• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International travel for the unvaccinated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citybreak1

I just saw this list if Eurpoean countries posted on Twitter, not sure whether it's accurate:

UK
Ireland
Denmark
Norway
Iceland
Poland
Montenegro
Hungary
Lithuania
Slovenia
Romania
Madeira
The list is growing but none where Eurostar goes yet sadly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
France is open to unvaccinated UK travellers from tomorrow, a negative test will be required.

raspberrypeel

The rules are a bit awkward for those of us who got the first two jabs but have refused to get a booster. Some of the stricter countries won't let us in, but some do. I've found that the Foreign Office's country pages are quite a good source of information on this.

LAX54

Established Member
The rules are a bit awkward for those of us who got the first two jabs but have refused to get a booster. Some of the stricter countries won't let us in, but some do. I've found that the Foreign Office's country pages are quite a good source of information on this.
Austria have said that you will be counted as vaccinated ONLY if you are within 270 days of having the BOOSTER, after 270, booster or not, you will be regarded as unvaccinated.

kristiang85

Established Member
Austria have said that you will be counted as vaccinated ONLY if you are within 270 days of having the BOOSTER, after 270, booster or not, you will be regarded as unvaccinated.

I guess they will stop this at some point in the future, probably when they realise they can't keep paying to vaccinate all their citizens every 6-9 months, and when they lose all their ski tourism to other, more sensible countries.

Citybreak1

Shame France still want a test to enter when other countries are fully open. This would put me off going in the short term until they drop the test.

LAX54

Established Member
Seems SPAIN has just reversed it's unvaccinated rules,
Unvaccinated Brits cannot enter Spain , anyone over 12 must show proof of vaccination or a certificate of recovery no older than 180 days

island

Veteran Member
Shame France still want a test to enter when other countries are fully open. This would put me off going in the short term until they drop the test.
You only need a test if you don't have a vaccine or recovery pass.

Citybreak1

You only need a test if you don't have a vaccine or recovery pass.
It’s progress but I wouldn’t want to take a test to be honest. I notice Prague is now fully open no test so maybe worth waiting little longer.

Greece opening in May but already talking about shutting down in September do they know something we don’t know? More restrictions coming back?

Still no movement on Spain Germany Belgium and Holland. I was hoping to go by the summer but if they drop the rules a week before I don’t think I will bother booking. My time it book my July holidays is a few weeks I think it’s another year of stay cautions.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Still no movement on Spain Germany Belgium and Holland. I was hoping to go by the summer but if they drop the rules a week before I don’t think I will bother booking. My time it book my July holidays is a few weeks I think it’s another year of stay cautions.
There are still plenty of European destinations which don't have any restrictions. Any that haven't yet removed their restrictions won't get my patronage!

Citybreak1

There are still plenty of European destinations which don't have any restrictions. Any that haven't yet removed their restrictions won't get my patronage!
Poland and Hungry are a bit close to the war and the next option is places like Norway and Sweden not really beach weather. Being honest only place which appeals is Dublin.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Poland and Hungry are a bit close to the war and the next option is places like Norway and Sweden not really beach weather. Being honest only place which appeals is Dublin.
I would have suggested Switzerland as there are now no longer any domestic restrictions, but unvaccinated people can still only enter if they are Swiss/EU citizens or meet one a limited number of criteria.

The following map from the Sherpa website indicates which countries are open to unvaccinated people from the UK. Those open without any testing/quarantine are dark green, those open with testing are light green and those not permitting entry are orange.
1650286386943.png

So as you say, most of the countries that are restriction-free do border Ukraine, Russia or Belarus (though if you are in the western part of Poland or Hungary for example, I wouldn't consider this risky at all).

Slovenia, Montenegro and Czechia don't border those countries and are restriction-free, at least in terms of arrivals - masks are still required on public transport in Montenegro and Slovenia.

Alternatively you have Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark or Ireland, all of which have also scrapped domestic restrictions including masks.

danm14

Still no movement on Spain Germany Belgium and Holland. I was hoping to go by the summer but if they drop the rules a week before I don’t think I will bother booking. My time it book my July holidays is a few weeks I think it’s another year of stay cautions
The Netherlands is currently fully open to all - to be allowed in if you're unvaccinated, you just need to actively increase the likelihood of being infected by travelling via Ireland (or one of the other fully open EU countries) rather than directly. The Science says so, you see.

Citybreak1

Can we expect more movement by the summer? Most of mainland Europe Northern Europe still essential travel only.

Citybreak1

Belgium open from today how worried should we be about the monkeypox restrictions? I want to book a Eurostar safe without knowing I wont need to cancel and get vouchers like 2020?

LAX54

Established Member
Belgium open from today how worried should we be about the monkeypox restrictions? I want to book a Eurostar safe without knowing I wont need to cancel and get vouchers like 2020?
Is this the first of many ? having been masked up / Locked down / sanitised every 2 minutes, we are now so weak on resistance, any virus will run amok ! ?

kristiang85

Established Member
Is this the first of many ? having been masked up / Locked down / sanitised every 2 minutes, we are now so weak on resistance, any virus will run amok ! ?

I definitely think that this will be an 'unintended consequence' (but entirely predictable) of the two years of COVID mania.

LAX54

Established Member
I definitely think that this will be an 'unintended consequence' (but entirely predictable) of the two years of COVID mania.
"Unintended" maybe, but everyone could see it coming a mile away, from the 1st lockdown, and mask mandate ! now we are, after almost 3 years, getting back to 'normal' every virus under the sun, will come and say "hello" !

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
"Unintended" maybe, but everyone could see it coming a mile away, from the 1st lockdown, and mask mandate ! now we are, after almost 3 years, getting back to 'normal' every virus under the sun, will come and say "hello" !

I can't hep but feel that after a period of being ordered by the state to stay at home the lack of normal exposure that we would have to viruses will have had some effect on our immune systems.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Because we don't know what's going to happen.
Is this just something to hang over everyone's heads forever now? I'm becoming more and more convinced that we should never have locked down; it's let the cat out of the bag for the authoritarians to go on a power trip every time there's the slightest cause for concern.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Is this just something to hang over everyone's heads forever now? I'm becoming more and more convinced that we should never have locked down; it's let the cat out of the bag for the authoritarians to go on a power trip every time there's the slightest cause for concern.
This is my concern too. I've been against lockdown from day 1

Cloud Strife

Established Member

I can't say I think very much about it. I don't even know if the rules obliging you to fill in the Czech and German entry forms are still in place, although I crossed those borders multiple times within a few hours last weekend.

It makes sense to extend the provisions until October, because that's when we'll know if Covid has been tamed (as it was with Omicron in the UK this year) or if it is in danger of overwhelming our medical facilities again.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I can't say I think very much about it. I don't even know if the rules obliging you to fill in the Czech and German entry forms are still in place, although I crossed those borders multiple times within a few hours last weekend.

It makes sense to extend the provisions until October, because that's when we'll know if Covid has been tamed (as it was with Omicron in the UK this year) or if it is in danger of overwhelming our medical facilities again.
Rinse and repeat every winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.