• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is EC At Seat always this Chaotic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Gave myself a little treat on my return from Scotland and chose to travel First Class, and whilst providing a rather entertaining cabaret act, really did not paint East Coast in a good light.

The service provided by the Host on board before Edinburgh was exemplary. However I'm lead to believe that a change over occurs at Edinburgh, and that a London based crew takes over for the remainder of the service.

The train arrived at Berwick before any of the catering crew appeared. They made their way through with just the hot drink jugs, and were not so much talking to customers as gesturing with the jugs. It later became apparent that they considered this was an appropriate way of asking passengers whether they wanted to purchase items from the At Seat Menu.

They appeared to have no real ordering system or method, and went from seat to seat trying to remember who had ordered what and which seat they were sat in.

A passenger, asked a crew member if he could place an food order as he was getting off the service relatively soon, and the crew had not yet been around. They rather rudely told him that it was not their fault, that their colleague was taking the orders and that if he was unhappy it was not their fault and that he should write to the the company. He quite rightly pointed out that the staff member's "attitude stinks", which they seemed completely bemused by and reiterated, rather abruptly that he should write to the company if he was unhappy.

Next the confusion with orders placed accelerated. As the crew became aware that the had lost track of who had ordered what they proceeded to write orders down on napkins, which promptly became soggy and illegible anyway. This was demonstrated by a ham and cheese panini being served to a vegetarian, and a crew member walking up and down the carriage several times with a Burger having no idea who it was for.

Later a group were served their meals. Once they had started eating, the other member of staff abruptly and rather rudely interrupted and insisted they pay their bill there and then.

At this point a rather agitated man appeared from further north in the carriage asking where his Burger was... This was followed by a mix up with a Steak Sandwich and a burger being served to the wrong passengers, even though the passenger who was served the burger in error specifically questioned whether he had been given the correct order.

At all points through the journey after Edinburgh these two crew members appeared totally lost but also completely oblivious to how lost and disorganised they were. It was clear that the chef was producing really excellent food, they just had no real idea of what they should do, and how they should deliver this.

Sorry for the epic post, I'm just still shocked at quite how chaotic the service was, and do wonder how much worse it'll get when EC start serving complementary food to everyone!! Or have I just seen a bad day?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
Sounds just like the service in the hotel that I've been staying in for the last few weeks!

Where's Basil Fawlty?

wintonian

Established Member
From my once and only experience of EC first class I assumed they got on at Newcastle due to the accents, but certainly from Aberdeen I was quite happy with the service. South of Newcastle not so, quite grumpy I thought.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had dining on the 1830 from King's Cross a few weeks ago, and there were no such problems whatsoever! However this was definitely not a London crew, so it could be a London crew thing. I'm booked on a train to Aberdeen in First Class in May, but that'll be a Yorkshire crew then a Scottish crew.

We went FC from Edinburgh to York a while back and the FC service finished before Berwick! It became apparent from Newcastle that there were no staff on the train apart from the guard and driver. However someone found that some of the complimentary items (just biscuits and water I think) were still available to be picked up, as they had been left on the train, whether deliberate or not I do not know. Needless to say, if I had paid a lot of money for that trip I would have not been happy, but our tickets were only a few quid more than standard class.

Tom B

Established Member
My experience is that in NXEC days at least, the catering was very varied and seemed to depend on how much the crew could be arsed. Some staff would be up and down like a lady of the night's underpants, others would do one round trip after leaving the first station and that would be it. Equally, the buffet service might not have half of the items ("not our fault, they weren't put on at Newcastle!") or might close early ("'cos we've got to stock-take mate!").

I have to say that since East Coast came along the service has improved, although it's still variable depending on the staff. Hopefully things will continue to improve come May with, presumably, a new system for ordering etc.

Daimler

Established Member
Staff on EC when I've travelled in first have usually been excellent, though I would say that the standard of service - in my experience - deteriorates as the day goes on (leaving York on the last trains towards London, it's rare to be offered refreshments more than once or twice in the journey, while in the morning they're passing through the train non-stop!). That said, I've always found the crews to be extremely friendly and (on the few occasions that I've ordered from the at-seat menu) well organised.

I always thought they had a hand-held computer that sent orders to the kitchen, along with the carriage and seat number - this would certainly have helped here!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
last time I did it, we got a gruging cup of coffee on departure from KX and didnt even get a tiket check before newcastle and no further service. After newcastle they came round and appologised that the last crew had done öthing and offered us discounted food and drinks. It was a sunday and first crew was from london. Have to say that since the plain has worked out cheeper

Darandio

Established Member
Not sure how often this is becoming, but did first class a few weeks ago and after getting on at Darlington and heading south, an announcement was made immediately that due to a staff shortage they would be struggling to get around first class and "could we bear with them".

Then the week before last I got on at Newcastle but was travelling standard only to hear the same message shortly after departure.

Full marks for warning people in advance of course, but is this becoming a regular occurence now?

Not in my experience, first class and the buffet is normally resourced no matter what (I travel at least 3-4 times a week in FC at both weekdays and weekends) but the problem for the last few years, both with NXEC and more so with EC is the standard trolley, which of course is coming off anyway!

Regarding the at seat dining, generally speaking its delivered in a consistent, professional way, but I have on two occasions used it and been asked to pay half way through a meal, which is really irritating. Its generally much much better delivered when the crew is from NCL or LDS, if its a London crew then they are a bit lax!

amcluesent

>They appeared to have no real ordering system or method<

Sounds like their trolley was kaput, IIRC they record the seat numbers when taking orders on the gizmo which transmits these back to the galley.

That said, there does seem to be a high turnover of EC staff, I commute FC every day and you are always seeing new staff with a very variable competence.

Daimler

Established Member
Regarding the at seat dining, generally speaking its delivered in a consistent, professional way, but I have on two occasions used it and been asked to pay half way through a meal, which is really irritating. Its generally much much better delivered when the crew is from NCL or LDS, if its a London crew then they are a bit lax!

This is generally my experience as well - though I usually only get London crews at the end of the day, so perhaps they're always tired!

Im a regular on the 2040 ex Leeds and the 2140 ex York, and both of those London catering crews and, neither do at seat dining, but its still dissapointing to see the lax standards!

silentone

I can't think of a service which comes from the North where a London crew takeover (perhaps at the weekend actually). I can think of one service from the North during the week that's rushed and not very pleasant for the crew. The crew board at Edinburgh and change again at Newcastle and in-between the two stops it must be quite the race against time trying to do at-seat dining. I guess they have to be extremely organised as I've heard stories of them doing 20-25 meals by Newcastle. In an hour and a half that's quite an achievement!

Whatever crew you've had on this trip seem to have been less organised, and whoever takes the orders really does have to be on the ball. I've found one slip-up brings the whole place into chaos, on a similar note crews will generally agree only one person will take the orders during a trip or you end up getting duplicate orders, lost orders or completely confusing the poor chef, who'll be in the kitchen with a million slips!!

Using a napkin to write down orders is quite common!

Mainliner

I was in coach M of the 1450 Aberdeen - Kings Cross yesterday. The trolley service for the first 3 hours or so was fine, brought regularly by polite, chatty attendants.

Now you mention it, I do recall seeing a bit of hot jug waving approaching Berwick, which I did think was rather odd, but didn't pay too much attention, as I was getting off at Berwick!

I might add that yesterday I also caught the EC 0714 from Berwick - Edinburgh and the Scotrail 0826 from Edinburgh - Aberdeen, and the trolley service in First on both of those services was very good throughout.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Its going to be inevitable that, from time to time, there will be staff shortages possibly at very short notice, or delays in supplies of stock. Most passengers would probably agree with the TOC that its better to dispatch the train on time rather than to wait for catering staff. (That would surely be true even quite independently from consideration of the cost of delays)
(For example, during the winter snows, I was on a delayed departure because the driver had struggled and failed to get through the snow - That's fair enough. But pax wouldn't have been as understanding if we were kept waiting for the sixth member of the on-board service team).

Recently, chef accidentally cut their finger while prepping when the train was crossing some 'wobbly pointwork' and was de-trained. A once in a lifetime event, surely. During the last days of NXEC one of the company execs was dining in the restaurant car only to be told that the only supplies on-board were the pre-cooked dishes (which I've called 'goo' before). Not a happy diner, though I thought she was less sympathetic towards the poor crew than she might have been!

I've experienced quite a number of such staff shortages over the years, but I couldn't honestly say that the number of occasions that this has happened is significantly more frequent now than it used to be. I really don't think it is, and unless its one of the very few services with only a crew of 2 booked, then they do a great job of trying to cover for anyone who's missing.

As for grumpy staff, well, I do know a few, (more among those with a background in railways than in catering, I feel), and sadly it includes some of the Newcastle and Edinburgh crews. But then, the most cheerful and helpful crews by far are also Newcastle based!

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The at seat service on EC in my opinion has deteriated over the last year or so, and is often non existant especially on late services. This is no way in my opinion the staff fault, but the trolley does not always seem to be availible in Standard class, and the refereshments dont seem to go down as often in 1st class. I also had a bad experience one time when I got a WEF and the refreshments guy in 1st class was horrible to me when he noticed I had a STD class ticket, dispite the fact the payment for the WEF was under my ticket and passes ready

Blindtraveler

Established Member
grumpy staff aside are they ok to work for? My gf has just been interviewed for 1 of the extra rolls created as a result of the new fc service in may, bassed EDB. Doesnt know if shes got it but lives in hope and feels the interview went well.
Its going to be inevitable that, from time to time, there will be staff shortages possibly at very short notice, or delays in supplies of stock. Most passengers would probably agree with the TOC that its better to dispatch the train on time rather than to wait for catering staff. (That would surely be true even quite independently from consideration of the cost of delays)
(For example, during the winter snows, I was on a delayed departure because the driver had struggled and failed to get through the snow - That's fair enough. But pax wouldn't have been as understanding if we were kept waiting for the sixth member of the on-board service team).

Recently, chef accidentally cut their finger while prepping when the train was crossing some 'wobbly pointwork' and was de-trained. A once in a lifetime event, surely. During the last days of NXEC one of the company execs was dining in the restaurant car only to be told that the only supplies on-board were the pre-cooked dishes (which I've called 'goo' before). Not a happy diner, though I thought she was less sympathetic towards the poor crew than she might have been!

I've experienced quite a number of such staff shortages over the years, but I couldn't honestly say that the number of occasions that this has happened is significantly more frequent now than it used to be. I really don't think it is, and unless its one of the very few services with only a crew of 2 booked, then they do a great job of trying to cover for anyone who's missing.

As for grumpy staff, well, I do know a few, (more among those with a background in railways than in catering, I feel), and sadly it includes some of the Newcastle and Edinburgh crews. But then, the most cheerful and helpful crews by far are also Newcastle based!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Please wait for others to reply, but it seems to me that much depends on 'the team's that she'd be working with. As in any industry, just one individual's good humour can inspire a team, just as a toxic individual in a team can make work misery.

Thats a very good point

Blindtraveler

Established Member
thanks dave. Hope if successfuj she gets a good croud, unemployf for almost a year so the last tìng she needs is grumpy workmates.
Please wait for others to reply, but it seems to me that much depends on 'the team's that she'd be working with. As in any industry, just one individual's good humour can inspire a team, just as a toxic individual in a team can make work misery.

silentone

grumpy staff aside are they ok to work for? My gf has just been interviewed for 1 of the extra rolls created as a result of the new fc service in may, bassed EDB. Doesnt know if shes got it but lives in hope and feels the interview went well.

Great place & company to work for and there is quite the variety of characters onboard. Some great and some not so great, I'm sure there will be some horror stories to come from passengers as some of those staff who've accepted redundancy prepare to move on.

May is a new beginning. Good luck to her!

Oh and on a Saturday the 1450 Aberdeen - Kings Cross is a London Crew from Edinburgh I believe, but an Edinburgh crew during the week with a London crew from Newcastle. Confused.com

Shutax

I travel every Friday and Sunday (sometimes Monday) first class on East Coast between York-Pitlochry or Edinburgh-York. Usualy get a reasonable to very good service depending on the crew. Just a couple of recent examples to show the range of service.

Yesterday the 17:30 Edinburgh-Kings Cross had no catering staff. The guard made several apologies for this and explained that it was due to late running KGX-EDB trains. So far so good - we were kept informed and received an apology. However, when a catering crew joined at Newcastle, the service was very poor. Only just managed to get a cup of tea and a biscuit before York. It felt as though passengers were an incovenience for the staff. A very poor experience.

On the other hand on Monday 14 March the 09:23 INV-KGX left INV at 10:35 (trains between INV and PTH earlier than this cancelled because of snow). Good service between PIT and EDB. After EDB apologies that no extra food had been loaded. The chef took the initiative to supply free bacon and sausage toasties to first class passengers - fantastic result and full marks for customer service.

Your experience depends so much on which crew is operating.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
thanks mate, reasuring. Have many people been let go? Take it its just due to the changes and staff redeployment ipues? She says thanks for the info by the way.
Great place & company to work for and there is quite the variety of characters onboard. Some great and some not so great, I'm sure there will be some horror stories to come from passengers as some of those staff who've accepted redundancy prepare to move on.

May is a new beginning. Good luck to her!

Oh and on a Saturday the 1450 Aberdeen - Kings Cross is a London Crew from Edinburgh I believe, but an Edinburgh crew during the week with a London crew from Newcastle. Confused.com

silentone

I can't remember how many opted for redundancy, the company didn't plan any redundancies other than those from Glasgow who might not have wanted to come through to Edinburgh.

A number of Restaurant Hosts have taken it as their role no-longer exists, some Chefs have also taken it as their numbers have been reduced. Agency Chefs currently with East Coast will fill any void.

They do require a number of CSA's route-wide as it seems the minimum number of CSA's in First Class will rise to 2, currently 1.

Railjet

The train arrived at Berwick before any of the catering crew appeared. They made their way through with just the hot drink jugs, and were not so much talking to customers as gesturing with the jugs. It later became apparent that they considered this was an appropriate way of asking passengers whether they wanted to purchase items from the At Seat Menu.

:lol: I can relate to this. On one of my (few) journeys in EC 1st class (Highland Chieftain), the service seemed to consist solely of the jug-waving dance and a few grunts. I was quite disappointed given the generally positive reviews on here.

That is so true. Even more so on a flight, where - as a passenger - if the service team is headed by a bad apple and the whole team is miserable, you're stuffed - especially if you've paid an expensive business class fare.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks all for those thoughts, at one stage I did actually think that Manuel would have done a better job... There was just such an attitude of "everything would be fine if there were no passengers". Was also such a contrast to the crew that got off at Edinburgh, and to the Guards before and after Newcastle who did so much to ensure alternative arrangements for missed connections, including an extra stop for a large group of passengers.

:lol: I can relate to this. On one of my (few) journeys in EC 1st class (Highland Chieftain), the service seemed to consist solely of the jug-waving dance and a few grunts. I was quite disappointed given the generally positive reviews on here.

Maybe there is some kind of dance with grunts that is learnt on some training course? I was also surprised by the contrast with the excellent reviews on here, feeling like I regret not making it to W&S even more now!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Oh, the irony! This evening's restaurant crew were great. Professional and friendly. But there was a tutting and scowling nosey person checking how the dishes were served. And yes they were EC staff. But travelling pass and dining.

Thanks all for those thoughts, at one stage I did actually think that Manuel would have done a better job... There was just such an attitude of "everything would be fine if there were no passengers".

I last travelled on EC 1st a few months ago York-Edinburgh and was quite disappointed with the attitude of one of the catering staff who was Newcastle-based judging by her accent. She did the perfunctory jug waving thing and poured out some of that horrible watery coffee that they do. When she came to me I asked her about ordering some food, but she said that she 'wasn't doing that at the moment'. All seemed a great deal of trouble.

As she was about to leave the coach, she said to her colleague in a deliberately loud voice:

'I wish, I just wish that, just once, one of them would just bloody well smile.'

If you work in a customer service role, then you should be nice to people. My experience is that they will then tend to be nice back. You're the host, so you should start things off on the right foot. Miserable moo.

I was seriously considering complaining about her, but that's not a nice thing to do, so I didn't. Also, a (different) colleague of hers was so pleasant and helpful in sorting my food order out that it made up for it all.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I always simile and try to be friendly with the on-board staff (be they guards or customer hosts or anybody else!) and more times than not I get a simile and good service back (and the odd quick conversation if they have time). Seems to me it's a small thing for me to do that costs nothing and if it improves their morale well that can only be good for me to!

Status
Not open for further replies.