• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ireland - Official Dunboyne Line Opening Ceremony Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csalem

Hi all,

The official opening, or reopening, of the Dunboyne line occurred today. The 7.5km line diverges from the Maynooth line at Clonsilla and currently terminates at M3 Parkway, having passed through Hansfield and Dunboyne. Hansfield will open at a later date.

Eventually it is hoped the line will be extended to Navan. Services run Monday to Friday between M3 Parkway and Docklands, and at weekends from M3 Parkway to Connolly.

Passengers services to Dunboyne ceased in 1947, and all services on the line ceased in 1963.

Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey, T.D., performed the official opening ceremony today.

Pictures can be found here:
http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/c1891340.html

Enjoy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Nice shots, shame it wasn't open when I visited Dublin in August. Ah well, will have to go again!

Nightrider

Great to see the line to Dunboyne open and hopefully in the years come it reaches Navan.
Pity more couldn,t be done regarding N.I. railways.
They seem to have been run into the ground outside of the Bangor line.

4SRKT

Established Member
Is this what those peak time workings between Docklands and Clonsilla in the last couple of timetables have been about? Laying the groundwork for this? What sort of frequency is operating on this new service?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Is this what those peak time workings between Docklands and Clonsilla in the last couple of timetables have been about? Laying the groundwork for this? What sort of frequency is operating on this new service?

Half hourly M3 / Docklands in both directions for most of the day.

4SRKT

Established Member
Half hourly M3 / Docklands in both directions for most of the day.

Very good. Does it go to Docklands all day? I would have thought that off peak Connolly, Tara St and Pearse would be more in demand as destinations. I suppose the Luas now goes to Docklands tho, so that's better connectivity to the central northside at least.

4SRKT

Established Member
Ooh, non-stop during the day from Docklands to Clonsilla. Is that wise given the only approximately hour Maynooth service to the intermediate stations?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Question for you Irish chaps. Is the slightly difficult to pronounce station called Glounthaune actually what I would have called Cobh Junction back in the day?

Csalem

Maynooth's service is almost comparable to that on the Northern Line, though is better at times so I don't think they're loosing out.

Yes it was Cobh Junction.

4SRKT

Established Member
Maynooth's service is almost comparable to that on the Northern Line, though is better at times so I don't think they're loosing out.

Yes it was Cobh Junction.

They're not losing out, but they're not sharing in the benefits of the new service either. You need frequency on runs like this, and an hourly service from, say, Drumcondra into town simply won't cut it. Unlike the Northern Line, which has the DART filling in to Howth Junction, the Maynooth service is seving both inner and outer suburban stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.