• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish Rail draft 2013 timetables - public consultation process underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Con

The draft 2013 Irish Rail timetables for lines radiating out of Connolly (Rosslare Europort, Belfast Central and Sligo) plus DART and suburban/commuter services are now available online as a PDF and feedback is welcome.

Further details here: http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4685&p=116&n=237

Much later trains now run along the Dunboyne/M3 Parkway branch but most off-peaks are now shuttles from Clonsilla. This of course has the effect of reducing frequencies from Clonsilla to and from Dublin. The much vaunted reduction in Sligo services isn't too bad, only by one each way early morning and evening.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
When I did all the Luas / suburban lines in Dublin this summer the Clonsilla line was very quiet. I did Maynooth then M3 Parkway one after the other on a Tuesday mid-afternoon. Heading out from Dublin-Mayooth my train was about 10% full, with very few if any passengers joining or alighting anywhere apart from Drumcondra and Clonsilla, maybe 15 were left by Maynooth. Returning, about 20 were onboard from Maynooth, a couple joined at Clonsilla and I alighted at Navan Rd Parkway. During my 25 minutes there I saw not one soul. The car park out front was about 40% full, and the booking clerk had vanished into thin air. It was quite a strange experince being at a fairly large station in broad daylight and there being no sign of life at all. No-one boarded or left the train I got off of, similarly no-one boarded or left the train I joined. This was even quieter, maybe 5% full, a 3-car 29000 I recall. Everyone bar me and three others left at Clonsilla. Dunboyne was deserted, and myself and the three others left at M3 Parkway. I got the same train back and was the only one around until Clonsilla, when numbers picked up slightly because it was heading towards peak time now, and Dockalnds station. About 5 alighted with me at Docklands, and about 20 joined. I was the only one to alight at Broombridge (what a horrid stain on Dublin that station is!), and had 7 minutes to join the 6 passengers for the train to Connolly, on a train now about 90% full!

In brief - The cuts along the Clonsilla line don't surprise me, amazing how in three years M3P has gone from 2tph to Docklands to just 1tph to Clonsilla!

Con

Given the economic environment, I think the draft Connolly timetable is entirely reasonable. In addition, the provision of much later trains to and from M3 Parkway, albeit with a change at Clonsilla, is a decided improvement. Hopefully Meath users will actually use the later services, despite the view being put about that Irish commuters are averse to making changes during journeys. It is interesting but typical of the reportage in the Irish Independent in particular that this improvement was glossed over and a negative view was taken.

Still waiting to see the draft Heuston timetables to see how my own regular journeys from the nearby Hazelhatch will be affected!

Eire Sprinter

The public consultation process for lines from Dublin Heuston and regional lines began today.

For further details: http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4732&p=116&n=237

Good news in that there are significant journey time accelerations for InterCity services radiating from Heuston.

Bad news in that the service on regional lines is reduced e.g. Limerick Junction - Clonmel - Waterford from three trains each direction a day to two trains each way - still no Sunday service (only line in Ireland without one) and still no commuter service into Waterford.

GM078

Good point on the lack of a Sunday service, surely there'd be some market for those returning to college on Sunday evenings, there's a number of ITs and Universities that would be potentially linked. All down to whether or not the company is willing.

Good to see a bit of improvement in journey times, the WRC was criticised for not being competitive timewise with the two rivaling bus companies on the route (becoming the case on many other routes too). Can't help but think though that the money spent on reopening Ennis-Athenry would have been better spent on reopening Clonsilla-Navan in full, or even Athenry-Tuam which might have commuter potential.

IR-Mark4/ICR

The Waterford schedule published says a lot about IE and Waterford line. I don't know why the line has being cleared for 100mph a good part of it when there is no beneift. Any time reduction is between Heuston-Kildare and any extra time added to Thomastown-Waterford. Would be great if Aircoach steped in and provided a service as IE are a discrase. For a company broke they have added lots of services today but only line to see a drop is Waterford.

Status
Not open for further replies.