• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intersex Train on SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Train

Established Member
Are left handed people routinely threatened with violence for being left handed? Is the government threatening to ban the discussion of left handed existence in schools? Is the press vocally opposed to left handed people?
Do you think there should therefore be a train painted in a livery supportive of immigrants to the UK, who seem to fit all three of the criteria?
Not that I have any issue with this livery - it's a good thing to do to show inclusivity and, whatever our views and opinions on LGBTQ+ rights, I would hope that everyone on here can agree that inclusivity is a good thing - and that it will extend to all corners of society, and to all marginalised groups*.

*To make it clear, I'm talking about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome, which is something that can and will probably never truly happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QSK19

This is the problem with these sorts of things - such a divisive issues and IMO does more harm than good. It takes away the focus from the rail service’s core principle to give passengers a reliable & comfortable journey and instead stirs up hostile disagreement between the “for” and “against” camps. Yes I get the fact that these sorts of things are on the agenda and absolutely do need promoting; but IMO this is not the medium to do it.

Personally, I am remaining neutral on the issue seeing as I am focussing on what is best for the railway; but following on from what others have said, this sets a precedent for recognising a whole series of things, eg Alanko’s left-handed aspect; blindness; deafness; epilepsy (which I have suffered from and in the past been painted as a dim person who has learning difficulties); Parkinson’s; sickle cell anaemia… the list goes on and on.

On Moderation
Imagine being so insecure that a sticker frightens you. What are you scared of? What will the nasty sticker do to you? Are you worried you might catch "wokiness"?
On the flip side, imagine needing a sticker on a train to help verify your identity.

m0ffy

Do you think there should therefore be a train painted in a livery supportive of immigrants to the UK, who seem to fit all three of the criteria?
Not that I have any issue with this livery - it's a good thing to do to show inclusivity and, whatever our views and opinions on LGBTQ+ rights, I would hope that everyone on here can agree that inclusivity is a good thing - and that it will extend to all corners of society, and to all marginalised groups*.

*To make it clear, I'm talking about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome, which is something that can and will probably never truly happen.
Yes, I would be in favour of that.

On the flip side, imagine needing a sticker on a train to help verify your identity.
It doesn’t “verify” anyone’s identity, it merely says “we support this group.” As other posters have said, this is quite useful in recruitment.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Yes, I would be in favour of that.

It doesn’t “verify” anyone’s identity, it merely says “we support this group.” As other posters have said, this is quite useful in recruitment.
And also may help lgbtqia+ passengers feel safe, most of my friend group is part of the community and I'm what's referred to as the token straight. It's very common for them to be uncomfortable or nervous due to years of discrimination and bullying. And on another note personally they look nice adds a bit of colour.

102 fan

Did SWR have problems with intersex staff, of cases of intersex people being reluctant to apply?

Magdalia

Established Member
what’s inter-sex?
The concept that sex is binary is rooted in religious texts not science.

Inter-sex usually refers to people who biologically do not fit neatly into the male/female binary that is in the religious texts.

Two of the better known examples of it that I'm aware of are people who have XXY chromosomes and people who have androgen insensitivity.

It is very difficult to estimate the prevalence of these because an unknown number of cases are never diagnosed.

It is also possible that there are other biological inter-sex variations, "unknown unknowns" that have not been identified yet.

Is it like trans-gender?
Yes and no. Inter-sex refers to people who don't fit the male/female binary biologically.

Gender usually refers to a social construct that starts before birth, think of baby showers and blue/pink colour codes. Transgender usually refers to people who don't identify as the gender that matches the biological sex with which they were assigned at birth. That's usually done by a medical professional just looking at what is between the baby's legs. It works for people who neatly fit into binary categories, but not for those who don't.

Some transgender people identify as the gender binary opposite of the sex assigned at birth. Others identify as non-binary, or some other identification. Non-binary transgender can be considered to be the gender identity that is nearest to being like biological inter-sex.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’ll be honest, I don’t really “get” the LGBT+ flag stuff but it’s not exactly harmful so I’m happy to let people get on with it. Horses for courses.

It’s a very weird hill to die on though. It’s not detracting from running the train service and it’s an issue that makes people disagreeing with it look unreasonable by default.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
True - But if I am honest I hadn't heard of the term "intersex" before so this prompted me to look it up. That could also be the point of this kind of branding.

Shimbleshanks

The problem I have with all this is not people's sexual orientation/identification (I'm getting towards an age where what others get up to in the privacy of their own bedrooms is of academic interest) but the company virtue-signalling that surrounds it. If I was from some minority or other, I'm not sure I would welcome management bringing to attention the fact that I was 'the only gay in the operating centre' or whatever; most of us probably want to get quietly on with our jobs and blend into the background.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think this is a very valid argument, especially given the base-level passive aggressive hostility present in the industry. Some parts of the railway don’t have a great culture.

The problem I have with all this is not people's sexual orientation/identification (I'm getting towards an age where what others get up to in the privacy of their own bedrooms is of academic interest) but the company virtue-signalling that surrounds it. If I was from some minority or other, I'm not sure I would welcome management bringing to attention the fact that I was 'the only gay in the operating centre' or whatever; most of us probably want to get quietly on with our jobs and blend into the background.
But clearly most LGBT+ people in the workplace do support this sort of move, so I’m not sure why it would be a bad thing overall.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Are left handed people routinely threatened with violence for being left handed? Is the government threatening to ban the discussion of left handed existence in schools? Is the press vocally opposed to left handed people?
In the past many schools did force left-handed people to write with their right hand - probably a hangover from when left-handedness was seen as being a sign of the devil (hence sinister). King George VI was said to be one victim of that.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I have to agree with this.
Honestly, you don't.

You don't "have to" agree with it at all. No-one is pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to post comments on RailUK Forums. You can just get on with your day and stop being cross about something that doesn't affect you in the slightest.

If you do want to get worked up about a supposed waste of money, may I direct you over to the 769 and 442 threads.

66701GBRF

Honestly, you don't.

You don't "have to" agree with it at all. No-one is pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to post comments on RailUK Forums. You can just get on with your day and stop being cross about something that doesn't affect you in the slightest.

If you do want to get worked up about a supposed waste of money, may I direct you over to the 769 and 442 threads.
”Have to” is just a saying, not something to be taken literally or get worked up over.

jon0844

Veteran Member
For goodness sake, it's a bit of coloured vinyl stuck on to the side of a train. It's not going to make a significant difference to the performance of the train, or make it run ten minutes late on a permanent basis.

Darren Grimes, soon to be back on GB News with some panel of like-minded right-wing nutcases all talking in an echo chamber, made the point yesterday that SWT regularly run trains late and that's because they are wasting time on money on stunts like this.

Perhaps the vinyl creates more drag or something (pun unintended)?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Darren Grimes, soon to be back on GB News with some panel of like-minded right-wing nutcases all talking in an echo chamber, made the point yesterday that SWT regularly run trains late and that's because they are wasting time on money on stunts like this.

Perhaps the vinyl creates more drag or something (pun unintended)?
Darren Grimes *is* a drag.

Shimbleshanks

I think this is a very valid argument, especially given the base-level passive aggressive hostility present in the industry. Some parts of the railway don’t have a great culture.

But clearly most LGBT+ people in the workplace do support this sort of move, so I’m not sure why it would be a bad thing overall.
The problem with this sort of virtue-signalling is that everyone knows that once management has got tired of it and moved on to the next corporate band-wagon, the bad old railway culture will reassert itself and things will be no different.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The problem with this sort of virtue-signalling is that everyone knows that once management has got tired of it and moved on to the next corporate band-wagon, the bad old railway culture will reassert itself and things will be no different.
I don’t think that holds much water because there are plenty more LGBT+ people and women in the industry now and the culture is definitely changing a lot.

Lucan

Established Member
Ridiculous. This sort of thing will only tend to polarise people. If intersex people want to get on with doing their thing, then get on with it. They now have all their legal rights, no need to wave flags in public about it.

Were there ever heterosexually decorated trains? I must have missed them if there were.

Turtle

South Western Railway launches first intersex inclusive train​

Full article here: https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/2...lway-launches-first-intersex-inclusive-train/
16603695.jpg
Big splash in Daily Mail today.

Nick Ashwell

Ridiculous. This sort of thing will only tend to polarise people. If intersex people want to get on with doing their thing, then get on with it. They now have all their legal rights, no need to wave flags in public about it.

Were there ever heterosexually decorated trains? I must have missed them if there were.
Because heterosexual people are attacked in the streets for who they love or how they present?

Get a grip.

This doesn't hurt anyone, you'd get by the direction of some comments here that gay, trans, and intersex people threaten straight and cisgender people...

dangie

Established Member
Has ‘Intersex’ become the modern ‘Intercity’…..??

On a serious note, I don’t care what term is used to differentiate sexuality or whatever. Whether it’s LGBT…XYZ or even Martian, I treat everyone the same. To me personality and behaviour is far more important.

Shimbleshanks

I don’t think that holds much water because there are plenty more LGBT+ people and women in the industry now and the culture is definitely changing a lot.
Could be more due to the need to recruit from a wider labour pool than before as the grumpy old white men retire or die off.
It's not true for every employer. I remember a huge furore over the Metropolitan Police's mishandling of the stabbing of that poor black lad in south-east London back in the 1990s - accusations of 'institutional racism and so on. For a time, things did seem to improve with senior policemen launching campaigns to recruit more people from ethnic minorities etc. But now, over 30 years on, it seems the old racist, mysogenist 'canteen culture' reasserted itself once the heat was off.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Only last week we were shocked about a report that detailed prejudicial behaviour in the Met Police and yet here we see an initiative to help stop such behaviour in another organisation and what is the result - anger from some people. :rolleyes:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The irony here is the government gets the fare money. The tocs are paid by the government to run the service. How they spend that money is up to them.

This most of this thread bar a few posts is very negative towards everyone being accepting of all whoever they are.

I didn't see the same level of outrage after SWR had a naming ceremony for a 444 recently. That will also have cost more than a pound.
I would not go as far as negative, but not positive.
Why do train companies have to engage in this nonsense imported from America? Such stunts only increase division and disharmony, by giving everyone a label and seeing them only though the lens of their gender, race, disability etc, rather than as individuals. Why is this particular group of people any more worthy of support than any other minority?
We seem to be so bombarded by the creation/recognition of different minorities that I am beginning to feel left out. I wonder if one day I will discover i am part of a minority so I can feel I "belong".
The same percentage as left handed people then... where is our flag? We don't get one because our identity has nothing to do with our genitalia, what we want to do with our genitalia and how we want to be addressed as while using our genitalia. :cake:

It says a lot about the atomisation of society when you have to hang your entire identity off of one metric, then browbeat everybody else into celebrating with you.
Whaaat. You mean you get it out in public and use it - for writing !.

I am ambidextrous (not joking) so I can use either hand for tasks. It was noticed I used either hand for tasks depending on which side of me was nearer. Mind you I only write with my right hand due to years of practice. If I use my left hand I have flashbacks to when I was so young I could hardly form letters - not unpleasant but really vivid.

My point is I don't care that I am ambidextrous. People don't notice except when friends noticed I played football with the other foot !. So we have to highlight every difference in people to what depth - where does it end ?.
Mumsnet-tier response.

"Everybody I disagree with is insecure". Brilliant logic on display there.
NO - I agree with you, so leave me alone. Sorry couldn't resist it !.
But left-handers have experienced centuries of repression, including being burnt at the stake - why aren't they represented in government, or on the sides of trains?

The fact is that the vast majority of the modern population doesn't care whether you're black or white, gay or straight, etc. - but quite a few do, not unreasonably, object to their taxes being spent on trying to 'convert' the few racists/homophobes/whatever who do still exist - because that's a lost cause not worth wasting effort on, and trying to force them to accept something they're deadset against is only going to harden that mindset.
I would agree it won't change the bullies in society. All it does is make the vast majority of us who don't have an opinion on something get weary.
I worked in management for 25 years. When I started it was virtually impossible to be openly gay in most working environments. For gay people that has changed a lot, for trans people it can still be quite difficult.

What SWR are doing here is a simple and effective way to demonstrate that they are an employer that embraces diversity and inclusion. Look at the picture in #1: the train livery is for and about the people in the picture, and their colleagues, both present and future.

Customers will benefit, because SWR as an employer needs to recruit and retain staff from the widest possible talent pool. Most of those employees, present and future, are going to be millenials and genzees, not grumpy old boomers. Some of them are going to need reassurance that SWR is a safe and welcoming place to work, and that's who SWR are aiming at with this message.

There are three reasons that make this a particularly good time for SWR to be doing this:

• they are hopefully coming to the end of a period of difficult industrial relations, and this is part of engaging with existing staff and rebuilding morale
  • demographic changes mean that the employment market is very tight and this event, by demonstrating that SWR is an employer that embraces diversity and inclusion, will have a positive impact on recruitment and retention
  • the recent Casey Report on the Metropolitan Police has shone a spotlight on what it is like in an institution that does not embrace diversity and inclusion, and every sane employer is going to want to differentiate themselves from that.
I can see the point that this livery and publicity might tap into a section of potential employees that otherwise feel excluded. But is this the best way to do it ?. It is creating friction and the danger is if that friction gets more public than the original message (the livery) was trying to achieve. How about recruitment ads directed at the LGBTQ society (their magazines, forums or meetings). Same for Intersex.

I worked with an openly gay gent. We used to have a good laugh. Think attractive young woman walking into the space and blokes getting a bit too interested - staring is nowadays intimidating. He was certainly not shy !. Really nice guy but I felt a wee bit sorry for attractive males !. But then how do we express ourselves ?.
Intersex people are born with multiple primary sex characteristics, eg, testes and ovaries.

No. But most of us in society are unaware of the prejudice intersex people might get.

I presume that, compared to gender identity, intersex is harder to hide. I am thinking of, for example changing rooms in schools/swimming-pools.
Someone who is biologically male but feels they are female in their mind can hide it by going to the male changing rooms.
Someone with non binary genitalia has no choice as the conflict is plain to see.
Is that right ?.

Been a bit of an education this thread has.

It will get to the point that no two trains in the same TOC will have the same livery. There will be no identity.
Oh yes - I can see this colour scheme trundling around for decades looking very tired and forlorn. Think a couple of years looking clean then a decade rather negative. Its all yet another fad.

66701GBRF

Only last week we were shocked about a report that detailed prejudicial behaviour in the Met Police and yet here we see an initiative to help stop such behaviour in another organisation and what is the result - anger from some people. :rolleyes:

Are you seriously comparing the depths of the METs issues to a train company? What behavior within this train company has been found wanting and how does the vinyl sticker help?

On Moderation
Are there actually more or is it just that the wider change in society has had them feel more comfortable with being themselves?

RunRepeat

Seeing some of the predictable responses to this is depressing. 'Virtue signalling' and 'woke' consistently dragged up yet again. The thing is, like it or not, people who count themselves in the LGBTQI+ community often live their daily lives in fear, and if SWR helping to provide a safe and welcoming environment then that's to be supported. I have two children who fit into this community, a confident outgoing 19 year old daughter who came out at 14 who couldn't care less what people think and would give abuse back with interest, and an 18 year old son who came out to myself and his mother 2 years ago but has yet to develop the confidence to come out in public for fear of the daily nonsense that some members of public dish out.

If you're offended by SWR and their train, the problem is very much with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.