• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is international travel actually necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The thought of 5 years of holidays in the UK is not palatable to me.

I’ve seen most of the country, a holiday is about a change and an experience of other cultures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Do we need foreign holidays, no. Are they desirable - yes! I enjoy going abroad, I enjoy other cultures I even enjoy trying out a new language (maybe not that successfully sometimes) and it makes me appreciate living in the UK!! When people moan about our railway system can relay lots of horror stories from abroad, when they say how their roads are better can quell that myth too.
Many may be quite happy staying in the UK and I love travelling in the UK but also enjoy going abroad for reasons stated above. We're all getting older - if we stop foreign travel for 5 years may not be a big issue to some of us but my 76 year old mother would like to continue to travel abroad while she still can. Will she be capable in 5 years time and will she get insurance? Please think a little and be a little more sensitive to others before making sweeping statements.

Well quite. My 74 year old Mother said to me the other week that she hoped her and my Father cold get to Sitges ever again.

I laughed at the time but the more I think about the statement the more upsetting it gets.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Absolutely I know, something along the lines of 12-13 years IIRC. But as @Bletchleyite was getting at above, we're already seeing success with various combinations of pre-existing drugs, hopefully using information we learned from SARS and other coronaviruses. I was more suggesting that even if we can't prevent the spread of COVID with a vaccine, we'll have as good as done the same with an effective treatment. Anyway, back on topic, don't want to get the red writing

Indeed, with better and effective treatments it means we can go back to normality because it will no longer matter if you catch the virus, compared to currently.

Veteran Member
Back in the 80s, an older parishioner in Crawcrook on Tyneside was happy to admit that she had never gone further East than Blaydon nor west than Prudhoe.

However she was the exception by then; most humans (are keen to) benefit from experiencing other parts of the world at first hand - it allows them a different perspective on their own situation as well as introducing them to different cultures climates and customs.

Whether this involves crossing international boundaries (which in most cases are somewhat arbitrary) is secondary - it equally applies to the boundary between Yorkshire and Lancashire (says a Kentishman!), or between one railway company and another (I recall Duck's prejudiced remark - "there's the Great Western way - and the wrong way").

And once I stop shielding I shall certainly (d.v.) visit Lancashire, Wales, Scotland and more distant parts of Europe. Even Buckinghamshire :)

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The economy is primarily contingent on moving goods, not people.

There are parts of the economy that exist mainly to move people, but they aren't all of it or indeed even nearly all of it.

Many parts of the world, including parts of this country, the economy is alomst totally based on tourism. You seem to be happy to let those places die, or can you suggest a replacement?

We have family in Canada; are we going to be stopped seeing them?
We have friends in Crete; are we going to be stopped seeing them?

sheff1

Established Member
People do need a break, but how about Edinburgh instead of Paris, or the Lake District instead of the Pyrenees if you're outdoors minded? Or Cornwall if you like the beach?

Places like Scotland, the Lake District and Cornwall have made it very clear that they do NOT want people to visit and have been quite rude about it.

I thought that on another thread you suggested people avoid such places when restrictions are lifted.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Places like Scotland, the Lake District and Cornwall have made it very clear that they do NOT want people to visit and have been quite rude about it.

And if they do open, they're all going to cost a fortune to stay in.

BJames

Established Member
Well quite. My 74 year old Mother said to me the other week that she hoped her and my Father cold get to Sitges ever again.

I laughed at the time but the more I think about the statement the more upsetting it gets.
A good destination to visit too. Don't be too worried - international travel will happen again soon. A lot of Spain (e.g. Benidorm - see https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...m-banks-on-august-tourist-surge-after-covid19) want and need UK tourists for their economy to flourish.

The thought of 5 years of holidays in the UK is not palatable to me.

I’ve seen most of the country, a holiday is about a change and an experience of other cultures.
Been thinking more about this today and I would probably be happy to stay in the UK for a year, two at a push - but I can't wait to get abroad again when it's possible.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
A good destination to visit too. Don't be too worried - international travel will happen again soon. A lot of Spain (e.g. Benidorm - see https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...m-banks-on-august-tourist-surge-after-covid19) want and need UK tourists for their economy to flourish.

Been thinking more about this today and I would probably be happy to stay in the UK for a year, two at a push - but I can't wait to get abroad again when it's possible.

Of course, I always thought that international travel will come back sooner as we expected.

And as always, I'm looking forward to my future travels! Including my first ever long haul flights in my whole life!

Mintona

Established Member
Christ yes, I can’t imagine spending a second longer on this cesspool island than I have to

Scrotnig

I hate going abroad and haven't done so since 2003. I had no intention of going abroad ever again frankly, even before this crisis.

However - to say international travel isn't needed is nonsense. Many people want to take foreign holidays, and I hope they will be able to do so as soon as possible, it's just I won't be among them!

AM9

Veteran Member
I hate going abroad and haven't done so since 2003. I had no intention of going abroad ever again frankly, even before this crisis.

However - to say international travel isn't needed is nonsense. Many people want to take foreign holidays, and I hope they will be able to do so as soon as possible, it's just I won't be among them!
"Want" isn't need.

Scrotnig

"Want" isn't need.
We are not machines.

Some people seem to be using this crisis as an excuse to permanently suck all the joy out of life and force people into living miserable, dull, joyless existences where you go out to work then come home and sit alone in your house doing nothing. It isn't sustainable and it will destroy mental health.

Bantamzen

Established Member
We are not machines.

Some people seem to be using this crisis as an excuse to permanently suck all the joy out of life and force people into living miserable, dull, joyless existences where you go out to work then come home and sit alone in your house doing nothing. It isn't sustainable and it will destroy mental health.

Indeed, there does seem to be a subset of people grimly determined to suck all the life out of people & turn us into beige, insular robots. I really don't understand why.

scarby

What’s being suggested here is insane. It would be driving headlong into a social and economic car crash with millions of casualties.

All jobs are “essential“.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Indeed, with better and effective treatments it means we can go back to normality because it will no longer matter if you catch the virus, compared to currently.

Exactly. As time goes on, the more we learn about it, the closer we get to controlling it and the nearer we get to normal. I mean real normal, not some dreadful "new normal" where we all speak to eachother through television screens.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Nobody's stopping you emigrating - are they?
Approximately 52% of the population on a random day in 2016.

It will make it more difficult (i.e. more hoops to jump through in obtaining visas and resident permits etc) but it will not make it impossible. Plenty of British people live in non-EU countries, and plenty of non-EU citizens live in Britain. In some cases they even take the destination country's citizenship, in which case it all becomes irrelevant.

AM9

Veteran Member
What’s being suggested here is insane. It would be driving headlong into a social and economic car crash with millions of casualties.

All jobs are “essential“.
Jobs for all (or nearly all) are essential, but all jobs that existed in March aren't essential. There are plenty of jobs that contributed little to the economy, or even damaged it.

scarby

Jobs for all (or nearly all) are essential, but all jobs that existed in March aren't essential. There are plenty of jobs that contributed little to the economy, or even damaged it.

You are right. Jobs for all is a better way of putting it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You are right. Jobs for all is a better way of putting it.

Yes, providing a good level of employment is essential, that's all. We do not have to restart air travel to the extent it had got to, and my view is strongly that we should not do so, in particular, other than the Scottish Highland socially necessary routes it's strongly my view that domestic air travel should not be allowed at all, as there is simply no need for it.

Yew

Established Member
But what would you rather once we get it right down? Zoom people who live abroad, or risk another lockdown?

That feels like a false dichotomy, there are a whole spectrum of options an offer.

scotrail158713

Established Member

I thought that on another thread you suggested people avoid such places when restrictions are lifted.
“Scotland” is a very broad area. South Lanarkshire doesn’t see the influx of tourists each year that Skye does. :)
In the same way that there are areas down south that don’t see the numbers of tourists that the Lake District or Cornwall does.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Exactly. As time goes on, the more we learn about it, the closer we get to controlling it and the nearer we get to normal. I mean real normal, not some dreadful "new normal" where we all speak to eachother through television screens.

Exactly. Real normal. That's the one I indeed meant.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Yes, providing a good level of employment is essential, that's all. We do not have to restart air travel to the extent it had got to, and my view is strongly that we should not do so, in particular, other than the Scottish Highland socially necessary routes it's strongly my view that domestic air travel should not be allowed at all, as there is simply no need for it.

Depends on the country. For the UK, indeed, domestic air travel (with the exception of flights from Mainland UK to Northern Ireland, and strongly isolated places where flying is the only option such as Scilly Islands) is indeed pointless. You have many great trains, like Cross Country, LNER, Avanti West Coast, EMR, Transpennine Express, you know.

BJames

Established Member
I agree here. We should at least try to encourage domestic travel to be done by rail, the short flights are unnecessary and polluting. I do think and hope this will happen with an increased focus on green travel once the pandemic is over.

Interestingly, the Belgian Transport Minister took a 34 mile flight this week from Brussels to Antwerp, which takes 46 minutes on the train (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ister-in-row-over-34-mile-trip-in-private-jet). The reaction here was quite rightly one of outrage.

Last edited:

Established Member

This is a very extreme viewpoint - as is the premise of the thread. I must say I completely disagree with both!

Air travel (particularly international air travel) is essential for both business and tourism. Despite the best efforts of the IT industry not everything can be done by zoom. People in other industries, particularly in client facing roles, still value face to face meetings. The aviation industry is also a significant employer and contributor to economic growth, in its own right.

And that’s before getting on to how desirable international travel can be in terms of experiencing new things, broadening one’s perspective etc.

Frankly I’m amazed the suggestion in the OP has even been made. The absolute *last* thing we need to be doing at the moment is further shutting down aspects of our economy. We need to be getting things moving again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.