• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview!

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyn29

Hi all,
Just to let you know I have an interview for a Job at Midland Mainline! The position is for a Welcome Officer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
Your possibly talking about gateline staff. MML have something called "Meet & Greet" which means anyone on gateline has to welcome a minimum number of trains to the station - this meaning standing by the exit / end of concourse and saying hello, welcoming everyone to the station, making yourself look like a t**t, etc.

Coxster

Established Member
Good luck with your interview mate :) Be sure to let us know how you get on.

martyn29

I will do mate thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Your possibly talking about gateline staff. MML have something called "Meet & Greet" which means anyone on gateline has to welcome a minimum number of trains to the station - this meaning standing by the exit / end of concourse and saying hello, welcoming everyone to the station, making yourself look like a t**t, etc.
I will enjoy doing this Job if I get it thanks:)

Daniel

Established Member
You'll want to brush up on ticketing skills, too, as you do need to check them on gateline.

AlexS

Established Member
Can't see why. Most gateline staff have no ticketing skills whatsoever, you can hand them any ticket whatsoever and you'll get through - I did it at New Street with a Ramsgate to London Terminals ticket from 1997!

richa2002

Established Member
Can't see why. Most gateline staff have no ticketing skills whatsoever, you can hand them any ticket whatsoever and you'll get through - I did it at New Street with a Ramsgate to London Terminals ticket from 1997!
Haha!

T

Tom

At Waterloo the Evolution are known to accept driving licences as valid tickets to travel...

Ascot

Established Member
Big difference between New Street and MML though, remember brummies and complex don't mix, stick with simple.

Good luck with the job keep us informed.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Pah! I showed my mum's (orange) business card once!

Daniel

Established Member
I generally always use an old Glasgow Subway ticket on London Busses. (For the record, I have an oyster with free travel anyway).

Also showed my Citizen Card by accident at Waterloo and got through on a Weymouth service...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn't bother showing anything on London buses, I've seen loads of people (many who look over 14/16) just get on & nobody seems to care, the driver putting it through as an "LRT pass."

Jim

Established Member

TBH, I belive you! If it looks like a ticket, it is generally fine!

332 > 444

I see 'flashers' has made its way to the NR network, next thing ya'll be doing is passbacks :lol:

Daniel

Established Member
I report pass backs and double-backing... If I pay why should they get it free?! :lol:

dan_atki

Established Member
TBH, I belive you! If it looks like a ticket, it is generally fine!

Yeah, if it's orange and green and got some black writing on it then you'll normally get through. There have been times when they've just held the manual gate open and not even looked at the ticket.
(and they call themselves Revenue Protection Inspectors when they don't protect revenue and they don't inspect).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On many occasions they have no chance of doing a thorough checks as a lot of people (including myself) just show the ticket in the ticket wallet and carry on walking, without stopping.

RJ

Established Member
The ticket barriers aren't much better - I used an Anglia Rover to get into King's Cross Thameslink.

devon_metro

Established Member
I don't have ticket barriers where I live ;) The ones around here are like the tube where you put your ticket in.

dan_atki

Established Member
I hope some of you have valid tickets while doing this fake deceit :)

I always ensure I have a valid ticket for the journey I am undertaking, but it is my opinion that sometimes the TOCs are asking people to fare evade: standing there holding a manual gate open and glancing for a fraction of a second (if that) at tickets.

Like Mojo, I show my ticket in a wallet and stroll through (often without them even glancing at it). If the TOCs don't want us to do that then they should train their staff not to hold a gate open and let people wander through.

martyn29

I always ensure I have a valid ticket for the journey I am undertaking, but it is my opinion that sometimes the TOCs are asking people to fare evade: standing there holding a manual gate open and glancing for a fraction of a second (if that) at tickets.

Like Mojo, I show my ticket in a wallet and stroll through (often without them even glancing at it). If the TOCs don't want us to do that then they should train their staff not to hold a gate open and let people wander through.

I wont be holding any gates open if I get the job!:)

Nick W

Established Member
I hope some of you have valid tickets while doing this fake deceit :)

What is valid anyway?

Is a Colchester - Swindon via Kelvedon AP valid on peak one services because there's no mandatory reservation? It's cheaper than the peak single fare to london... and nothing in the conditions about it being used at peak.

Daniel

Established Member
I wont be holding any gates open if I get the job!:)

Maybe because there are no gates at St Pancras ;). However, the blue doors have actually come into use now, weren't working properly before - (wrong height)!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why shouldn't staff hold the gate open, it's in customers' interests to always go out in the easiest way and delaying them whilst you inspect their tickets is only going to cause irritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.