• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interviewed under Caution for wrong travel card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooked_HT

When your ticket was checked at multiple times during the 4 - 5 months, was it at the same entry/exit barriers?

twice it was checked at station (on platform bridge) where my last check failed and once or twice in train and once at Station B exit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nuts & bolts

twice it was checked at station (on platform bridge) where my last check failed and once or twice in train and once at Station B exit.
The reason I ask is South Western Railway will have access to your journey history on said Oyster card, including the RID hand held device inspection date/timings.

This may coroberate the information you have already given to the Revenue Inspector and could also be a mitigating factor as you may have thought you had the correctly loaded ticket!

Hooked_HT

The reason I ask is South Western Railway will have access to your journey history on said Oyster card, including the RID hand held device inspection date/timings.

This may coroberate the information you have already given to the Revenue Inspector and could also be a mitigating factor as you may have thought you had the correctly loaded ticket!

Oh that is good news then if they can track that my card was checked before at same place and was told all is good, I can remember date as well when it was last checked at same place and was told it is fine. But one mistake I did there as well and that is, I was upset and I told him 10-12 times (without much thinking), where as it was checked only 3-4 times only.

tsr

Established Member
I can't explain why they didn't notice. If they were properly reading your card then it should have flashed a red light saying that you were outside the zones on your card and it hadn't been touched in. I guess it's possible that doing such a repetitive task might mean they miss it occasionally, but I find it hard to believe that this would happen 3-4 times.

There's an incredibly easy way for this to be overlooked.

If the revenue staff are roving around different locations then they may set up the RID device for a specific numbered zone for the location, or if they are on trains they may set it up for "All London Zones".

Then, when the RID device is used to check, it can distinguish whether or not the products on the card allow travel either at a generic location anywhere in London, or else within a specified zone.

Unfortunately, if the device is set for all zones or for the wrong zone, it's entirely possible the card may be shown as being valid when it isn't (or is only valid for part of the journey).

If the member of staff is switching between different zones and different trains then it's easy to become complacent and set the device up for the wrong task. Many staff probably fall foul of this every day.

It doesn't show a red light of any description, either (you're thinking of the largely redundant MOVie readers, which shouldn't be used as they don't work correctly any more) - a fair amount of digging is sometimes required to determine if a product is actually valid. Sometimes the "No valid product" (or similar) screens will show even though there has been a successful touch-in.

Hooked_HT

There's an incredibly easy way for this to be overlooked.

If the revenue staff are roving around different locations then they may set up the RID device for a specific numbered zone for the location, or if they are on trains they may set it up for "All London Zones".

Then, when the RID device is used to check, it can distinguish whether or not the products on the card allow travel either at a generic location anywhere in London, or else within a specified zone.

Unfortunately, if the device is set for all zones or for the wrong zone, it's entirely possible the card may be shown as being valid when it isn't (or is only valid for part of the journey).

If the member of staff is switching between different zones and different trains then it's easy to become complacent and set the device up for the wrong task. Many staff probably fall foul of this every day.

It doesn't show a red light of any description, either (you're thinking of the largely redundant MOVie readers, which shouldn't be used as they don't work correctly any more) - a fair amount of digging is sometimes required to determine if a product is actually valid. Sometimes the "No valid product" (or similar) screens will show even though there has been a successful touch-in.

Thanks for this info. Have never gone into details of this ticketing system and now getting bits of it.

Not sure if their mistake can help me in any way. I don't want to raise a finger but just want them to understand my mistake of considering season ticket same as oyster ticket. Not sure how this will go.

Do we know how much time it takes letter to come?

Hooked_HT

Hi - Have not received the letter yet, but trying to keep my response ready. Here is what I am planning to write, appreciate your comments on this.

--------------

1st Para:

My sincere apologies for using ticket and promise to user correct cards in future

2nd & 3rd para:
Situation which led me to use wrong card obviously blaming myself . And then checks done to my oyster card somehow never flashed that my ticket is not correct and that further added to confusion. I have mentioned this to RPI, so want to mention this or will this annoy them?

4th Para: Mentioning what was discussed with RPI and how I realized how a blunder I have made and then mentioning that next day got the correct travel card and started using it correctly. Also mentioning that now I know all about ticket/oyster and will make sure I am buying correct tickets in future.

5th and 6th: Requesting out of court settlement and requesting to accept payment from me as losses which they have incurred because of my actions. Also mentioning how prosecution will impact my current and future employment

--------------------------
Total 525 words.

Appreciate your guidance on this please.

Thanks

island

Veteran Member
For the sake of avoiding confusion, you should use the correct terminology.

A Travelcard is a ticket valid for one or several days in two or more numbered zones.

A season ticket is a ticket valid for seven days, a month, or longer. It can be between two named stations (“a point to point season ticket”) or in two or more numbered zones (“a Travelcard season ticket”).

Referring to a point to point season ticket as a Travelcard will cause confusion.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
For the sake of avoiding confusion, you should use the correct terminology.

A Travelcard is a ticket valid for one or several days in two or more numbered zones.

A season ticket is a ticket valid for seven days, a month, or longer. It can be between two named stations (“a point to point season ticket”) or in two or more numbered zones (“a Travelcard season ticket”).

Referring to a point to point season ticket as a Travelcard will cause confusion.
Can you no longer get a Travelcard for one zone? You used to be able to

Hooked_HT

Quick update - all sorted now. Got out of court settlement letter form TOC and made payment today.

This is one of the life lesson I leaned. Can say - TOCs can make out who is fare dodging and who has got caught up in genuine mistake. Mine was a genuine mistake and they acknowledged that and issued a genuine fine.

Just to say - thank you to this forum for providing valuable information in the distressing time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.