• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ireland: Wexford, Gort, Clonmel and Nenagh lines in limbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Irish Independent said:
Irish Rail earmarks four routes for axe as it warns pay rise will push it 'towards insolvency'

Irish Rail has earmarked four routes that may be axed if a serious shortfall in its funding is not met and warned that a pay rise sought for staff would push it to the brink of insolvency this year.

In a submission to the Labour Court, seen by the Irish Independent, it says it is in a "perilous financial state" and spells out the options that could land on Transport Minister Shane Ross's desk in the near future.

These include closing routes with the largest State subvention per journey.

The document also reveals that the subsidy for the Limerick to Ballybrophy route is a massive €761.60 per passenger journey, compared with just 70 cent per journey on the Dart.

It said it could save €17.6m a year by shutting down Limerick to Ballybrophy, Limerick Junction to Waterford, Ennis to Athenry on the Limerick to Galway route and Gorey to Rosslare on the Dublin to Rosslare route.

It said the closure of the Limerick to Ballybrophy and Limerick Junction to Waterford lines would yield over €5m a year each.

The closure of the section of the Gorey to Rosslare route would bring in €4.4m, while shutting the Ennis to Athenry route would raise another €2.8m.

It said line closures are among the options mooted in a rail review by the company and the National Transport Authority if the Government does not produce the required funding.

The document also said that giving a 3.75pc a year pay rise sought by unions and making it retrospective to June 1 last year would "result in an immediate financial crisis".

It said if pay rises were not funded by extra productivity they would "have a catastrophic impact" on its financial situation.

Irish Rail said its accumulated losses since 2007 stand at €159m and it requires significant additional funding each year up to 2021, ranging from €90m to €158m a year.

The company's submission to the court is a supplementary one drawn up to give greater detail on its financial position as it resists a pay claim lodged by unions.

Unions initially lodged a claim for a 21pc wage increase over three years, although they later amended this to bring it into line with a 3.75pc pay hike that was awarded at Dublin Bus.

However, sources said that the final settlement for drivers might more closely mirror a cash boost of over 2pc a year on offer in the recent draft pay deal for the public sector that is currently being voted on.

This would bring the drivers' overall increase close to 3.75pc, as it would include a 1.15pc pay rise recently awarded by the court for past productivity measures.

The document says every route in the country needs State subvention.

"In relation to network reductions and line closures it should be noted that every rail service in the country requires subvention ranging from 70 cent per passenger journey on the Dart up to €761.60 on the Limerick to Ballybrophy line," it said.

In said in relation to the potential for line closures, it was listing the routes that have the largest subventions per journey.

The Rail Review said the earliest date for implementation of route closures would be the beginning of next year.

In a notice to members last week, unions for rail workers, Unite, TSSA, TEEU, Siptu and the NBRU told members they would pursue all avenues through State institutions to progress the pay claim.

"However, if we find that Iarnrod Éireann is not 'playing ball' then we will immediately seek a mandate for industrial action in order to force the company to 'do right by its own staff'," said the notice.

If all the proposed closures go ahead, the following stations will be closed:

ENNISCORTHY
WEXFORD O'HANRAHAN
ROSSLARE STRAND
ROSSLARE EUROPORT

CARRICK-ON-SUIR
CLONMEL
CAHIR
TIPPERARY

BALLYBROPHY JUNCTION
ROSCREA
CLOUGHJORDAN
NENAGH
BIRDHILL
CASTLECONNELL

GORT
ARDRAHAN
CRAUGHWELL

It certainly looks like curtains for the Ballybrophy Line. It has only ever been a matter of time for the service through Nenagh. It's a huge shame that it lacked the resources to become the mainline to Limerick, although the infrastructure probably wasn't good enough.

The Rosslare-Fishguard ferry is very awkward, so the Rosslare section isn't surprising. I imagine that closure would also end the ferry service itself. Wexford losing all its trains, however, is a shock, and Enniscorthy doesn't deserve to lose its services either. I imagine that the railway line just doesn't compete with the motorway well enough.

The biggest backlash so far has been for the Waterford-Limerick Junction Line. The line has been threatened with closure before, but it does appear to have enough usage for its survival to be justified.

The line from Ennis to Athenry opened fairly recently. Clearly, Western Rail Corridor is now dead in the water. I think that a connection with Shannon Airport south of Ennis might have given the line a better business case. Sadly, however, it's too late for that.

I'm surprised closure for Ballina hasn't been suggested, but I guess they wouldn't save much...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Probably the least surprising developments in the history of western civilisation; there has been rumour of all four of those going for years.

Isn't there still freight up to Ballina? If so that may provide the saving grace (I can't say I have ever heard of it doing notably poorly to be fair to it though).

DT611

the ballybroaphy branch is beyond saving unfortunately. dispite the partial renewals and the rest journey times have not been reduced and the speeds are the same as if the line hadn't been renewed. The stations served could justify a rail service but to bring the line up to any standard fit for a decent service would just cost to much at this stage, it should never have been left get this far but we are where we are. Also is it me, but the last time this topic came up wasn't the subsidy figure around 400 euro? i find it hard to believe it jumped 300 euro within a year, maybe even a few months, as it doesn'tseem long since the last time it was in the papers.
Limerick junction to waterford i believe also has been renewed, and does have the potential maybe for speed increases and journey time reductions + a decently used service if provided. I believe it still has crossing keepers though so it's problem is whether the money would be spent on automation and the rest, not likely i fear sadly.
goarey rosslare is actually still decently used dispite the motor way in my regular experience of it, it will never be a speedy journey though. Still no reason in my view for it to be on this list and i find the subsidy figure for it hard to believe considering it has been all renewed, and has hardly any staff other then the driver and maybe a staff member at the couple of main stations on shifts.
ennis athenry is one that shouldn't have been reopened, but it seems through passengers from galway to limerick are decent on a number of services. Maybe if needs be the couple of stations could be closed all though stopping at them probably wouldn't save that much time, and would possibly save nothing as they must be rather basic? I don't know as i've never traveled the line and probably never will. It only reopened in 2010, so we will probably see the sligo line past longford back on the hit list before that goes if i'm honest.

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member
Why even keep Gorey? Is it just to say there's still a station somewhere in county Wexford perhaps. I can't believe services could not be recast to run a slightly better service as far as the county town of Wexford, also serving Enniscorthy and avoiding the slow run along the quayside in Wexford, making a quick turnback there and forming an interchange with buses running across the country to Waterford. Clearly Rosslare is a dead duck now with its inconvenient and possibly dangerous walk across the lorry park through the soft Irish drizzle replacing the former purpose built covered interchange and a lack of well timed connections with the ferry.

duesselmartin

Established Member
That Wexford stations should close is beyond me. Trains always had good loadings there and I am certain if frequency were increased, passengers would follow.
The expensive section of that line is roughly Bray to Wicklow due to topography.

daodao

Established Member
The Irish government has spent vast sums on motorways in the last 20 years, which are now used by frequent express coach services. This has abstracted traffic from all its long distance services, not just the 4 lines under immediate threat of closure. The whole network, apart from suburban lines around Dublin, is probably no longer viable.

There is now very little freight traffic either - Ballina is the destination for much of the minimal freight traffic that has survived, which is presumably why the Ballina branch has not been listed for immediate closure.

Survival of any of the railway services outside Dublin will depend on the success of local political lobbying. Brexit could threaten the surviving cross-border route if customs checks need to be re-imposed.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
So than the ferry to Fishguard can not be reached by train anymore in Rosslare.

MarkyT

Established Member
So than the ferry to Fishguard can not be reached by train anymore in Rosslare.

The track was moved and a new platform built about 300m from the ferry terminal across the car and lorry park, ostensibly to avoid a level crossing. The old ferry terminal station was excellent, leading straight out onto a covered platform. I've not been there since the rebuild but from aerial imagery there's no covered walkway and only a tiny bus stop style shelter at the new facility. Bizarely there's a new turntable at the end of the line, presumably provided to turn steam locos for excursions. I've not studied the timetable recently, but the consensus is that Dublin trains (the only ones that remain since closure of the Waterford line) are no longer timed for good connections with the ferries, while express bus services are. While the Dublin area has some good developments, the Republic of Ireland generally is gradually becoming a very poor example of public transport planning and integration.

Hornet

The track was moved and a new platform built about 300m from the ferry terminal across the car and lorry park, ostensibly to avoid a level crossing. The old ferry terminal station was excellent, leading straight out onto a covered platform. I've not been there since the rebuild but from aerial imagery there's no covered walkway and only a tiny bus stop style shelter at the new facility. Bizarely there's a new turntable at the end of the line, presumably provided to turn steam locos for excursions. I've not studied the timetable recently, but the consensus is that Dublin trains (the only ones that remain since closure of the Waterford line) are no longer timed for good connections with the ferries, while express bus services are. While the Dublin area has some good developments, the Republic of Ireland generally is gradually becoming a very poor example of public transport planning and integration.

Rosslare Europort Station. You can see the previous concrete platform and the Ferry terminall building in the upper LHS of the second photo.

Attachments

• Rosslare Europort PH1 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    Rosslare Europort PH1 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Rosslare Europort PH5 10.04.10.jpg
    Rosslare Europort PH5 10.04.10.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 109

Hornet

ENNISCORTHY
WEXFORD O'HANRAHAN
ROSSLARE STRAND
ROSSLARE EUROPORT

Attachments

• Enniscorthy PH2 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    Enniscorthy PH2 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Wexford PH2 (CHOICE) 25.09.10.jpg
    Wexford PH2 (CHOICE) 25.09.10.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Rosslare Strand PH2 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    Rosslare Strand PH2 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Rosslare Europort PH2 (CHOICE) 25.09.10.jpg
    Rosslare Europort PH2 (CHOICE) 25.09.10.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 77

Hornet

CARRICK-ON-SUIR
CLONMEL
CAHIR
TIPPERARY

Attachments

• Carrick-on-Suir PH2 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    Carrick-on-Suir PH2 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Clonmel PH2 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    Clonmel PH2 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Cahir PH1 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    Cahir PH1 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Tipperary PH2 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    Tipperary PH2 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 58

Hornet

BALLYBROPHY JUNCTION
ROSCREA
CLOUGHJORDAN
NENAGH
BIRDHILL
CASTLECONNELL

P.S. BALLYBROPHY JUNCTION is unlikely to close as it is on the main line and serves Borris-in-Ossory.

Attachments

• Ballybrophy  PH2 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    Ballybrophy PH2 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Cloughjordan PH2 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    Cloughjordan PH2 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 50
  • Roscrea PH2 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    Roscrea PH2 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Nenagh PH7 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    Nenagh PH7 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Birdhill PH1 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    Birdhill PH1 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Castleconnell  PH1 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    Castleconnell PH1 (CHOICE) 22.05.10.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 43

Hornet

GORT
ARDRAHAN
CRAUGHWELL

Attachments

• Gort PH5 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    Gort PH5 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 48
  • Ardrahan PH5 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    Ardrahan PH5 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Craughwell PH3 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    Craughwell PH3 (CHOICE) 24.07.10.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 50

MarkyT

Established Member
There is a PPP funded extension scheme underway presently for the M11 to and bypassing Eniscorthy with a long term plan to extend further around Wexford and to Rosslare Europort in the 2020s. I wonder if the future income from that development comes from the number of vehicles attracted to the new road via a shadow toll paid by the government. It would be very 'convenient' for the builder/operator if rail closure inflates the traffic and thus the income on this axis. Smells VERY fishy to me.

Groningen

Established Member
Dublin (Busáras) to Rosslare Europort has a bus connection (line 132). Departing at 17.45 and arriving in Rosslare at 21.30. Not sure whether the ferry is still in the harbour!

Hornet

Dublin (Busáras) to Rosslare Europort has a bus connection (line 132). Departing at 17.45 and arriving in Rosslare at 21.30. Not sure whether the ferry is still in the harbour!

132 is Thursdays only, takes the scenic rouye, and arrives too late for the ferry, especially now that Stena have modified their sailing times. Normally to/from Dublin would be the Bus Eireann services 2 then 40/385. (Wexford Bus Dublin/Wexford is also available).

Hornet

A few shots of the FRRHC (Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company), as leased to Iarnrod Eireann, stations which were the last to be closed a few years back.

BRIDGETOWN
WELLINGTON BRIDGE
BALLYCULLANE
CAMPILE

Attachments

• Bridgetown PH1 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    Bridgetown PH1 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Wellingtonbridge PH7 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    Wellingtonbridge PH7 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Ballycullane PH1 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    Ballycullane PH1 (CHOICE) 10.04.10.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Campile PH1 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    Campile PH1 (CHOICE) 03.04.10.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 51

DT611

Why even keep Gorey? Is it just to say there's still a station somewhere in county Wexford perhaps. I can't believe services could not be recast to run a slightly better service as far as the county town of Wexford, also serving Enniscorthy and avoiding the slow run along the quayside in Wexford, making a quick turnback there and forming an interchange with buses running across the country to Waterford. Clearly Rosslare is a dead duck now with its inconvenient and possibly dangerous walk across the lorry park through the soft Irish drizzle replacing the former purpose built covered interchange and a lack of well timed connections with the ferry.

In my view, it's probably easier to close in stages this one rather then the lot south of greystones, which some of us in ireland who follow the rail as well as use it, believe they would like to do.

The Irish government has spent vast sums on motorways in the last 20 years, which are now used by frequent express coach services. This has abstracted traffic from all its long distance services, not just the 4 lines under immediate threat of closure. The whole network, apart from suburban lines around Dublin, is probably no longer viable.

There is now very little freight traffic either - Ballina is the destination for much of the minimal freight traffic that has survived, which is presumably why the Ballina branch has not been listed for immediate closure.

Survival of any of the railway services outside Dublin will depend on the success of local political lobbying. Brexit could threaten the surviving cross-border route if customs checks need to be re-imposed.

It is true the motor way network has abstracted traffic, but dispite that the majority of the network is still used and is still viable. The express coaches will have attracted passengers but there are a lot of people, many who still use rail, which those services are unlikely to attract dispite lower price and greater frequency, as the train meets their needs far better. as i said in my first post, i reccan 2 of those lines proposed will definitely close, due to needing modernisation, dispite part or all of the perway being renewed. crossing keepers will need to be replaced with automated systems and so on, i'm unsure of the signalling but i believe there might still be manual signalling.

backontrack

Established Member
The Nenagh Line and Rosslare look like basket cases. Whether Wexford, Enniscorthy, Ennis-Athenry and Waterford-Limerick Junction retain their stations is yet to be seen.

It would certainly finish off any prospect of an Irish version of The Next Station Is... :(

daodao

Established Member
In my view, it's probably easier to close in stages this one rather then the lot south of Greystones, which some of us in ireland who follow the rail as well as use it, believe they would like to do.

It is true the motor way network has abstracted traffic, but dispite that the majority of the network is still used and is still viable. The express coaches will have attracted passengers but there are a lot of people, many who still use rail, which those services are unlikely to attract despite lower price and greater frequency, as the train meets their needs far better. as i said in my first post, I reckon 2 of those lines proposed will definitely close, due to needing modernisation, despite part or all of the permanent way being renewed. Crossing keepers will need to be replaced with automated systems and so on. iI'm unsure of the signalling, but I believe there might still be manual signalling.

Powerful unions have also inhibited rationalisation of staffing, which along with retention of old-style level crossings, signalling and underused passing loops significantly increases costs. Equivalent rural lines in GB, such as the Central Wales line, have been extensively redesigned to reduce costs - even so, this line is also not viable. Several of the lines under particular threat had significant freight traffic until 10-20 years ago, e.g. mineral trains from Silvermines (on the Nenagh line) to Foynes.

DT611

Powerful unions have also inhibited rationalisation of staffing, which along with retention of old-style level crossings, signalling and underused passing loops significantly increases costs.

there are very few if any loops left on lj to waterford and i'm unsure of the ballybroaphy branch or ennis athenry's loop status.
as for staffing, unions in ireland actually aren't that powerful. they weren't able to, and didn't stopp rationalisation of staff, the gards have gone, there is no onboard staff on the majority of trains now, revenue staff seem to be few and far between especially outside the dublin area. Station staff seem to be mixed from station to station, with some unstaffed or part time staffed i believe. All though apparently there was a plan to move station staff back on to the long distance trains in a customer service roll (i can't see that happening if i'm honest) . I'd imagine (all though it's just my opinion) that inside the suburban area, stations would be unstaffed bar connolly and heuston stations.
Any crossing keepers and old style signalling left is down to the company not looking for funding to remove them when availible, and no funding been availible for the last while to remove them due to the recession. At least they seem to be kept to 2 of the lines on the hitlist for the most part, lj to waterford and the ballybroaphy branch.

Equivalent rural lines in GB, such as the Central Wales line, have been extensively redesigned to reduce costs - even so, this line is also not viable.

I can't comment on the central wales line or similar, as i've never visited them and i'm unlikely to be able to do so, but i'd imagine if it wasn't viable it would have closed all ready. I will have to take your word on it and do some reading about the line though.

Several of the lines under particular threat had significant freight traffic until 10-20 years ago, e.g. mineral trains from Silvermines (on the Nenagh line) to Foynes.

that's Correct. I think freight off the nenagh line seased in 2009, but i will have to check that out.

richardderby

GORT
ARDRAHAN
CRAUGHWELL

interesting document below from when the line reopened in 2010, new line exceeded passenger number expectations and had 100% passenger growth.
yes, something fishy is going on perhaps...
http://www.westontrack.com

Last edited:

Hornet

interesting document below from when the line reopened in 2010, new line exceeded passenger number expectations and had 100% passenger growth.
yes, something fishy is going on perhaps...
http://www.westontrack.com

Probably competition from coaches on the new M17/M18 Motorway which runs parallel to the reopened route.

After a decade of planning and three years of construction, the new M17/M18 motorway between Tuam and Gort is set to open on Wednesday 27th September, ahead of schedule. Laid out on a largely greenfield route, the 57km stretch of motorway should shave at least 20 minutes from journey times from one end to another (depending on traffic conditions), and will allow traffic to bypass Tuam, Claregalway, Clarinbridge, Kilcolgan, Ardrahan and Gort.

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/galway-m17-m18-motorway/

duesselmartin

Established Member
A few shots of the FRRHC (Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company), as leased to Iarnrod Eireann, stations which were the last to be closed a few years back.

BRIDGETOWN
WELLINGTON BRIDGE
BALLYCULLANE
CAMPILE

Was it their decision to demolish the buildings or IÉs?

Calthrop

Established Member
Might I (not one of the world's computer geniuses) be pardoned for my cheek in asking whether someone learned about Irish rail matters, can direct me to a place on the Net where timetables -- actual "tabular" ones -- for the Irish Republic's railways, can be accessed?

These foreseen closures in the Republic have me -- whose first-hand visits to which country, have so far been minimal -- wondering about the feasibility of a quick-and-dirt-cheap visit to our "other island": to travel over the threatened lines, and others.

Hornet

Might I (not one of the world's computer geniuses) be pardoned for my cheek in asking whether someone learned about Irish rail matters, can direct me to a place on the Net where timetables -- actual "tabular" ones -- for the Irish Republic's railways, can be accessed?

These foreseen closures in the Republic have me -- whose first-hand visits to which country, have so far been minimal -- wondering about the feasibility of a quick-and-dirt-cheap visit to our "other island": to travel over the threatened lines, and others.

http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables

Click 'Timetables by Route' for PDF Timetables.

P.S. I wouldn't use the phrase our 'other island' over here. Will go down like a bucket of wet sick! There are some sensitive souls over these things in this part of the world.

Last edited:

Hornet

Was it their decision to demolish the buildings or IÉs?

Not sure. I might have some details somewhere, but I'm stuck into La Vuelta ATM, followed by a night at the RDS watching Leinster play the Blues, so no time to check.

Calthrop

Established Member
http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables

Click 'Timetables by Route' for PDF Timetables.

P.S. I wouldn't use the phrase our 'other island' over here. Will go down like a bucket of wet sick! There are some sensitive souls over these things in this part of the world.

Many thanks.

"Other island" -- don't worry, I wouldn't, actually in Ireland ! Just: have the impression that those words are often used in Ireland, to signify the biggest island in our archipelago, with all connotations thereof -- I succumbed to the whim to (from safely behind my computer screen) turn the expression around.

Status
Not open for further replies.