• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the use of cash dying out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM9

Veteran Member
Though conversely there is this article, also in the Guardian today:
It's been obvious from the banks' and businesses' keenness of card over cash, especially for frequent low sums, that 90% of the convenience for cardholders is being paid for by a massive increase in transactions that is increasing personal debt.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil56

That's likely to be fairly localised though - shouldn't be too difficult for people to find a shop or ATM that's not affected.

I was thinking more of a wider network problem that affects a whole city/county or worse most of the country.

During Storm Desmond, the entire Lancaster, Morecambe and Carnforth area was blacked out for several days. For the first couple of days, before they brought on-street generators, literally nothing was open, no shops, no ATMs. The mobile phone network was down for most of the first day, as were several local telephone exchanges (so no landline either). A few of the smallest food shops opened for a few hours but struggled without tills - it was really only the smallest owner managed ones that opened for a few hours as the owners were doing the serving so could remember prices and use calculators. Petrol station forecourt shops were closed because without power, the petrol pumps couldn't be used. The "big" supermarkets were open only to give away their fresh/frozen food before it defrosted/dechilled. It was VERY difficult to find a shop or an ATM for the first few days without driving the next unaffected towns half an hour away!

Richardr

The Guardian story is a non-story. It speaks to one person in Wigan re her spending (she runs a YouTube channel), and one person who has a sideline in selling "cash stuffing materials". They requote the post office story, and a 2020 Warwick Business School survey, which clearly has nothing to do with inflation causing a return to cash, predating the current inflationary period.

raafif

Cash is certainly declining - I & friends only carry a few coins for parking meters & most of those are slated for conversion to paying via your smartphone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magdalia

Established Member
I had a moment of vindication one day last week at my local baker/coffee shop. The card reader had failed, and cashless customers were being turned away, but my blue bread voucher ensured that I still had a fresh loaf for lunch.

duncanp

Established Member
I had a moment of vindication one day last week at my local baker/coffee shop. The card reader had failed, and cashless customers were being turned away, but my blue bread voucher ensured that I still had a fresh loaf for lunch.

Contactless payments do have their limitations, something the banks and those in favour of a cashless society seem a little reluctant to acknowledge.

najaB

Veteran Member
Contactless payments do have their limitations, something the banks and those in favour of a cashless society seem a little reluctant to acknowledge.
Yes, cashless payments have their limitations, but so does cash. What happens when you have a £20 note and want to buy something for £3 but there's only £15 left in the till? Or, as happened to my ex when she first moved to the UK and had a wallet full of £50 notes that almost nobody was willing to accept?

Both methods have their strengths and weaknesses but, on balance, the ease of use of electronic payments outweighs the drawbacks.

E27007

Yes it is, I know of shops which which will not take cash, card only, there is online banking, try finding a Bank which will allow you to open an Account in a Branch. There are sizeable towns without a single Bank the public may visit, and the Manager, nowadays a Financial Product Salesman.
From the Bank of England website there are £82 bn of banknotes in circulation.
A reminder, if you have notes hoarded away, check for the presence of the old non-polymer notes, they are withdrawn at the end of September 2022 and cease to be legal tender, and should be surrendered to a Bank for exchange.

philjo

Established Member
We went in a cafe near the beach in Scarborough this morning. Payment options were either cash or bank transfer. The cafe does not have a card machine. The lady in front of us in the queue was making a BACS payment on her phone. We paid cash.

najaB

Veteran Member
The cafe does not have a card machine. The lady in front of us in the queue was making a BACS payment on her phone. We paid cash.
I wonder why not, card machines cost next to nothing these days. They're probably missing out on custom.

philjo

Established Member
I wonder why not, card machines cost next to nothing these days. They're probably missing out on custom.

I think due to their location they don’t have a reliable phone line and mobile reception is patchy. Plenty of customers today - there is no other option nearby.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
in decline yes. Dying out. Absolutely no way

It is dying out.
this morning I was in a cafe in a village nowhere in particular, card only. Yesterday, in a pub in north London, card only. This afternoon in B&Q St Albans. Card only. Cash is now irrelevant for a substantial proportion of the population and businesses.

alex397

Established Member
If there was an easier way for me to get £5 notes, I’d use cash more. For me, £5 is the easiest note to use for pubs and cafes etc. Especially when some places get annoyed if you give them a big note.
However, I honestly think I’ve used cash only about once in the UK since Covid hit.
I used cash a lot in Germany and Bosnia over the summer, Germany of course still surprisingly being more of a cash country (I made the mistake of asking to pay for drinks with my card in a kniepe!).
I also went to Belgium and Luxembourg where I didn’t use cash once, and just used my Monzo card with ease.

DerekC

Established Member
I went to the chippy in a village in West Dorset the other day and was surprised to find it cash only - and apparently always that way. Fortunately my emergency £20 note was available! On the other hand the curry van which comes on Mondays takes only cards!

Ediswan

Established Member
I used cash a lot in Germany and Bosnia over the summer, Germany of course still surprisingly being more of a cash country (I made the mistake of asking to pay for drinks with my card in a kniepe!).
I spent some time trying to look that up. Did you mean kneipe ?

gswindale

I think due to their location they don’t have a reliable phone line and mobile reception is patchy. Plenty of customers today - there is no other option nearby.
Yet you stated that
The lady in front of us in the queue was making a BACS payment on her phone.

If the customers can get a signal that is good enough, why can't they?

shredder1

Established Member
Cash is dying as its supporters do, bluntly. Most cash zealots are older people.

It's unsurprising that it's doing so first in London, which has a generally younger and more tech savvy population than the rest of the UK because as people get older they tend to move out of it.

Yep, thats pretty much right, Ive just returned from Norway and Sweden which are essentially cashless countries, very few ticket offices are now open and all reservations are done on line. At 71 I must admit I struggled making bookings, but apparently it wasnt just me, many Swedes I spoke too also have difficulties using the Swedish app and website, Throughout the week I did find ticket offices at Malmo and Stockholm, none at Gothenburg, and even those were only open for limited periods. I was using a mobile Interrail pass, but I guess Im a card zealot at heart, in that I mainly pay by card and rarely use cash, or at least that is unless I can find a ticket office that is open for me to pay by card. Surprisingly many guards also thought it wasnt a very good system and it had been applied too soon for the general travelling public.

johncrossley

Established Member
Banknotes have always been problematic, especially £10 or above, because so many people don't want to give change, or don't have it. I only carry banknotes for use in an emergency, otherwise they are not used. Coins are needed far more, because of vending machines and for paying in shops that don't accept cards below a certain value. My local launderette has machines which require £8 in coins. These really ought to be converted to contactless. Unfortunately, you can only get banknotes out of cash machines, meaning you have to make a cash transaction to get coins as change, or go into a post office and withdraw coins directly.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I know Scarborough can sometimes feel like a trip back to the 1980's, but they must surely have a reliable phone line? After all, how would they confirm that bank transfer payments had been successfully completed?

alex397

Established Member
I spent some time trying to look that up. Did you mean kneipe ?
Yes that’s what I meant! I wanted to show off my German but I have failed :D
What are you buying in a pub with £5? Crisps? ;)
It shows how long a go I was using cash then :D Although in Kent I’ve recently paid £3.80 for a golden ale, and about £4 for a Belgian lager called Bavo. So, it is still possible, just about.
Of course most places are about £5 now. But when using cash, I find it easy to use a £5 note with some coins, rather than a larger note.

AM9

Veteran Member
Then get a SIM for the network which does work and use that for the card machine?
Well that might cover the coverage aspect, but availability can vary in some areas even when the best for normal coverage is in use.

DelW

Established Member
What are you buying in a pub with £5? Crisps? ;)
One of my local pubs has a regular ale at £1.49 a pint and guests all at £2.19, so you'd get two or even three pints for a fiver and still get some change.
(Yes, it is a Wetherspoons, and although the £1.49 beer isn't one I'd choose, the guest beers are usually excellent).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
One of my local pubs has a regular ale at £1.49 a pint and guests all at £2.19, so you'd get two or even three pints for a fiver and still get some change.
(Yes, it is a Wetherspoons, and although the £1.49 beer isn't one I'd choose, the guest beers are usually excellent).

i had a bet with myself that it wouldn’t be long before someone mentioned the W place

Status
Not open for further replies.