• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I am trying to book 4 tickets on 12:13 Euston to Manchester on 20 May. These are standard class advanced tickets at £28 each. When I try to select seats in Coach H, I get the error: Something went wrong. It's likely to be a class 390, Pendolino

I tried a Chrome browser on Windows 10 and also a Chrome browser on the latest Mac OS.
Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 10.29.33.png

I was also interesting in knowing which seats have windows and which don't but only coach H seems to give this information. Avanti seating plans on their Web site also don't show window locations.

I ended up choosing seats in another coach.

A useful thing would be when PDFs are generated they are titled with the start and end stations of the journey and number of tickets, as well as passenger number.

What I end up doing is renaming the PDFs.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I am trying to book 4 tickets on 12:13 Euston to Manchester on 20 May. These are standard class advanced tickets at £28 each. When I try to select seats in Coach H, I get the error: Something went wrong. It's likely to be a class 390, Pendolino

I tried a Chrome browser on Windows 10 and also a Chrome browser on the latest Mac OS.
View attachment 153268

I was also interesting in knowing which seats have windows and which don't but only coach H seems to give this information. Avanti seating plans on their Web site also don't show window locations.

I ended up choosing seats in another coach.

A useful thing would be when PDFs are generated they are titled with the start and end stations of the journey and number of tickets, as well as passenger number.

What I end up doing is renaming the PDFs.
You'll struggle to get a seat in coach H with a standard class ticket, H and beyond are Standard Premium/First Class

infobleep

Veteran Member
You'll struggle to get a seat in coach H with a standard class ticket, H and beyond are Standard Premium/First Class
First class was greyed out but coach H wasn't and it would let me select seats and rhen fail when I tried to confirm.

I did think it was too good to be true but only because I'd looked up what the teem SP stood for. I don't remember seeing the acronym explained on the seat selector page.

SWT_USER

Just booked again.

I purchased tickets with a family railcard and it would have been helpful to know the breakdown of each individual tickets (i.e how much for each adult/child) which I couldn't find until after having paid.

Adam Williams

Established Member
First class was greyed out but coach H wasn't and it would let me select seats and rhen fail when I tried to confirm.

I did think it was too good to be true but only because I'd looked up what the teem SP stood for. I don't remember seeing the acronym explained on the seat selector page.
Standard premium doesn't exist in any industry data, it's just something Avanti have made up out of thin air. SP Advances are Standard Class in the fares data.

The point about improving usability for Pendos is fair enough, but it'll require working  around the industry data, rather than making the seat selector use any structured data that exists.

Mark J

Another question.

Today I logged into the Rail Forum Split Tickets Site. Although I knew that the RF site was an affiliate of Trainsplit, I didn't know the two were directly linked.

I noticed that all my booked journeys through the Trainsplit App also show on the RF Split Tickets Site.

Does this also mean that any tickets booked through RF ticket website will also show in the 'My journeys' and (if ticket option selected) the 'e-tickets' section in the Trainsplit App?

Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
Does this also mean that any tickets booked through RF ticket website will also show in the 'My journeys' and (if ticket option selected) the 'e-tickets' section in the Trainsplit App?
Yes. It also means you'll get push notifications about disruptions/cancellations/platform confirmations to journeys booked on the RF site through the TrainSplit app.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Standard premium doesn't exist in any industry data, it's just something Avanti have made up out of thin air. SP Advances are Standard Class in the fares data.

The point about improving usability for Pendos is fair enough, but it'll require working  around the industry data, rather than making the seat selector use any structured data that exists.
Typical. Not your fault of course.

As an aside I was comparing you to Trainline today because I had set up an account for alerts, which in the end I didn't need, and you were cheaper in the user cases I checked.

I've never used Trainline before as far as I can recall and I'm not about to start now.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Random thing I've noticed. London to Inverness for the 30th May direct with LNER is £60.10 but going via TrainSplit/Rail UK is only bringing up a split for £105.17. I presume an issue with the extended booking horizon?

Attachments

• LNER Website.png
    LNER Website.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 32
  • TrainSplit.png
    TrainSplit.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 32

Adam Williams

Established Member
Tried to use it today, HUD to DWN.
It split the journey at Bromley Cross rather than MCV.
Rubbish.
A search link would be helpful; I've just tried this search and got a Manchester Stations split.

Aspects like the date and time of travel do really matter, and it's difficult to investigate without any real information.

Sapphire Blue

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_230124_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_230124_Chrome.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20240315_225849_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_225849_Chrome.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 43

Sapphire Blue

Yes, that is what it came up with today. And we paid it.
But HUD>MCV and MCV>DWN off peak returns would have been better.

Sapphire Blue

Many apologies.
I was confusing advance singles (and we would have needed two of those) with off peak returns.

Farigiraf

When looking for Cambridge to Glasgow via Leeds and Carlisle (using Settle-Carlisle or Bentham), if I put Cambridge-Glasgow Central or Glasgow Queen Street, it finds some ok-priced tickets of which none suggest using GLQ, but if I try Cambridge-Glasgow Central (with the same exact date, time and via points), which should give me the same itinerary, it either suggests £70+ tickets or doesn't find any itineraries.
Screenshot 2024-03-19 11.03.44 AM.png1710846255731.png
Cambridge-Glasgow Central or Glasgow Queen Street‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ Cambridge-Glasgow Central

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When looking for Cambridge to Glasgow via Leeds and Carlisle (using Settle-Carlisle or Bentham), if I put Cambridge-Glasgow Central or Glasgow Queen Street, it finds some ok-priced tickets of which none suggest using GLQ, but if I try Cambridge-Glasgow Central (with the same exact date, time and via points), which should give me the same itinerary, it either suggests £70+ tickets or doesn't find any itineraries.
View attachment 154505View attachment 154506
Cambridge-Glasgow Central or Glasgow Queen Street‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ Cambridge-Glasgow Central
Do you have a search URL please?

Willie Bee

I am trying to book a single trip for my wife and me (with senior railcards) from Glasgow Queens Street to Newcastle, with extra time at Edinburgh.

See image of details (11th June)

Is it possible to book actual seats (as it would be on the LNER site) .. we like the two seats facing each other.

Any advice would be appreciated

UPDATE !

Sorted now .. I added to basket, then could edit seats .. perfect !

Attachments

• GLQ..NCL  24.jpg
    GLQ..NCL 24.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Farigiraf

1711119151494.png

I've tried this a few times since you posted it and the glitch hasn't reoccurred; if it happens again can you tag me in and let me know?
It is now finding journeys but still doesn't give the itineraries via Settle or Bentham, this time it's suggesting trains via the East Lancashire line (Cambridge-Peterborough-Leeds-Preston-Glasgow).

Edit: I think the price increases are just because of the Advance Single fares going up, but I've noticed that CBG-GLQ/GLC recommends for one of the splits to be Hellifield-Glasgow Central or Queen Street, and if i search for Hellifield-Glasgow Central (same train & time) it offers Hellifield to Central or Queen Street. Why is a Glasgow Central only ticket not available/more expensive?

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
View attachment 154760

It is now finding journeys but still doesn't give the itineraries via Settle or Bentham, this time it's suggesting trains via the East Lancashire line (Cambridge-Peterborough-Leeds-Preston-Glasgow).

Edit: I think the price increases are just because of the Advance Single fares going up, but I've noticed that CBG-GLQ/GLC recommends for one of the splits to be Hellifield-Glasgow Central or Queen Street, and if i search for Hellifield-Glasgow Central (same train & time) it offers Hellifield to Central or Queen Street. Why is a Glasgow Central only ticket not available/more expensive?
Can you provide an example of an itinerary which should be given, but isn't, please?

Farigiraf

Can you provide an example of an itinerary which should be given, but isn't, please?
Cambridge-Peterborough-Leeds-Carlisle-Glasgow Central
Cambridge-Peterborough-Leeds-Lancaster-Glasgow Central
Cambridge-Peterborough-Grantham-Leeds-Lancaster-Glasgow Central
Cambridge-Peterborough-Grantham-Leeds-Carlisle-Glasgow Central

Changes at Grantham would be to avoid a ~70 min wait at PBO and/or because the Harrogate train stops there but not at PBO.

There were also Avanti+Northern only (Hellifield-Glasgow, where it always offers to split) tickets however the TPE inclusive ones were lower price.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cambridge-Peterborough-Leeds-Carlisle-Glasgow Central
Cambridge-Peterborough-Leeds-Lancaster-Glasgow Central
Cambridge-Peterborough-Grantham-Leeds-Lancaster-Glasgow Central
Cambridge-Peterborough-Grantham-Leeds-Carlisle-Glasgow Central

Changes at Grantham would be to avoid a ~70 min wait at PBO and/or because the Harrogate train stops there but not at PBO.

There were also Avanti+Northern only (Hellifield-Glasgow, where it always offers to split) tickets however the TPE inclusive ones were lower price.
OK, thanks; I will take a proper look over the weekend and get back to you.

Justin Smith

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but if we book through this engine can one select seats ?
It's just we'd be travelling as a family

Willie Bee

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but if we book through this engine can one select seats ?
It's just we'd be travelling as a family
I actually asked this only last Friday .. see post just a few above yours.

Luckily, after a quick search online, I discovered that if I added the tickets to my basket, the option of picking seats became available.. i was booking LNER tickets though, one company I know to have a seat selection option.

Others, like TransPennine, just let you select your preferences, then they pick seats for you.

It was a nightmare trying to book a table seat for my wife and I a few months ago, so with a family it would be a joke. I phoned them and they advised me just to book any seats, then call them back, which i did. They then changed the seats to what we wanted.. two together at a table.

On the LNER website, it shows a carriage plan with the seat layout. Any unbooked seat is available .. you simply select what you want and that's it .. PERFECT !!!

With the RailUK site, with an LNER booking, it was pretty similar