• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this the fastest sub-1hr from London

Jamesrob637

Established Member

I will be travelling on this service in a couple of weeks. London to Nuneaton is 96-97 miles according to the Railmiles engine, and the timing is sub-1hr at 55-56 mins. Anything else travel further from London in sub-1hr? Okay, yesterday it was a bit delayed due to the weather, but the fact it's booked under 1hr is impressive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
You can do St Pancras to Leicester (99miles) in just under an hour non stop if you get a clear run, a good set, and no speed restrictions.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

XCTurbostar

Established Member

I will be travelling on this service in a couple of weeks. London to Nuneaton is 96-97 miles according to the Railmiles engine, and the timing is sub-1hr at 55-56 mins. Anything else travel further from London in sub-1hr? Okay, yesterday it was a bit delayed due to the weather, but the fact it's booked under 1hr is impressive.
Its just long enough to enjoy a First Class breakfast :)

Shimbleshanks

How far would Eurostar get in an hour? Calais Frethun? Fastest start to stop time I can find is 1hr 26min to Lille.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
How far would Eurostar get in an hour? Calais Frethun? Fastest start to stop time I can find is 1hr 26min to Lille.

They can be at the UK Channel Tunnel portal in 30-31 minutes, emerging from the French portal 19 minutes later, then wherever 10 minutes gets them on the LGV Nord.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The bridge over the River Tame north of Tamworth is 112.5 miles from Euston.
I thought that was the yardstick of how far you could get in an hour on a Pendolino.
I've certainly got past Tamworth itself (110 miles), but not quite made it to the Tame bridge.

stadler

They can be at the UK Channel Tunnel portal in 30-31 minutes, emerging from the French portal 19 minutes later, then wherever 10 minutes gets them on the LGV Nord.
The last Eurostar timetable before corona virus shows a train leaving London at 19:34 and arriving Calais at 21:29 which is 55 minutes. While similarly in the other direction it shows a train leaving Calais at 10:01 and arriving London at 09:56 which is also 55 minutes. So yes London to Calais was under an hour when services were still running.

D7666

Impressive ?

In early 1980s, 20:30 Euston Wolverhampton was booked 94 miles to Coventry in ~62 min***. And that was 100 mph days not 110 mph. By 86 not 87.

50 years of progress have not got us very far have they.

20:30 was the fastest EBW because it ran ahead of 1S44 Special Postal and acted as "prove the path" to ensure the latter had a clear run.

20:30 was also always the best time keeper too. Invariably an 86, 87s were rare on that turn.

Does not answer the OP point, but it does raise the question of "impressive" !!!

*** WTT time for at least one timetable

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Not booked for it, no, but doable if the planets align.
Actually can be done with one speed restriction. I did an hour bang on with the speed restriction at Harborough when it was 50mph.

DanNCL

Established Member
Back when 91s did the Edinburgh fasts they could get past Grantham in under an hour from Kings Cross. York in 1h 40 wasn’t unheard of even right up to the last week in 2020. To get to York in 1h 40 it would likely have been in the vicinity of Claypole at the 1h mark, 115 miles north of Kings Cross.

The last Eurostar timetable before corona virus shows a train leaving London at 19:34 and arriving Calais at 21:29 which is 55 minutes. While similarly in the other direction it shows a train leaving Calais at 10:01 and arriving London at 09:56 which is also 55 minutes. So yes London to Calais was under an hour when services were still running.
They could have done a marketing trick with the westbound trip, arrive before you leave!

A S Leib

102 rail miles from St. Pancras.

Magdalia

Established Member
In the 1978 timetable the 0920 HST departure from Paddington was first stop Chippenham 94 miles advertised in 58 minutes, with the 1720 doing the same journey in 59 minutes.

By 1980 the 0920 was doing the 94 miles in a level 60 minutes with an intermediate stop at Reading. The 1720 was still non-stop to Chippenham and advertised in 55 minutes. This followed a 1715 departure that ran non-stop to Bristol Parkway in 65 minutes.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Out of Paris, a Eurostar can be whizzing past Lille in an hour - nearly 160 miles I think

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The bridge over the River Tame north of Tamworth is 112.5 miles from Euston.
I thought that was the yardstick of how far you could get in an hour on a Pendolino.
I've certainly got past Tamworth itself (110 miles), but not quite made it to the Tame bridge.

Maybe passing Wigginton Park, which is between Tamworth station and the Tame bridge (111 miles)

westv

Established Member
'Twas me the OP, and I think the ECML provides the best opportunity, with the WCML in a close second.
Do we know when the reductions in journey times due to the Azumas and better signalling are going to happen?
Or maybe they already have and I've not noticed!

baz962

Established Member
A lot harder to do now when you catch up with the Corby most of the time.
It was a Saturday morning and the Thameslink were starting later than us and I was out before the 360. Think it might of been after a strike or similar.

SteveM70

Established Member
It was a Saturday morning and the Thameslink were starting later than us and I was out before the 360. Think it might of been after a strike or similar.

In situations like that do you think to yourself prior to setting off “hmmmmm, chance of a really fast run here”, and see what you can achieve?

baz962

Established Member
In situations like that do you think to yourself prior to setting off “hmmmmm, chance of a really fast run here”, and see what you can achieve?
Kind of. You don't break any speed restriction/limits . But usually you know where you get held up and you just come through slower than the line speed. Also on the mml we do a lot of gradient braking and let the train slow itself down and so if you maintain line speed longer you can use the brakes instead. So basically if you know you aren't going to be held up you maintain all linespeeds and for longer.