• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it time to move to a more localised approach to lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
Every time I hear the phrase 'local lockdown' I can't help but to think of the old League of Gentlemen sketches. Maybe Royston Vasey will be subject of a local lockdown for local people!

Every time I read my town's Facebook page I'm reminded of Royston Vasey. There was a post on there last night panicking about outsiders bringing disease in with their kids when the playpark reopens today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scrotnig

No they haven't. Paragraph 58 of Part 3 of Schedule 3 of the Leicester Regulations exempts:

from having to close.
You're correct. However that hasn't stopped our elected mayor from ordering car showrooms to close anyhow.

Because, in the UK today, this is how we do things. Legislation is just a minor little thing we tidy up afterwards. Diktats from officials are what now matters.

See also - Leicestershire police threatening to fine people from Leicester if they are found in pubs elsewhere. There's absolutely no legislation whatsoever that empowers them to do that.

Bantamzen

Established Member
You're correct. However that hasn't stopped our elected mayor from ordering car showrooms to close anyhow.

Because, in the UK today, this is how we do things. Legislation is just a minor little thing we tidy up afterwards. Diktats from officials are what now matters.

See also - Leicestershire police threatening to fine people from Leicester if they are found in pubs elsewhere. There's absolutely no legislation whatsoever that empowers them to do that.

I have to ask, how are Leicestershire Police even going to know? As much as I respect our fine Police forces, there are some amongst their management ranks that need to wind their necks in.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

One of the problems with British elected mayors is that they have very little power, but like to think they do. Sadiq, for example, is little more than an elected commissioner of TfL, and I'm sure Leicester's is similarly lacking in power. Borough Councils generally hold more power in the UK than elected mayors.

With regard to Leicester's lockdown, though, it is an absolutely pointless farce if travel outside of Leicester and into it are not restricted by law with roadblocks etc. While some of Nottingham's pubs said they'd check ID and not allow Leicestrians in, I bet some will, and there you have spread. It's pointless doing it if you don't do it properly, and it's similarly pointless to stick boundaries to it down the middle of roads.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
One of the problems with British elected mayors is that they have very little power, but like to think they do. Sadiq, for example, is little more than an elected commissioner of TfL, and I'm sure Leicester's is similarly lacking in power. Borough Councils generally hold more power in the UK than elected mayors.

With regard to Leicester's lockdown, though, it is an absolutely pointless farce if travel outside of Leicester and into it are not restricted by law with roadblocks etc. While some of Nottingham's pubs said they'd check ID and not allow Leicestrians in, I bet some will, and there you have spread. It's pointless doing it if you don't do it properly, and it's similarly pointless to stick boundaries to it down the middle of roads.
Pointless laws is something the government has recently proven more than enough that it's wont to do.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

Of course. I just struggle to see the logic behind it all. It's within the ambit of the SoS to introduce these kinds of restrictions. If the SoS doesn't see fit to introduce that restriction, why does the Major think he knows better?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of course. I just struggle to see the logic behind it all. It's within the ambit of the SoS to introduce these kinds of restrictions. If the SoS doesn't see fit to introduce that restriction, why does the Major think he knows better?

I think the argument would be that the local politicians know the local area and local issues better.

Scrotnig

It should be remembered that Leicester’s mayor is yet another of those people who tell others to stick to the rules, but then break them themselves.

His position is now totally untenable but he doesn’t care.

The mayor of Leicester has apologised for "an error of judgement" after it was revealed he broke lockdown rules twice by visiting his partner.

Sir Peter Soulsby admitted visiting Lesley Summerland and staying at her house overnight before government guidelines allowed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.