• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the section of gwml beteen Paddington and reading the worst maintained line in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Used to be quite common for class 1 services out of the high numbered platforms to use that route but less so now given the EL services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not for this train. It has crossed to the fasts immediately outside of Paddington nearly every day for the past 2 years except this week

Might have just been a one-off signalling decision due to congestion in the Paddington throat.

FGW_DID

Established Member
There’s currently a 20mph ESR due to a cracked crossing at Ladbroke Grove on the up main, and a 50mph ESR due to a cracked crossing at Acton East Jn on the up relief.

Indeed but those ESRs are for previous incidences, not for another new cracked rail as was being intimated in the post I was replying to.

Kernow_Celtic

The 20mph at Ladbroke is having a very big impact on punctuality due to trains backing up miles prior to reaching the affected area. Network rail would do well to get it fixed as an absolute priority.

embers25

Established Member
Just after the previous thread got closed, total closure again today for the same reason in a similar location. So far the guard has made no mention of the full closure on our 0931 from Exeter. Issue complicated by buses on the SWR line today and cancellations plus delays to the Basingstoke to Reading shuttle. Chiltern acceptance has been quickly added. As an indication of the lack of alternatives, SWR from Guildford to Waterloo has been added to acceptance!!

Last edited:

GWVillager

Just after the previous thread got closed, total closure again today for the same reason in a similar location. So far the guard has made no mention of the full closure on our 0931 from Exeter. Issue complicated by buses on the SWR line today and cancellations plus delays to the Basingstoke to Reading shuttle. Chiltern acceptance has been quickly added. As an indication of the lack of alternatives, SWR from Guildford to Waterloo has been added to acceptance!!
Currently on a crush loaded 168 trying to bypass the disruption from Oxford. Hardly anything seems to be getting past Reading, I’ve only heard piecemeal but it might be worth a thread of its own.

Established Member
Main
Currently on a crush loaded 168 trying to bypass the disruption from Oxford. Hardly anything seems to be getting past Reading, I’ve only heard piecemeal but it might be worth a thread of its own.
the Mainlines are under possession, and it’s on relief lines where OHL line issue is. One service been evacuated I’m lead to believe.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
All lines have reopened.

Following damage to the overhead electric wires between Slough and London Paddington all lines have now reopened.
Train services running to and from these stations are returning to normal but some services may still be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 14:00 10/12.

stu

Oxford is a disaster zone at the mo, 3 cancelled Oxford to Padd services, everyone has squeezed onto a Malvern to Padd train only to find there is no driver to take it forward.

aar0

All lines have reopened.

Is this correct? Heading to Swansea and nothings left since before 9am… debating if I should go to Waterloo?

FuzzyDuck

Is this correct? Heading to Swansea and nothings left since before 9am… debating if I should go to Waterloo?

Not sure Waterloo is going to help much, there appears to be no service from Waterloo - Reading today. The SWML is on reduced service due to a landslip between Woking and Brookwood, so a very limited service to Basingstoke.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The 20mph at Ladbroke is having a very big impact on punctuality due to trains backing up miles prior to reaching the affected area. Network rail would do well to get it fixed as an absolute priority.
Not so easy if its not a standard crossing as those need to specially manufactured.

Annetts key

Established Member
Not so easy if its not a standard crossing as those need to specially manufactured.
Also not so easy even if it is a standard crossing, as the “modern” railway doesn’t keep many spares now, so if there is no spare available, it’s a four to six week wait…

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A new week…a new points failure. This time Dolphin Junction near Slough with GWR services diverted around.

Jamiescott1

The gwr app and website says a good service across the network but all Didcot stoppers are cancelled.
Another evenings plans ruined as will arrive home late

Tw99

The gwr app and website says a good service across the network but all Didcot stoppers are cancelled.
Another evenings plans ruined as will arrive home late

By recent days performance, that probably qualifies as a "good service"...

I've got a couple of cross London journeys coming up in the next couple of weeks where I could take the train, but all these recent GWR issues are making me think I'll just drive.

Last edited:

ChewChewTrain

A new week…a new points failure. This time Dolphin Junction near Slough with GWR services diverted around.
I had to go into London today, but was able to choose when to a degree. I chose first thing in the hope that I’d beat whatever points failure/signal failure/damaged power line/cracked rail occurred today. Glad I did, obviously.

This really is becoming ridiculous.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Problems today as well. Currently held at Twyford 40 late. Driver reports tree branch obstructing line ahead.
Yes, there seems to be a mix of infrastructure and natural failures plaguing the route at the moment. There have been some very heavy/thundery storms around today which will have strong gusts embedded in them. (Almost) amusingly, the BBC weather pages for SE England say "light showers", while as I write a torrential thunderstorm is audible outside! A glance at the weather radar shows widespread very heavy rain moving in from the southwest.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Gwr app saying speed restriction between Paddington and Reading due to defective tracks

There's quite a few so that's nice and vague!

The ongoing issue is there's STILL a 20mph speed restriction around Ladbroke Grove due to wet beds which has been going on for over 3 weeks now. I think rectification was scuppered by the OLE works.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Is this the repair of the OLE that brought down by a train last week?

Well the exact cause / sequence of events isn't 100% confirmed, but yes those repairs. Emergency track access was obviously needed to do that which pushed other things back.

Status
Not open for further replies.