• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it worth having an Oyster anymore for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've always used an Oyster card previously as I had either a 16-25 or 26-30 Railcard, having now aged out of that a couple of years ago I've been using Contactless instead (one less card to remember to carry around). It occurs to me though that there's money locked away on that Oyster and is there any point in keeping it? Until that glorious day that those of us between 31 and 59 can access a railcards again, excluding the Network Card which can't be added to Oyster, I may as well persist with Contactless yes? Indeed it's slightly more flexible that Oyster as it's valid further out that Oyster is on some of the recent PAYG extensions?

So am I missing something obvious or should I just get the balance refunded?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, I'd definitely get a refund and use Contactless from now on.

There are occasions when Oyster charges more than Contactless, rather than the other way round, so no benefit to keeping Oyster.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've always used an Oyster card previously as I had either a 16-25 or 26-30 Railcard, having now aged out of that a couple of years ago I've been using Contactless instead (one less card to remember to carry around). It occurs to me though that there's money locked away on that Oyster and is there any point in keeping it? Until that glorious day that those of us between 31 and 59 can access a railcards again, excluding the Network Card which can't be added to Oyster, I may as well persist with Contactless yes? Indeed it's slightly more flexible that Oyster as it's valid further out that Oyster is on some of the recent PAYG extensions?

So am I missing something obvious or should I just get the balance refunded?
I would get the balance refunded. You can get a new Oyster card if you ever need one but I think the direction of movement is toward contactless anyway so that is unlikely.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, I'd definitely get a refund and use Contactless from now on.

There are occasions when Oyster charges more than Contactless, rather than the other way round, so no benefit to keeping Oyster.
I would get the balance refunded. You can get a new Oyster card if you ever need one but I think the direction of movement is toward contactless anyway so that is unlikely.
That's certainly where my thought process was going. Could get one if needed in the future but contactless is taking over anyway. Just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything :)

You can still get A Gold Card discount if you travel enough to make it worth buying one.
Living in the North East that's unlikely to be the case! I did try it once a few years ago back in 2016ish and I worked out that I broke even over the course of twelve months. I actually travel less frequently to the relevant area now so it would definitely be a loss maker.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Duly cancelled and refunded with the very helpful Oyster Helpline staff. Kinda sad. I've had that card for ages and it was my introduction to ticketing other than on paper, still remember the feeling of magic at tapping a bit of plastic on a barrier and having it open :lol:

bicbasher

Established Member
For Londoners with Oyster, they're still useful for those entitled to certain means tested benefit discounts, including the Bus & Tram Photocard and the Jobcentre Plus Photocard. The latter can be added to Oyster with any JCP photocard from anywhere in the country.

This is why I still use Oyster as I'm entitled to the bus discount, otherwise I'd be fully contactless by now.

fandroid

Established Member
I look forward to day (????) when I can load my Senior Railcard onto my Bus Pass and load any ticket for anywhere in the UK on it (including some magical application of London contactless). Meanwhile, I can't even ditch my Oyster

westv

Established Member
I prefer Oyster as (for me) it's easier to pick the Oyster wallet out of my pocket, tap in/out and put it back in my pocket. Contactless would mean getting my wallet out, gettng out my debit card, taping in/out, putting the DC back in my wallet, putting wallet back in pocket.

AndrewE

Established Member
For Londoners with Oyster, they're still useful for those entitled to certain means tested benefit discounts, including the Bus & Tram Photocard and the Jobcentre Plus Photocard. The latter can be added to Oyster with any JCP photocard from anywhere in the country.

This is why I still use Oyster as I'm entitled to the bus discount, otherwise I'd be fully contactless by now.
and I believe they are the only way people can get "Priv" fares. Maybe just retired railway people (?) but even so... if you don't live in London and thus have a Freedom pass - or whatever they are called - it's the only way to get the discount you have earned on LUL.

Haywain

Veteran Member
and I believe they are the only way people can get "Priv" fares. Maybe just retired railway people (?) but even so... if you don't live in London and thus have a Freedom pass - or whatever they are called - it's the only way to get the discount you have earned on LUL.
I think we all understand this but the thread was about someone without any discount entitlement.

totally

I prefer Oyster as (for me) it's easier to pick the Oyster wallet out of my pocket, tap in/out and put it back in my pocket. Contactless would mean getting my wallet out, gettng out my debit card, taping in/out, putting the DC back in my wallet, putting wallet back in pocket.
As somebody who gets a Disabled Railcard discount using Oyster I still use it when in London. I agree that you only need to have that card to hand, loose it and you have not lost the same(potentially) as with a contactless bank card. Plus it allows me to print the journey history, useful for expenses claims.

bicbasher

Established Member
While banks have improved access to contactless, I have it with my basic Natwest Current Account, there are those who still prefer to convert cash to PAYG credit or travelcards/bus passes along with some basic accounts still not offering contactless, just a standard chip and pin with Visa Debit or Mastercard.

OscarH

While banks have improved access to contactless, I have it with my basic Natwest Current Account, there are those who still prefer to convert cash to PAYG credit or travelcards/bus passes along with some basic accounts still not offering contactless, just a standard chip and pin with Visa Debit or Mastercard.
Which banks don't have contactless on some basic accounts? I've struggled to get non-contactless cards with some banks before

totally

Which banks don't have contactless on some basic accounts? I've struggled to get non-contactless cards with some banks before
Santander have them, However I understand you can insist that they provide non contactless at any bank if that is what you want.

AndrewE

Established Member
Quite, I wish I had priv :lol:
But how much salary (and pension) would you have been prepared to forego to get privs in retirement? I nearly left (financial pressures when a BR
clerk) but - consulting SWMBO - the promise of free passes and privs in retirement made the hardships seem worthwhile back then.
Lots of colleagues (who presumably didn't value their travel concessions so highly) got headhunted for much higher salaries later in my career, but I stayed... Got offered twice my railway salary at one point.

MetroPleb

If I'm making the occasional journey in London, contactless is much easier - no separate card to remember, no topping up. But if I am traveling around London for days, multiple trips, hitting caps - it makes sense to me to have a dedicated travel card to keep producing for all the touches and to keep your credit card safely tucked away. Lose your Oyster, no big deal - lose your payment card or whole wallet - big problems.

Also, journeys can sometimes be cheaper to split using both - Oyster within the zones and contactless for the extended areas - rather than a through fare.

bicbasher

Established Member
Santander have them, However I understand you can insist that they provide non contactless at any bank if that is what you want.
I noticed Metro Bank have started giving contactless Mastercards to their Cash Account users, but still don't offer direct debits. They're really strict on not offering a basic debit card/direct debit current account.

Basic accounts in general are offered to those who don't have photo ID or are on means tested benefits. When I applied at Natwest, they asked me to apply for the standard Current Account and then offered me Basic when I didn't show photo ID as I don't have it. Ironically despite my low income, the sales person in branch said I would have received the standard current account if I had the ID.

sor

I noticed Metro Bank have started giving contactless Mastercards to their Cash Account users, but still don't offer direct debits. They're really strict on not offering a basic debit card/direct debit current account.

Basic accounts in general are offered to those who don't have photo ID or are on means tested benefits. When I applied at Natwest, they asked me to apply for the standard Current Account and then offered me Basic when I didn't show photo ID as I don't have it. Ironically despite my low income, the sales person in branch said I would have received the standard current account if I had the ID.
natwest appear to confuse the issue, as they call their select account a "basic" account, and their actual basic account (the one they must offer to virtually anyone if they don't qualify for a normal account) is called a "foundation" account. photo ID shouldn't be a barrier, they should accept the usual combo of proof of identity and proof of address.

however, contactless is offered on a foundation account anyway

boiledbeans2

As a collector, I still use Oyster... because every top-up produces a receipt.

If I top-up the Oyster at an NR TVM, I get a receipt printed on the orange paper ticket stock. If I top-up at a LU TVM, I get a receipt printed on the TfL pink ticket stock.

DLR, Overground and newer c2c TVMs print receipts on white paper rolls, so I avoid those TVMs.

bicbasher

Established Member
natwest appear to confuse the issue, as they call their select account a "basic" account, and their actual basic account (the one they must offer to virtually anyone if they don't qualify for a normal account) is called a "foundation" account. photo ID shouldn't be a barrier, they should accept the usual combo of proof of identity and proof of address.

however, contactless is offered on a foundation account anyway
Good point, my 'basic' current account is called Foundation.

Most of the main high street banks offer a similar branded account which give you a contactless card and direct debits without an overdraft facility or interest.

vinnym70

I thought the writing was on the wall a while back for Oyster, or did I misread?
My understanding was that maintaining Oyster was becoming increasingly expensive as use of contactless increased dramatically.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I use Oyster PAYG with auto top-up but only because I've got a Gold Card discount loaded on it. My Hatton to Lapworth Gold Card has already paid has already paid back more than twice over in just 7 months, although most of this is on traditional tickets rather than PAYG in London.

bicbasher

Established Member
Oyster is still useful for those who need the traditional longer period Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass products instead of using PAYG weekly capping.

Personally I still buy weekly passes which start on the day I want them, rather than having to conform to TfL's Mon-Sun weekly capping schedule.

OscarH

I thought the writing was on the wall a while back for Oyster, or did I misread?
My understanding was that maintaining Oyster was becoming increasingly expensive as use of contactless increased dramatically.
I think TfL would like that, but it'll be hanging around for quite a while yet. They've not even got fundamental features like railcards working on contactless yet

It's a good thing to have stashed away with some cash on it in case of some emergency, like me being my clumsy self and leaving my debit card somewhere, and not having any cash on me to buy travel cards either. Was stuck using paypal and uber for a while until the bank sent my new card.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I use Oyster PAYG with auto top-up but only because I've got a Gold Card discount loaded on it. My Hatton to Lapworth Gold Card has already paid back more than twice over in just 7 months, although most of this is on traditional tickets rather than PAYG in London.
I only saved money by using a free South West Traina day travel ticket.

I live in the heartland of the Network Rail Card area though.

If I lived in the Greater Angela or Midlands regions, it would be different.

I still renewed though as I still have some free tickets left.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I feel this thread would not be complete without my usual and often repeated petty moan that in this day and age it should be perfectly possible to associate a Railcard if not with a contactless bank card but certainly with a mobile wallet and connected app, I begrudge having to maintain an Oyster card just so I can get my disabled Railcard discount on tube and rail fares within London, something that's going to become all the more important when that stupid idiot mayor ditches the travel card in six months

Status
Not open for further replies.