• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irresponsible article on BBC website

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
Has anyone else spotted this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38371449

I need to ask about the video to Station... I was worried you might die on the train tracks.

A few people were, including my mum.

How dangerous was it?

It was literally by chance that we survived. There was no real planning. We didn't even get permission.
Recently I found out we got the train times wrong. The train that would have been coming on the other side was actually due at the time we got off the tracks… We thought we had a good five minutes spare, but we had seconds.
_93075858_3561052d-ec93-4869-9701-5571a8389c60.jpg
Scroll around 3/4 way down- seems to be glamourising rail trespass. Are NR aware this happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
Which is all well and good. But should the tone of the article be "yeah but no but yeah it was soooo dangerous and we nearly got run over and summink and nuffink innit". Until I read the article, the photo just looked like someone pausing for a second on a foot crossing. The text is drawing attention to the trespass.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Scroll around 3/4 way down- seems to be glamourising rail trespass.
Can't really say it's glamorising anything - "It was literally by chance that we survived. There was no real planning. We didn't even get permission." doesn't read as encouraging anything.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Typical of the BBC's modern-day journalistic standards (in other words, typical of the standard of the BBC's modern-day recruits).

fredk

This is a result of education - checking train times thinking it's ok to be on the tracks has killed people. What about freight, empty stock, charters, rhtt, maintenance, you name it. Sadly, if you don't know you just don't know. And in this case sadly Nadia Rose doesn't know.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The subject and the photographer are standing in the six-foot, the most dangerous place to be according to my long-ago PTS course. The photographer has walked over an anti-trespass grid and is probably far enough back to be standing in a gap of four feet or so between two live rails, while concentrating on getting the shot and therefore not paying much attention to where they are putting their feet. I suggest there is enough here for BTP to bring a prosecution.

Dhassell

If you watch the full video, You can see the driver on the platform getting off the Class 455 and waving to them to get off the track, so they are defiantly not meant to be there. :-x

Deepgreen

Established Member
Very poor, but increasingly typical, from the BBC. There will be those who claim objectors are killjoys or nit-pickers, but the photo is simply wrong - there should be an investigation into the circumstances under which it was obtained, and the message it portrays - i.e. that railway trespass is 'cool' and OK for the sake of 'art'. The photographer (I don't believe it was a drone) has clearly trespassed in a very dangerous situation - not just an active railway, but third rail to boot, and should be pursued.

theironroad

Established Member
As I guess her videos are aimed at younger people I think this article has just glossed over the issue of her standing there and her comments that they only found out later they had only seconds before a train came the other way.

Some kids may think if if was ok for her, they can do and do stuff like this on foot crossings.

Foot and level crossings are already one of the highest risk areas for safety incidents on the railway and articles like this really don't help.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Can't really say it's glamorising anything - "It was literally by chance that we survived. There was no real planning. We didn't even get permission." doesn't read as encouraging anything.

To me, the very fact that it has been posted on the net by the BBC is publicising the illegal act and portraying it as somehow daring and brave. It isn't either - it is stupid and irresponsible, and flies directly in the face of campaigns to reduce railway trespass and deaths. The current thread regarding the fatality at Lidlington shows yet again the dangers of railway crossings, and this item should not be dismissed lightly.

Deepgreen

Established Member
As I guess her videos are aimed at younger people I think this article has just glossed over the issue of her standing there and her comments that they only found out later they had only seconds before a train came the other way.

Some kids may think if if was ok for her, they can do and do stuff like this on foot crossings.

Foot and level crossings are already one of the highest risk areas for safety incidents on the railway and articles like this really don't help.

Plus the implication that checking the timetable (even if they had got it right!) is sufficient precaution to allow this sort of trespass! The station is Chipstead, by the way.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
Plus the implication that checking the timetable (even if they had got it right!) is sufficient precaution to allow this sort of trespass! The station is Chipstead, by the way.

According to the announcement, the train was running 13 minutes late anyway. Plus Naz woz there and your mom woz there so they could have done something to stop this.

adc82140

Established Member
To me, the very fact that it has been posted on the net by the BBC is publicising the illegal act and portraying it as somehow daring and brave. It isn't either - it is stupid and irresponsible, and flies directly in the face of campaigns to reduce railway trespass and deaths. The current thread regarding the fatality at Lidlington shows yet again the dangers of railway crossings, and this item should not be dismissed lightly.

Deepgreen has put it far more eloquently that I did in the OP. I have sent a whinge to the BBC and I'm awaiting their response.

AndyPJG

I've registered a formal complaint to the BBC News website for reporting on illegal acts.

Qwerty133

Established Member
I've registered a formal complaint to the BBC News website for reporting on illegal acts.

Of course the BBC should report on illegal acts (unless you think murders and terrorist attacks shouldn't be on the news), its the way in which this is reported that is a problem not the fact they are reporting on something illegal.

Abpj17

I don't see how the BBC is really to blame for this.

It's nothing to do with journalism - the bit people are griping about is an interview with a quote from the girl in the video.

The act happened at least 18 months before the article.

The music bit of the BBC and a panel of judges voted her as as one of the 'sounds'; the news bit is just reporting on that.

The quotes from her acknowledge it's dangerous.

The most constructive thing would be to get the BBC to add a note about it being dangerous and a link to an appropriate rail safety website for kids/teens.

LAX54

Established Member
I don't see how the BBC is really to blame for this.

It's nothing to do with journalism - the bit people are griping about is an interview with a quote from the girl in the video.

The act happened at least 18 months before the article.

The music bit of the BBC and a panel of judges voted her as as one of the 'sounds'; the news bit is just reporting on that.

The quotes from her acknowledge it's dangerous.

The most constructive thing would be to get the BBC to add a note about it being dangerous and a link to an appropriate rail safety website for kids/teens.

Or for the BBC not to cover it at all !

AndyPJG

The BBC News item has been updated with :-

Network Rail has asked the BBC to point out that, while they applaud Nadia Rose on her success, they were concerned to see her music video set on the working railway.
A spokesperson said: "Trespassing on the railway is highly dangerous and can maim or kill you. As the operator of the railway, Network Rail has a responsibility for keeping passengers and visitors safe and we take these responsibilities very seriously. No one wants to stop people from having innocent fun but they should do so safely without putting their lives at risk."

adc82140

Established Member
Good, that was the result I was hoping for. However the Beeb haven't had the decency to respond to my complaint by email as requested. Would only be good manners <(

miami

Established Member
Given that there's only been 2 working days since your complaint email, and

BBC Complaints procedure said:
We email or post over 90% of replies within 2 weeks (10 working days) but cannot always guarantee this. It will also depend on what your complaint is about, how many others we have and practical issues such as whether a production team is on location or otherwise away.

I'm not sure what you are now complaining about?

adc82140

Established Member
As they've dealt with the issue, I'm sure that for their own figures they'd want to mark it as resolved as soon as possible. However, I've not even received a standard "we'll deal with this within x days/weeks" response

miami

Established Member
I suspect there's a long backlog from christmas when there'd be a skeleton staff on, they may well have not even got to your complaint. Probably still sitting behind the grumpy old people complaining Christmas Tele isn't as good as it used to be.

However if you want potentially Irresponsible behaviour:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38223838/is-your-postman-delivering-drugs
Newsbeat obtained MDMA, cannabis and former legal high, Spice using Bitcoin on the "dark web", a collection of thousands of websites that use anonymity tools to hide their IP address.
This part of the internet also contains a marketplace for drugs like heroin and steroids - as well as weapons and fraudulent documents.
We accessed the dark web via the Tor browser, free software which conceal users' identities and their online activity from surveillance.

Posting a frame from a music video as a fluff piece vs buying drugs, I wonder which takes the most effort to ensure the correct checks and balances are passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.