• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it possible to excess to a railcard discounted ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if it's possible, if I held a child ticket to somewhere, to then go and excess that ticket to a 1 child and 1 adult F&F discounted ticket.

Basically, I hold a child SDR from Capenhurst-Altrincham and have paid £6.60 for it. I may have an adult coming with me, so is it possible to excess to two different tickets, one being my original and the other being the adult ticket which are both F&F railcard discounted and pay the £4.60 difference in fares?

Cheers and TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This may be possible technically (and some ticket office clerks will do it), but is not officially permitted.

Doing it the other way is not possible even technically I suspect as a ticket cannot be excessed "down". It may be possible to excess the full child fare to a Railcard-discounted adult fare, but again it is not officially permitted.

So shop around.

island

Veteran Member
I can't see this being allowed. You might be able to get an adult FAM ticket issued alone, but that will, I expect, be the height of it.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
.....Basically, I hold a child SDR from Capenhurst-Altrincham and have paid £6.60 for it. I may have an adult coming with me, so is it possible to excess to two different tickets, one being my original and the other being the adult ticket which are both F&F railcard discounted and pay the £4.60 difference in fares?...

No. An excess can only be from one ticket to one ticket.

You could, however, buy an adult discounted ticket for use with the non-discounted child ticket, provided that the clerk is aware that it can be done.

Ah Ok. How about excessing a railcard discounted child part to a full priced child ticket?

Excess Fares rules do not mention this type of Excess Fare and therefore it is not allowed by them, however, it is known that East Coast have given permission to their offices excess discounted fares if the railcard (and/or the holder) is not present, some other companies may have followed suit. I don't know where Merseyrail stand on this (or Arriva Trains Wales) but Northern Rail staff are not permitted to do it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Before I answer... where from exactly?
Where from? East Coast.co.uk
Good luck with that then! You could try contacting Web Support but if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time even trying to contact them.

If it was from a station ticket office, they might have agreed to exchange it without charging an admin fee.

and why in advance?
Why? For the first week of my work-experience placement.
I don't understand.

If there is some reason why it had to be bought in advance, could you not use the Southern website, and not collect it until you are certain you are happy with the ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.