• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) inevitable across the whole network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) inevitable across the whole network and, if so, when will it happen?

Or...

Will the RMT succeed in preventing its universal adoption?

Or...

Are the accessibility obligations such that there has to be a second member of staff on train at all times or all stations must be maned for it to legally run (I fear that such a decision would have to go all the way to the Supreme Court).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Theres many a thread on DCO/DOO do we really need another with the same circular arguments?

NSEFAN

Established Member
Most of the benefits are only experienced by urban services where stops are frequent, as the doors can be operated independently of ticket checking and customer service duties. On intercity services where there's over 20 minutes between stops there's not really any benefit, other than perhaps being able to get away with paying the on board staff less for not having safety critical training or duties.

Most of the benefits are only experienced by urban services where stops are frequent, as the doors can be operated independently of ticket checking and customer service duties. On intercity services where there's over 20 minutes between stops there's not really any benefit, other than perhaps being able to get away with paying the on board staff less for not having safety critical training or duties.

When do you imagine the whole process of converting those urban service to DCO will be done by?

NSEFAN

Established Member
When do you imagine the whole process of converting those urban service to DCO will be done by?
I honestly have no idea. It depends entirely on how long the staff unions can resist it, which is determined both by the will power of the DfT to force changes through and the ability of the RMT/ASLEF to win the public over.

BelleIsle

Most of the benefits are only experienced by urban services where stops are frequent, as the doors can be operated independently of ticket checking and customer service duties

I know of a few rural services on single lines with tight margins where it could be useful too if you need to get to a crossing point on time. Even worse is an urban service on a single line such as the Blackpool South branch.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I know of a few rural services on single lines with tight margins where it could be useful too if you need to get to a crossing point on time. Even worse is an urban service on a single line such as the Blackpool South branch.

It depends what you mean by DCO. Moving control of doors and dispatch to the driver would be a huge benefit in assisting the guard to do the passenger care and assistance and revenue parts of their job more effectively. But I can't really see a case for removing the guard completely or making them optional on rural branch lines.

I don't see any role at all on the network for non-revenue guards, though. All guards should be revenue guards, even if all they do is check rather than sell tickets because a given route is fully barriered.

Mollman

Established Member
DCO itself varies, so on Voyagers the driver does control the doors but only closes them when signaled by the guard. It's introduction network wide will depend on what else it is being packaged with. The RMT's big beef has been with the proposed removal of a 2nd safety critical member of staff, for inter-urban and rural service this should be an essential requirement as an incident can take place miles from civilisation.

Am I correct in the following summary going Clockwise from Liverpool Street
London Overground and Greater Anglia already have DCO
C2C already has DCO
Southeastern already has DCO
Southern does not
Southwestern does not
GWR - no idea
Chiltern does not
Thameslink/GNR already have DCO.

The big beef at the moment is on SWR, given that they are in a fight with DFT over power for extra trains have they got the stomach for another fight with RMT if they hold out?

Carlisle

Established Member
The RMT's big beef has been with the proposed removal of a 2nd safety critical member of staff, for inter-urban and rural service .
Since Mr Cash took over the RMT, they so far refuse to accept any additional DOO on any type of service , be it inner suburban, inter urban, rural or whatever.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Indeed, I should perhaps have said "services with frequent stops" as this is the common factor.

HowardGWR

Established Member
DCO itself varies, so on Voyagers the driver does control the doors but only closes them when signaled by the guard. It's introduction network wide will depend on what else it is being packaged with. The RMT's big beef has been with the proposed removal of a 2nd safety critical member of staff, for inter-urban and rural service this should be an essential requirement as an incident can take place miles from civilisation.
That's not DCO (on Voyagers, first sentence). Good that we have a general thread now and perhaps the local ones could just deal with local issues and this one be improved by keeping the state of the nation and the persecution of the workers out of it. There would be no point in having a voyager arrangement on local services, as the whole point is take the on board person out of it, either to concentrate on serving customers, or not being present on suburban services, where all stations are barriered and there are RPIs carrying out random checks.

hwl

Established Member
Am I correct in the following summary going Clockwise from Liverpool Street
London Overground and Greater Anglia already have DCO
C2C already has DCO
Southeastern already has DCO
Southern does not
Southwestern does not
GWR - no idea
Chiltern does not
Thameslink/GNR already have DCO.

The big beef at the moment is on SWR, given that they are in a fight with DFT over power for extra trains have they got the stomach for another fight with RMT if they hold out?
Southern Metro has been DOO since BR times.
GWR Thames Valley stopping services (ex Thames Trains) is DOO

387star

On Moderation
Present DOO/DCO

Chiltern south of Banbury
Whole of C2C
Glasgow suburban
London Overground
Southeastern Metro
Thsmeslink Great Northern and Gatwick Express
Southern Metro and all non 172 313 Southern services aside west London line and Guildford
GWR LTV area
Heathrow Express
Whole of Greater Anglia aside Intercity and Regional Railways sectors with some exceptions to Clacton etc

NSEFAN

Established Member
In an effort to win the public opinion, the DfT have been using this DCO term instead of DOO, as it allows them to muddy the waters. Operationally, DOO and DCO are the same but "Driver Only" implies to the public that there's no other staff on board when this needn't be the case.

Esker-pades

Established Member
No.

Unstaffed stations exist. A conductor is required to sell tickets, otherwise evasion will balloon.

Request stops exist. A conductor is required to allow people to get off there.

coppercapped

Established Member
Present DOO/DCO

Whole of C2C
Glasgow suburban
London Overground
Southeastern Metro
Southern Metro and all non 172 313 Southern services aside west London line and Guildford
GWR LTV area
Heathrow Express
Whole of Greater Anglia aside Intercity and Regional Railways sectors with some exceptions to Clacton etc
In addition some 1.1bn passenger journeys are made on the London Underground railways each year which really are DOO, there being no other staff member on board.

This is nearly half of all the passenger journeys made in GB, the current figure for National Rail being around 1.6bn per year.

So already well over half, probably nearer three quarters, of all the passengers travelling by train in GB are being moved in DOO trains or in trains where only the driver is responsible for door operation even if another crew member is on board.

So to answer bringbackcrouc's questions:

(a) probably
(b) as long as the RMT's management does not change, the runes suggest it will continue a long drawn out rearguard action
(c) depends on the strength of the disability lobby.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I've long wondered why they don't fit bus style stop buttons for that purpose. Works well in Switzerland, and I expect would here as most people have used a bus at some point and know that you[1] press the button to get off. A small fleet like the Cambrian 158s would be relatively easy to fit, and these days no cabling is required as there are wireless versions powered by the actual push!

[1] Mostly. I know in some parts of the country there used to be a culture of "thou shalt not press the bell" :)

That's a good point I've not heard mentioned before, especially on the Northern thread (and I'm not trawling through 140+ pages to find it if it has!)

Unless they're going to implement some kind of 'book in advance' system like passenger assistance the only other option on existing rolling stock is the passcom (as I believe the "press button to speak to driver" is called) - and that'd be a big no-no as it's for emergencies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's a good point I've not heard mentioned before, especially on the Northern thread (and I'm not trawling through 140+ pages to find it if it has!)

Unless they're going to implement some kind of 'book in advance' system like passenger assistance the only other option on existing rolling stock is the passcom (as I believe the "press button to speak to driver" is called) - and that'd be a big no-no as it's for emergencies.

https://www.teknoware.com/en/vehicl...bus-interior-lights/wireless-bell-push-system

Though I'm sure the railway would find a way to make it expensive and complex as it usually does.

Moonshot

Established Member
What is the difference in dwell times between a train with doors operated by driver and doors operated by guard?

gsnedders

Established Member
What's the situation elsewhere in Europe? AFAIK there's a lot of variation (from all regional services being DOO to everything having at least two members of staff)?

Kite159

Veteran Member
No.

Unstaffed stations exist. A conductor is required to sell tickets, otherwise evasion will balloon.

The two rural unstaffed stations between Aylesbury & Princes Risborough have no ticket buying faculties (Little Kimble has an out of order Permit to Travel machine, Monks Risborough had nothing as far as I could tell). Now the 121s have gone the only services are DOO, so unless the passenger who boards is travelling to a station with barriers they mostly get a free ride.

Even with means to pay for tickets, some folk will only pay when challenged, the ones who tend to aim for the front of a service where the guard is required to be at the rear to dispatch.

I suspect some of the stations on the Southminster & Braintree branch are the same, no TVMs or means to pay.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No.

I think you are confused; the operation of the train can be very different to the role of selling and checking tickets.

For example ScotRail operates driver only operated services in the Glasgow area (extending as far east as Edinburgh via Bathgate) which have ticket examiners constantly patrolling the train. They are not allowed to remain in the cab during the journey.

Meanwhile the Guards on SWR inner suburban routes could not be referred to as "conductors" as they have no revenue duties or training. They are on the train for operational purposes and not to check or issue tickets. They do not carry any ticket issuing equipment. If these services were ever converted to be driver only operated, the staff could check and issue tickets instead. But the unions will strongly resist this.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Present DOO/DCO

Whole of C2C
Glasgow suburban
London Overground
Southeastern Metro
GWR LTV area
Heathrow Express

You could add SE’s HS1 domestic services to this list.

These *always* carry an OBS due to HS1 regs but they play no operational role in dispatching the train.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Driver controlled operation is where the driver controls the operation (apart from setting the signals of course). If a movement of the train can only be initiated at any stage by another person on board, even if it is by pressing a buzzer or waving a green flag, it is no longer driver controlled operation. DCO on any train merely awaits the technology to be installed and for any trade union opposition to be satisfactorily dealt with.

At this stage, it is appears a question of 'might is right' I am afraid, so it seems to me, anyway. There are some rewarding jobs to be done on trains, I am certain, and it needs a forward looking trade union to grasp the opportunties for on-board staff.

At this stage, it is appears a question of 'might is right' I am afraid, so it seems to me, anyway. There are some rewarding jobs to be done on trains, I am certain, and it needs a forward looking trade union to grasp the opportunties for on-board staff.

Is anyone privy to the thinking of RMT executive / RMT membership / DfT? This dispute cannot last for ever, who will blink first?

Esker-pades

Established Member
I think you are confused; the operation of the train can be very different to the role of selling and checking tickets.

For example ScotRail operates driver only operated services in the Glasgow area (extending as far east as Edinburgh via Bathgate) which have ticket examiners constantly patrolling the train. They are not allowed to remain in the cab during the journey.

Meanwhile the Guards on SWR inner suburban routes could not be referred to as "conductors" as they have no revenue duties or training. They are on the train for operational purposes and not to check or issue tickets. They do not carry any ticket issuing equipment. If these services were ever converted to be driver only operated, the staff could check and issue tickets instead. But the unions will strongly resist this.

I have also been on trains (example: Looe Branch) where the guard also takes on the ticket selling duties.

tsr

Established Member

Revenue should never take precedence over door control and train dispatch. I am well aware there are TOCs, or local areas within them, which have turned a blind eye to this (Northern and ATW having been two) but it’s by no means the case everywhere. Some guards would be shocked by the requirements for station timekeeping in regions other than their own. Prompt door release, in particular, is critical to ensure egresses are not pulled, which is an entirely possible scenario if people are in a hurry or have tight connections. It does not mean guards shouldn’t release doors (it’s especially valuable at those companies where guards have to perform an independent visual check to ensure the full train is accommodated in the platform, which is a good safeguard against drivers releasing doors after overshooting or stopping short, on the basis of muscle memory). But what it does mean is that priorities should be improved.

As I have posted before, GTR Southern have been involved in the most vicious dispute over DOO in recent times, but the irony is that their conductors were always trained from day 1 that revenue should never take precedence (unless assault or serious crime was accompanying some sort of fare evasion). Combined with reasonable crew availability up to winter 2015 / early 2016 ish, it meant the company had pretty much nothing to lose, from a reliability perspective, by always requiring a conductor on the train. Yet this was the TOC the DfT chose for mandatory rollout of DOO... which was madness!

It depends what you mean by DCO. Moving control of doors and dispatch to the driver would be a huge benefit in assisting the guard to do the passenger care and assistance and revenue parts of their job more effectively. But I can't really see a case for removing the guard completely or making them optional on rural branch lines.

I don't see any role at all on the network for non-revenue guards, though. All guards should be revenue guards, even if all they do is check rather than sell tickets because a given route is fully barriered.

Any possibility of a passenger needing accessibility assistance from the guard will mean that said guard will need to either be requested to the platform by the driver, or they will need to keep their own lookout at each station. Either way, this will involve fairly frequent visits to the doors (and, by extension, the platform). The only way round this is to guarantee some form of staff at every station, which probably isn’t going to happen at any operator from now on.

In turn, this need to be within easy reach of the doors is naturally going to lead to the question of what that member of crew could do to enhance productivity whilst they are in that position. Dispatching the train might perhaps be a sensible suggestion! If you remove the need to dispatch, the guard, or similar, will often be doing very little around the time of station calls. This is what has happened to Southern OBS staff.

You also miss the point that stepping onto the platform gets the guard involved with the station at which they stop. It allows them to effectively become a member of roving control room staff - they can observe and report hazardous platform conditions such as black ice, or people loitering, or overcrowding, or lights which aren’t working, and so on. Without this, there are many inherent risks. A driver cannot possibly concentrate on signals, stopping safely and then all of these other things at once.

As for making everyone competent to do revenue, I do agree this would be useful in many places, but checking tickets can sometimes detract from the good that a member of onboard crew can bring to a service. For example, it slows down train patrols and security checks, and means that people with travel queries usually have to wait longer for someone to walk past. A ticket check is literally the lowest priority for a guard - any other safety and customer care duties always should come first, including things like doing patrols of late-night drunk tanks.

Voyagers are effectively Train Manager “Controlled” Operation, in that the TM is telling the driver what to do. There’s no decision from the driver unless it’s blindingly obvious it’s not safe, such as if the signal is at danger.

Both Southern and GWR have retained oddities, though. Southern have long had some conductor-worked Metro services (and had more up to May this year). And GWR have to have conductors between Reading and Redhill, though not necessarily always Redhill-Gatwick. It’s all very nuanced.

No.

From a common sense point of view, you’re absolutely right. As you can now see, however, some people will try to argue that revenue is better done on a roving basis (I can tell you it definitely isn’t always!) and will find a way to suggest some electrical devices solve everything.

There are many occasions when, for example, it is likely that a class of train will rock up which has to suddenly work on a request stop service, but which it has virtually never done before. Would our other posters care to comment on the investment required so that all the most unlikely permutations of stock have a fully approved, ergonomic, reliable and failsafe request stop system? And are you also going to reeducate the passengers, and tell them that they cannot get any assistance at a minor halt, because the guard doesn’t exist or isn’t required to know what station stops are being made?

What is the difference in dwell times between a train with doors operated by driver and doors operated by guard?

Minimal, when comparing competent staff and similar routes/passenger loadings. A driver typically has no way to get people to board more quickly by managing station duties, and often has to wait before they are satisfied that cameras are showing a good enough image of clear doors.

The two rural unstaffed stations between Aylesbury & Princes Risborough have no ticket buying faculties (Little Kimble has an out of order Permit to Travel machine, Monks Risborough had nothing as far as I could tell). Now the 121s have gone the only services are DOO, so unless the passenger who boards is travelling to a station with barriers they mostly get a free ride.

Even with means to pay for tickets, some folk will only pay when challenged, the ones who tend to aim for the front of a service where the guard is required to be at the rear to dispatch.

As a point of order, Monks Risborough has a TVM (working on my last visit) and a PERTIS permit machine.

The Chiltern model is better than many DOO operators in that they have Customer Service Inspectors who regularly work as RPIs but are also competent as guards (so far as I know, they retain this). This means they understand train working principles from both points of view, and can assist with targeted revenue matters and operational issues as required.

Status
Not open for further replies.