• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is LNER losing the plot with fares policy

Failed Unit

Established Member
We have had a number of discussions recently about LNER fare policy. The London - Newcastle / Edinburgh trail seems to have very few winners. Then the policy of not selling tickets to allow people to stand on their services is undesirable.

This is a concern to me. I will of course buy the off-peak (if that is all that was on offer), but why is the advanced even getting offered. But is this the shape of things to come, when they remove the super-off Peak from sale? (Sorry paranoid)

So book with LNER - Cheapest ticket £84.40 - book with the forum £59.92 (with some splits I would never have dreamt of)

Things seem to be getting more complex, but this is the first time I have seen the advance more expensive then the super off peak single.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.png
    IMG_0015.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 150
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, clearly given this laughable trial.

One wonders whether a management reshuffle might be due.

alistairlees

Established Member
We have had a number of discussions recently about LNER fare policy. The London - Newcastle / Edinburgh trail seems to have very few winners. Then the policy of not selling tickets to allow people to stand on their services is undesirable.

This is a concern to me. I will of course buy the off-peak (if that is all that was on offer), but why is the advanced even getting offered. But is this the shape of things to come, when they remove the super-off Peak from sale? (Sorry paranoid)

So book with LNER - Cheapest ticket £84.40 - book with the forum £59.92 (with some splits I would never have dreamt of)

Things seem to be getting more complex, but this is the first time I have seen the advance more expensive then the super off peak single.
It's a pretty poor interface too; the cheapest through ticket is an £81.00 Super Off-Peak Return, but you have to click on "Flexible Fare" and then "More" to get this ticket (which is marked as "cheapest" in green) to show at all. I doubt most people would find it or understand what they needed to do.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yes, clearly given this laughable trial.

One wonders whether a management reshuffle might be due.
If it brings in more money for the exchequer then the trial will be seen to be a success, unfortunately.

robbeech

Established Member

On the app and mobile web view I’m only being offered the SSS

So the SSU is the old saver half or variant of is it not? Is it offering that on a return journey because it’s available but obviously you must buy an advance in one direction? It’s at least giving you the option to buy the advance in your preferred direction. I assume once you click 1 of the £42 options the other disappears leaving only the advance?

You’re quite right though, the very fact that an advance is higher than a valid flexible ticket shows the way things are going.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

LNER's fares are crazy, but my understanding is that they are under strict instructions from DfT to increase revenue.

However the publicity LNER are getting is so bad that the DfT might have to backtrack; they will be desperately trying to claim the trial is a "success" but that looks increasingly difficult.

LNER are desperately trying to get people to "book direct" to avoid exposure to the cheaper fares we offer; glad you found the service useful :)

A lot of work has gone into offering cheaper combinations of tickets, and it is very rare that anyone finds anything cheaper; when they do, the offering can be tweaked, usually within 24 hours (the only example I can think of within the last year was Edinburgh to Dundee 1st class with a split at Leuchars).