• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there going to be a 16th Rail Atlas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joe Brown has tweeted examples of some of the changes he is proposing in the next edition, so preparation is underway. I didn't take notes of what those changes were.

Mollington St

I have just been sorting out my stock and now have a full spare set of the Baker Rail Atlas of Britain and Ireland , so if you need an issue or two please just , e mail or message me .
Came across a couple of oddments , which i thought i would share
A GB Rail Freight special issue for 1988 and then the Railway Enthusiasts Society Atlas cover , again if you need just let me know
Oliver

Attachments

• Scan_20230729 (3).png
    Scan_20230729 (3).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • Scan_20230729 (4).png
    Scan_20230729 (4).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

PeterY

Established Member
I love the format of the Baker Atlas. I have several editions but one is well bashed, (excuse the pun) the 14th and I colour this one in, on lines I've travelled over. :D

MK Tom

Established Member
Joe Brown has tweeted examples of some of the changes he is proposing in the next edition, so preparation is underway. I didn't take notes of what those changes were.

I can't find his account. Can you link it?

I absolutely love the Baker atlas, although it has a tendency to be a little over-optimistic with reinstatement proposals and heritage line extensions.

I also wish it would extend the single/double track distinction to freight-only lines. Perhaps Joe Brown will implement that!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I can't find his account. Can you link it?

I absolutely love the Baker atlas, although it has a tendency to be a little over-optimistic with reinstatement proposals and heritage line extensions.

I also wish it would extend the single/double track distinction to freight-only lines. Perhaps Joe Brown will implement that!
Sorry, I don't follow him, he popped up a couple of times either as a suggested link or forwarded by somebody.

Am Broc

I didn't realise that Stuart Baker had passed away. Very sad. His atlas has given so many people so much pleasure over the years but I'm glad it's in good hands for the future!

Quick question - and apologies if this is the wrong place to post it - but does anybody know if there is decent atlas or series of atlases of contemporary US railways?

DelW

Established Member
Quick question - and apologies if this is the wrong place to post it - but does anybody know if there is decent atlas or series of atlases of contemporary US railways?
Surprisingly, the best (possibly only?) detailed ones are from a British publisher :

(Link to the relevant page of the SPV website)

ac6000cw

Established Member
Surprisingly, the best (possibly only?) detailed ones are from a British publisher :

SPV - Railroad books and videos

SPV for railroad books and videos, scale modelling and United States Atlases. www.spv.co.uk

(Link to the relevant page of the SPV website)
I second the SPV atlases (bought my first one nearly 30 years ago, and have 9 of them on the bookshelf). I went on an enthusiast tour to the Chicago area in 1996, and the author Mike Walker was one of the tour leaders - an extremely knowledgeable guy, who (at that time at least) drew all the maps by hand. Just think about the amount of research involved, let alone the all the map drawing...

If you're out there linesiding by car and just need to know how to get to places, websites like OpenRailwayMap and apps like OsmAnd (both using open-source mapping data) are really useful, as they show roads and communities as well as railways (and hill-shading sometimes, to get an idea of the landscape). The SPV atlases are basically just railway maps, with some rivers and lakes shown, but no roads.

Some of the US railroads have freely available system maps e.g. BNSF - https://www.bnsf.com/ship-with-bnsf/maps-and-shipping-locations/rail-network-maps.page

This BNSF network map in particular shows the significant rail lines in the whole of the US (and part of Canada and Mexico), not just the BNSF system - https://www.bnsf.com/bnsf-resources...s-and-shipping-locations/bnsf-network-map.pdf

Last edited:

etr221

Getting back to the Baker/Brown atlases, I think one of the main railway mags (Modern Railways?) had a feature/supplement including comments by Joe Brown as to his proposed way forward with them. But I forget details.

Am Broc

Thanks so much
I second the SPV atlases (bought my first one nearly 30 years ago, and have 9 of them on the bookshelf). I went on an enthusiast tour to the Chicago area in 1996, and the author Mike Walker was one of the tour leaders - an extremely knowledgeable guy, who (at that time at least) drew all the maps by hand. Just think about the amount of research involved, let alone the all the map drawing...

If you're out there linesiding by car and just need to know how to get to places, websites like OpenRailwayMap and apps like OsmAnd (both using open-source mapping data) are really useful, as they show roads and communities as well as railways (and hill-shading sometimes, to get an idea of the landscape). The SPV atlases are basically just railway maps, with some rivers and lakes shown, but no roads.

Some of the US railroads have freely available system maps e.g. BNSF - https://www.bnsf.com/ship-with-bnsf/maps-and-shipping-locations/rail-network-maps.page

This BNSF network map in particular shows the significant rail lines in the whole of the US (and part of Canada and Mexico), not just the BNSF system - https://www.bnsf.com/bnsf-resources...s-and-shipping-locations/bnsf-network-map.pdf
That map is fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.