irish mk3

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by snakeeyes, 23 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snakeeyes

snakeeyes Member

Any news about these coaches, have they been sold yet?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

4. snakeeyes

snakeeyes Member

thanks sprinterguy,

cant belive that these will go for scrap, what a waste, thet have years of life left in them

5. starrymarkb

starrymarkb Established Member

Thing is who would want them, they are broad gauge. IE are finding the InterCityRailcars give them far more flexibily without the need for runrounds, generator vans etc.

I suspect the cost of coverting to UK gauge and rewiring for locomotive supply was too high for UK operators given the lifespan of the stock.

6. swtandgw

swtandgw Member

If they're getting scrapped, shouldn't the ROSCOs that own our MK3s look to cannibalising the plug door equipment from the Irish MK3s so then when it comes to the next refits, the doors can then finally comply with the ever tightening RVAR?

7. starrymarkb

starrymarkb Established Member

the RVAR has been relaxed a bit in the last few years. The UIC TSIs are now the reference. And are the Plug Doors in Irish Form compliant? UK Coaches will need a lot of strengthening around the car ends (BR did an experimental retrofit in the 1990s to a Mk2) so it may be better off as a bespoke design.

Plus a lot of the Mk3s are not going to get another refit beyond 2020...

8. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    As i said before - what i have been told by one of the engineers who worked on the coaches when they were built it would be quite easy to regauge them to our gauge.

I suppose the main cost might be assoicated with the electrical works needed to get them to work with our locos.

However, i doubt those costs would be excessive IF there was a will (or a need?) to get hold of the coaches

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.