• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Esher in the Travelcard zones for the Olympics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
A relative is a volunteer at the Olympics and so has been given a complimentary volunteer's Travelcard for the duration. They travel from Aldershot and, as they are not on duty every day, will be purchasing daily tickets.

On Monday they were sold one to Surbiton, but today they were told they could save £2 by purchasing to Esher.

The normal Travelcard Zone Map does not include Esher. I could not find a map for the Volunteer's Travelcard but the one for the spectator's Travelcard http://www.london2012.com/about-us/publications/publication=games-travelcard-map/ does not include Esher either.

Is there some special Olympic Volunteer dispensation (I am not aware of any events at Sandown Park), or have they been sold a ticket which leaves a gap between Esher & Boundary Zone 6 for which they are not covered ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The Games Travelcard is not valid to Esher.

Nor is a normal travelcard - I'm assuming a volunteer travelcard has the same validity as a normal travelcard - I'm fairly sure they are *not* valid on the Javelin.

bicbasher

Established Member
Nor is a normal travelcard - I'm assuming a volunteer travelcard has the same validity as a normal travelcard - I'm fairly sure they are *not* valid on the Javelin.

You can use a volunteer travelcard as long as you show your accreditation with it at the gateline between St Pancras and Stratford Intl.

The day cards are valid on High Speed services, but not Gatwick Express.
Olympic Oyster cards (volunteer/coach/competititor etc.) are valid on Gatwick Express with the normal extension payable.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You can use a volunteer travelcard as long as you show your accreditation with it at the gateline between St Pancras and Stratford Intl.

Yes - there seems to have been a change of Policy at some point in June.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The day cards are valid on High Speed services, but not Gatwick Express.
Olympic Oyster cards (volunteer/coach/competititor etc.) are valid on Gatwick Express with the normal extension payable.

I don't understand this - which cards are you saying are not valid? I'd be surprised if the volunteer or Games travelcards had less validity than a normal travelcard.

Last edited:

Urban Gateline

Established Member
The Olympic Games Paper/Oyster Travelcard IS valid to/from Esher. It is stated in a staff briefing we were given. I'd be happy to provide this documentation to Yorkie via e-mail if needed!

Yes - there seems to have been a change of Policy at some point in June.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I don't understand this - which cards are you saying are not valid? I'd be surprised if the volunteer or Games travelcards had less validity than a normal travelcard.

The volunteer/coach/competitor passes I have seen are issued on an Oyster and valid for the duration of the games. These tickets have the same validity as a normal Zone 1-9 'season' ticket and are only valid on production of accreditation.
The Zone 1-9 travel cards issued with the Olympic Event tickets are 'day' tickets and require no photocard or accreditation.

Just to confuse things further...I had a TOD the other day with a destination of 'LONDON GAMES'??

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Olympic Games Paper/Oyster Travelcard IS valid to/from Esher. It is stated in a staff briefing we were given. I'd be happy to provide this documentation to Yorkie via e-mail if needed!

This doesn't surprise me. There seem to have been quite a few relaxations for the games volunteers. The only trouble is that publicity is virtually non existant.

Games travelcards are also valid to Windsor I believe.

Games travelcards are valid to a few out of zone stations in conjunction with a ticket to an appropriate event. Others include Cheshunt for Lea Valley, Sevenoaks for Brands Hatch and Windsor for Eton Dorney.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Games travelcards are also valid to Windsor I believe.

That's right, it's questionable though whether BOJ at any intermediate stations between Feltham and Windsor is allowed though. My understanding is that due to Events in Windsor, only the journey to and from Windsor & Eton Riverside is allowed and a valid games ticket for an event in Windsor must also be held!

Oh and apparently the Games Travelcards are also valid to Egham!

OwlMan

Established Member
The following extensions are allowed for oyster cards issued to volunteers etc. AIUI paper travelcards are not issued to volunteers.

The Manual
The various Oyster card types and what they are issued with are:

• 2012 Ceremonies Volunteer - issued with either a Zones 1-6 Travelcard Season or PAYG
  • London Olympic Games* - issued with Zones 1-6 Travelcard Season only
  • London Paralympic Games* - issued with Zones 1-6 Travelcard Season only
  • Olympics Volunteer* - issued with Zones 1-6 Travelcard Season only
  • Paralympics Volunteer* - issued with Zones 1-6 Travelcard Season only
All the above Games Family Oyster cards are valid for travel on high speed services between St Pancras International and Stratford International.
By separate agreement with LOCOG, TOCs have agreed that the Oyster card versions above marked with an asterisk (*) when issued with a Travelcard only and supported by a Permanent Accreditation Pass are also valid to/from the following stations beyond London Zone 6:

• c2c: Leigh-on-Sea (9 to 15 August inclusive only)
  • First Great Western: Slough (until 3 September)
  • Greater Anglia: Cheshunt (29 July to 2 August inclusive only)
  • Greater Anglia: Brentwood and Shenfield (until 9 September)
  • Southeastern: Sevenoaks (27 July to 9 September inclusive)
  • South West Trains: Egham, Esher, Windsor & Eton Riverside (until 3 September)

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
Just to confuse things further...I had a TOD the other day with a destination of 'LONDON GAMES'??

If this is the destination, it is only valid with a games ticket (or, possibly, some sort of accreditation as a volunteer?)

sheff1

Established Member

Thanks for this. Pity the info doesn't seem to be readily available publicly, but clearly the ticket was correct (even if Monday's wasn't !)

Thanks to owlman too for the detail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.