. The line is very samey for much of the northern France route. Brussels turns are a bit more interesting.

But countering that, I have two points.

1. There are plenty of days that aren't "normal" where you have to react to a given situation which could be disruption or a train fault. Lest we forget the job also involves the channel tunnel which has its own rules and level of interest (especially of late).

2. Many have said the route is dull because it would be repetitive. Most drivers have this. It's not like you'd be trundling down the valley lines one day and thrashing up the ECML the next. Once you've done all your routes a hundred times, they become repetitive also. The only difference is that you'll likely have more stations to stop at or junctions to negotiate than with Eurostar.

But make no mistake, when things don't go to plan in the channel tunnel, it is far from boring. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.