• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the assessment day really that difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABC125

As the title says.

I was under the impression that the tests have been designed that if you turn up, listen to and read the instructions for each test as long as you follow those instructions you should be fine. Yes you get sent some practice material before the day itself but that’s so you get a feel for what the test is.

I’ve been seeing a lot of threads here with people begging to be spoon fed every last detail of every test.

Are the tests not to see if people can understand and follow simple instructions, speed vs accuracy, the ability to retain and recall information, to test the ability to multitask and so on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seehof

Totally agree but the pressure brings a lot of nerves and some panic resulting in a fail. There are potentially a lot of good train drivers out there who have failed. Equally, I know some who have passed and are now train drivers who should not be driving trains.

Newapplicant

As the title says.

I was under the impression that the tests have been designed that if you turn up, listen to and read the instructions for each test as long as you follow those instructions you should be fine. Yes you get sent some practice material before the day itself but that’s so you get a feel for what the test is.

I’ve been seeing a lot of threads here with people begging to be spoon fed every last detail of every test.

Are the tests not to see if people can understand and follow simple instructions, speed vs accuracy, the ability to retain and recall information, to test the ability to multitask and so on.

I recently undertook the assessment day and sadly failed. One more life to go now :s

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of it was nerves and as @Seehof mentioned I'd built it up in my head not only from the standpoint of what to expect but also reaching that stage within the application process given that previously I'd not even got past papersift.

Personally speaking, I would say yes, the assessment day is quite difficult, but then again it's not meant to be easy, is it? The TOCs and FOC's are looking for a certain calibre of person.

I have to say I'm incredibly surprised by how much information is given out through this forum in terms of what to expect and in some cases giving potential interview questions out. However, I realise I'm shooting myself in the foot by saying this, it was said to me by a friend whose a driver "you either have it or you don't".

sargentsiri

It goes without saying : Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I went into all the tests having researched & prepared myself to the best of my ability, I wanted to ensure I only experienced that amount of pressure (and expense!) on myself only the once!!

That being said - the tests were then easier than I expected, however, does that come down to how well I prepared?

Established Member
I found there were two types of people in my tests a few years ago now

Some would be sitting on the edge of the seat like it's a reaction test.

Others would be more relaxed, making use of the back rest in the chair, and staying cool.

The tests themselves aren't that hard providing your brain is wired the way they want - what makes them hard for many people is the procedure and processes surrounding them resulting in them being stressed.

Look at the task in front of you, and think "I need to push the button when that grey square turns black" or "I need to find the groups of four circles" rather than "I need to pass this test in order to get a job that pays me really good money".

Sly Sloth

Prepare……..
practice the material sent to you
Research what you’ll sit on the day (plenty on here)
on the day…..
relax
drink plenty
dont skip breakfast

If you live a long way from the assessment centre I’d consider a hotel for the night before. Instead of getting up at say 5am to leave home at 6 for a 6.15 train that gets you to the assessment centre for 8.30 for a 9 start……you can get up at 7.30 and be fully relaxed knowing that there’s no rush or panic over delayed trains or heavy traffic. I know a few that have done this and they’ve said how much easier it was

Mattyblob

How difficult the tests are really depends on the individual; you need to bear in mind the TOC's are looking for people who exhibit certain traits and skills naturally. The 2 attempt limit exists to prevent people from 'learning' how to eventually pass the tests, because learning to ace a specific set of tests does not mean you'll think and process information in the desired way when you're in the front of a train and it really counts.

The timing and nature of the assessments do create a lot of pressure, but I'd argue this is actually by design - if nerves get the better of you and you turn into a pool of jelly at the sight of a Bourdon test it's probably a good indication that you may not be able to maintain your performance under pressure on the job.

Unfortunately train driving is a job that many people want, but relatively few have actually considered their suitability for. The practice materials are well worth completing as they're fantastic at demonstrating the format and nature of the tests, but IMHO spending hours and hours going through every online resource on the subject and extracting every morsel of information on this forum probably wouldn't provide much of a benefit; ultimately you've got it, or you haven't. Not passing is extremely disheartening but it's no negative reflection on the individual - it just means their skill set is more suited to different work!

Shunted

I went into all the tests having researched & prepared myself to the best of my ability, I wanted to ensure I only experienced that amount of pressure (and expense!) on myself only the once!!

That being said - the tests were then easier than I expected, however, does that come down to how well I prepared?
Totally agree with this, I prepared so much that I actually enjoyed the day.

Slinky252

These tests are difficult. You have to prepare 100 % for them of you don’t practice you won’t pass. It’s not a case of turning up and doing it. Yes I can understand why you think after reading certain threads it may give you an advantage. It will to a point. But nerves will kick in. What is certain is you need to have a good memory, concentrate for a decent amount of time , work out things quickly and methodically. And be very accurate. If your nervous then a performance will be hindered but if you’ve practised a lot and can hold the pressure then this is one skill there after. Along with all the abilities stated above. You can read this advice and that advice. That’s all well and good but you has a person needs to step up too on the day and lots can’t. Hence why it’s hard to get into train driving.

Seejwalker

Absolutely agree, but unfortunately we’re in a time where people literally have to be spoon fed everything and want their hand held all the time.

I see it every day with drivers and with people in my job field.

Jon1930

I don't think the assessments are difficult at all, I really enjoyed some of them like the cable and dials and fault finding were tests I enjoyed. People mess up on the day cos of what's on offer, a job that pays alot of money. If people did these tests in the comfort of their living room for fun theh would pass easily.

High Dyke

Established Member

Good advice. When I went on my assessment day, over twenty years ago, one person had "glanced through the practice booklet on the way to the assessment". Needless to say they failed at the first hurdle and were out by lunchtime.

I had an issue with the computer whilst doing the numbers and colours test. Getting the dreaded 'tap on the shoulder', the assessor confirmed it was a computer fault and not me. Took a break and successfully completed the test on a different computer.

CardiffDan

Think a few people have hit the nail on the head.
Its more about the person, as some people no matter how much they try don't grasp the concept of what they want.

The prison service do a few similar ones. I had passed and I was helping my mate and no matter how much he tried he couldn't get his head around it. Failed 3 different times and gave up.

ollie_hobbs

For anyone who's already passed the tests; What is the best practice material available / what material did you use?
Is it worth buying some of the premium packages for practice? (if I eventually get to the psychometric stage)

Thanks in advance

Terry844

For anyone who's already passed the tests; What is the best practice material available / what material did you use?
Is it worth buying some of the premium packages for practice? (if I eventually get to the psychometric stage)

Thanks in advance
I just used what was sent to me from the OPC, Passed to enhance no problems. The tests are really straight forward, just listen to and read the instructions. The tests are there to test your trainability, your coordination, how you do under pressure and if you can follow simple instructions.

NorthernTech

Thanks in advance
I used the practice material sent out, but then printed off loads of dots tests sheets and did a few a day. I purchased the How2Become software package. It had a dots test, joysticks type test, atavt pics test, grey square test etc. Didn’t use them much, but enough to feel familiar. Other than that I read up on the tests in general from this forum, made notes as to what to expect and that was it. Once at the test centre the administrators of the testing make you feel relaxed and give plenty of time to ask questions.

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
How difficult the tests are really depends on the individual; you need to bear in mind the TOC's are looking for people who exhibit certain traits and skills naturally. The 2 attempt limit exists to prevent people from 'learning' how to eventually pass the tests, because learning to ace a specific set of tests does not mean you'll think and process information in the desired way when you're in the front of a train and it really counts.
Which, interestingly, seems to be the opposite of what anyone usually says about exams full stop!

NorthernTech

Which, interestingly, seems to be the opposite of what anyone usually says about exams full stop!
The difference being that these are not exams. Examinations are usually to test your knowledge on a particular subject matter, usually studied for a given length of time beforehand. These are very specific set of tests to see if an individual displays the traits that transfer well to the training and working of the train Driver role.

Bayum

Established Member
The difference being that these are not exams. Examinations are usually to test your knowledge on a particular subject matter, usually studied for a given length of time beforehand. These are very specific set of tests to see if an individual displays the traits that transfer well to the training and working of the train Driver role.
Well, they are assessments - as exams are.

dakta

It doesn't apply to the current types of testing because it changed a few years back, but I wrote some software which wasn't particulatly good but simulated the reactions test in layout with a printable non-interactive keyboard based on candidate feedback - this was aimed at the reaction tests that they used at the time - it also simulated the high low tones

It didn't improve reactions but feedback from people who used it was very good and when I took mine you breezed through - it was almost uncannily easy given what i'd been told about it - the advantage was down to the fact that you could wire your brain for the situation and so that on the day you were measuring the reaction time, rather than the reaction+seek time someone unfamiliar with the situation would have. You didn't panic because you really didn't have to

People who study the knowledge apparently physically rewire the brain during the process in a way that can be measured so I've never particularly been convinced that some people just aren't cut out and I thought that excercise somewhat demonstrated it

I've thought of trying something similar for the perception test as I think we can with the right methods wire ourselves to be optimal for it - I've no interest at this time of becoming a train driver but that'd be an interesting excercise as I think thats quite a challenging test

On the whole though even though the tests I took are old even then the entire thing must be quite hard as I was on my own at the end of the day!

Last edited:

Groindz

Thanks in advance
I passed the paper and computer assessments this year. I think the best way to practice is to have a knowledge of what to expect from each test, rather than to try and practice them (which is why this forum is useful).
My though process was that if I know what is expected of me then it takes some pressure off.

People can get too caught up in all the information flying around and don't focus on the basics. The PDF file with the examples sent to you is a good start, then if you are unsure then search the forums for more info.
For me the only things I practised outwith the practise material sent was the Bourdon test and the ATAVT (the flashing pictures)
I found multiple examples online of the Group Bourdon and printed off lots of sheets and went through them trying to find groups of 4 dots. The more you do this the more you begin to recognise the different ways in which the 4 dots are grouped together.
For the ATAVT there is an example that is popular on the forum. I would suggest watching it at a playback speed of 1.25x for a better feel of the real test. Hope this helps.

NorthernTech

You can obviously do some form of preparation to help improve your chances, but I’d imagine there are some people that it just doesn’t suit and therefore fail. I’ve no idea if they ever publish the pass/fail rate, or how many people hit the two fails and strike out but it would be interesting to see the figures.

ChooChooseMe

As others have said, I think it depends on you as an individual as to how 'difficult' you find the day.

I practised to an extent, but I was very conscious of over-practising, especially as you haven't got the exact tests they will be using, you could easily practise them to the point that when you get there on the day and they aren't the same it completely throws your world in a spin, so learn the techniques but accept the questions/tests are different.

As for the MMI, research the types of questions they ask. They may vary in content or wording, but they all want the same thing. Once you've got your answers, lock them in, I made sure I was vague if giving numbers of figures as you've got to remember exact numbers then, and they will invariably ask for clarification; this is done for a couple of reasons, a) to see if you've made the answer up on the spot (it's harder to remember a lie than the truth) and b) to see how you respond when challenged.
I found being comfortable with silence helps as well; give the answer to your question and sit and wait; if they want more, they will ask; if you carry on chatting, there's a chance of you contradicting your answer and giving them things that they can challenge etc.

I would say one of the other essential things is food, make sure you have a DECENT breakfast and take good snacks, I didn't, and when it came to grey box time, I'd got the shakes a little bit, so hit the button when it wasn't needed (didn't impact horrendously, I still passed) but I was lucky.

It sounds almost impossible but try to enjoy the day; yes, there is pressure involved, that's the point, but go into it with a positive attitude.

baz962

Established Member
You can obviously do some form of preparation to help improve your chances, but I’d imagine there are some people that it just doesn’t suit and therefore fail. I’ve no idea if they ever publish the pass/fail rate, or how many people hit the two fails and strike out but it would be interesting to see the figures.
According to a couple of driver managers and the OPC , it's around the 40% mark that pass to standard level and under 20% to enhanced level. That's what I was told when the OPC visited my training class and at my dmi.

NorthernTech

Oh, that’s less than I thought. Although when I last went, three of us started, one went after the paper tests, one after computer tests and I finished..

FlyingVixen

I was lucky. There was just me on the day! I appreciated this! I didn’t do a lot of prep work. I briefly went over all the questions, but I focused more on the GBT so I practiced them as much as I could. Being a Midwife, it was difficult to find the time to do it, so I literally spent about 20 minutes doing them after my shifts! I didn’t find them hard personally, but I practiced them more to get my speed up than my accuracy. For the MMI, I didn't really do any prep work. I already had answers in my head. Thanks to being a Midwife, I had plenty of scenarios! Interviews I feel I do well in because answers come to me quickly! For the DMI I did more prep work in terms of knowing about the company etc. I just thought, if this job is for me, then I will get it!

Overall, it is down to each individual. What’s hard for one, might be straightforward for another. Don’t pressure yourself too much and go with the flow. Definitely eat and drink plenty and get plenty of rest the day before. It does make things easier! Enjoy the day! I know I did as much as it was nerve-wracking! During the square test, I ended up having a spider crawl down my face! Literally HATE spiders, but I managed it! Didn’t lose focus! Haha!

king_walnut

I didn't look at any of the practise material and I passed everything first time. I found it very easy.

Each round of tests started with an example question. This was enough to help me understand what to do.

Basically the tests are easy if your brain is wired the right way for them. One of the people in my assessment group couldn't grasp the dials whatsoever and he crashed and burned .. I thought they were the easiest bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.