• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

Adam Williams

Established Member
Indeed, and I said so above.
Missed that, sorry!

But I think in an ideal world the default station offered in cases like this would be the starting station for the first journey to be made, not a later one.
Think I'd agree that that makes sense.

It's quite important though, at times. Some months ago I bought a ticket on the LNER app for a journey involving Merseyrail and was happy with ToD. However, it was after payment that the app gave me the option of selecting a collection station and it didn't include the station I was departing from less than 30 minutes later which had no facilities.
I think as ToD has become widespread, asking for it in most cases has become irrelevant - however, I acknowledge there are still some parts of the network with poor ToD support, and so I think if I was writing the spec today I'd stipulate that if the earliest origin station didn't have facilities, then you need to ask (and in all cases, before payment!)

I can't see that there are that many folks who commonly collect from somewhere other than their first origin when it has ToD facilities.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I think as ToD has become widespread, asking for it in most cases has become irrelevant - however, I acknowledge there are still some parts of the network with poor ToD support, and so I think if I was writing the spec today I'd stipulate that if the earliest origin station didn't have facilities, then you need to ask (and in all cases, before payment!)
It's also reliant on the relevant TOC keeping retail data up to date, of course!

AdamWW

Established Member
I can't see that there are that many folks who commonly collect from somewhere other than their first origin when it has ToD facilities.

Probably not unusual when someone holds a season ticket and uses it for the first leg of a longer journey.

1D54

If you want additional time at a specific interchange point, add a "Change At" Via point and you'll then be able to set the number of extra mins for just that specific change.
And yet everytime i try to book from Kings Cross to New Street via Ely all i get is 'an error has occurred' I am doing it on numerous dates when no rail replacement is in operation.

MrJeeves

Established Member
And yet everytime i try to book from Kings Cross to New Street via Ely all i get is 'an error has occurred' I am doing it on numerous dates when no rail replacement is in operation.
That seems to work fine for me when trying a random date/time:

1D54

I'm trying to get 3 hours at Ely before boarding the last 20:15 to Birmingham.

I'm currently using my phone so hopefully will sort it out later on my laptop.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I'm trying to get 3 hours at Ely before boarding the last 20:15 to Birmingham.

I'm currently using my phone so hopefully will sort it out later on my laptop.
This seems to do it, but you'll need to change the date accordingly.

1D54

Thank you Mr Jeeves. I'm sure I'll sort it out.

I really am shocking when it comes to the easiest things!!

I have worked out the extra time on an outward trip but it is giving me the same time on the return which i don't want. Looked at Timeline but no option to do anything with it there. So sorry to bother you people with such trivialities

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
Thank you Mr Jeeves. I'm sure I'll sort it out.

I really am shocking when it comes to the easiest things!!

I have worked out the extra time on an outward trip but it is giving me the same time on the return which i don't want. Looked at Timeline but no option to do anything with it there. So sorry to bother you people with such trivialities
There should be a option called "use these options for return". If you uncheck that, you can put in the via points per direction, hence can choose to only request the extra time at Ely on the outbound.

Screenshot_20240408-110608.png

1D54

This is for a different trip to Leeds but thanks for the heads up.

Yep, got it all sussed out so once again thanks for the help Mr Jeeves. I will use this site to book once dates etc are sorted.

One last query and apologies if it has been mentioned. What happens if say EMR are operating but Northern are on strike? Can i get a full refund even though the former can get me to and from the destination but i can't complete my intended itinerary because of the latter?

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
One last query and apologies if it has been mentioned. What happens if say EMR are operating but Northern are on strike? Can i get a full refund even though the former can get me to and from the destination but i can't complete my intended itinerary because of the latter?
If you're booked on a TOC affected by a strike, we'll default to a fee-free refund (provided you choose the right option on our refund portal).

I'm not totally sure how it would behave if you were booked on EMR both ways, but customer support would be pragmatic, and if you explain you planned to take Northern back instead I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be entitled to a fee-free refund.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It would be useful if I could have a breakdown of splitsave costs per journey, rather than the splitsave only showing at the end of the transaction for all journeys purchased in one go.

For example at the end of Feburary I booked two journeys in one transaction. One of the journeys work are refunding me for and the other is personal.

In this case only the work journey inclucded split tickets so I got lucky. However, had the personal journey also included split tickets, I would need to know which split ticket costs related to which journey so I could claim the right amount back from work and easily show it.

The alternative is to book separate journeys but that's more work for me.

When I go to the eTickets it is just the ticket cost, and I appreicate why that can't include any split saving costs.

I also don't know how niche a feature this would be. How many people book their own business travel vs having to use another company?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Isn't this something that the expense receipt gives you, on a per journey basis?
I'm not sure it does as it just shows one set of split ticket savings but I booked two separate journeys in the one transection.

I have now downloaded the recepit and it has
Penrith to Guildford
Manchester Oxford Road to Penrith
Total share of saving fees

However there won't be any saving on the Manchester Oxford Road to Penrith as that is a single advanced ticket. I didn't search for Manchester Oxford Road to Guildford via Penrith.

So I would expect the savings cost to only apply to Guildford via Penrith.

Ignore me. I gave found it further down the recepit. Human error

It's the first time I've looked at the recepits and I've used TrainSplit and this forum site for a number of years :lol:

It would however be useful if the recepit was attached to the e-mail, like the train tickets are and the calendar files are.

Last edited:

1D54

So hear i am trying to book a return to Barry with an extra couple of hours on the return at Cardiff. No problem with that but it is also giving me an unwanted long wait at New Street.

The same is happening with an unwanted long wait at Sheffield when all i want is a couple of extra hours at Leeds on outward.

Haywain

Veteran Member
So hear i am trying to book a return to Barry with an extra couple of hours on the return at Cardiff. No problem with that but it is also giving me an unwanted long wait at New Street.

The same is happening with an unwanted long wait at Sheffield when all i want is a couple of extra hours at Leeds on outward.
Go to the advanced options and specify that you want to change at and have extra time at Cardiff Central, than it will not affect other change points.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Used more options and it is giving me the same.. I give up.
In the 'Route options' add a 'Travel via' location and select change at and insert the additional time required. Don't put anything in the 'Changes' and 'Extra change time' sections.

1D54

In the 'Route options' add a 'Travel via' location and select change at and insert the additional time required. Don't put anything in the 'Changes' and 'Extra change time' sections.
Finally sussed it. Thank you.

Last edited:

Fermiboson

Currently planning some controverted trip (Oxford > Gravesend, avoiding London) and the forum site is giving some truly weird itineraries:
1713749914583.png1713749959426.png
RTT says that trains are running on both of these Saturdays (11th and 18th May) as normal. Why does the ticketing site want me to bunk over at Reading station?

BRX

Established Member
Currently planning some controverted trip (Oxford > Gravesend, avoiding London) and the forum site is giving some truly weird itineraries:
View attachment 156846View attachment 156847
RTT says that trains are running on both of these Saturdays (11th and 18th May) as normal. Why does the ticketing site want me to bunk over at Reading station?
I was curious about this and got a similar result for Saturday 11th May (different route though). This was with telling it to avoid "London(all stations)"

The Saturdays before and after the 11th were fine though.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 09.51.46.jpg

MrJeeves

Established Member
LO isn't running between Wandsworth Road and Clapham Junction that weekend, and it might be struggling with that.

If you throw in Via Richmond, it'll give you itineraries using the North London Line to Stratford, then joining HS1 down to Ebbsfleet, plus a rail replacement to Gravesend.

BRX

Established Member
LO isn't running between Wandsworth Road and Clapham Junction that weekend, and it might be struggling with that.

If you throw in Via Richmond, it'll give you itineraries using the North London Line to Stratford, then joining HS1 down to Ebbsfleet, plus a rail replacement to Gravesend.
Spotted that, although if you try NRE for Clapham Junction to Peckham Rye that day, it'll show you a route changing at Battersea Park.

I see that there is a RRB Reading-Guildford which would affect @Fermiboson's journey but shouldn't make it impossible.

paul1609

Established Member
Train split does seem to throw wobblies every so often with routes from Kent for some reason. I put in Appledore to Shrewsbury no via point and got a route via Brighton, Clapham Junction, Basingstoke, Reading & Newport!