• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is travelling for leisure over Xmas allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meglodon 5

According to the government, COVID doesn't exist over christmas...
o_O

Although UK should read England in that sentence, the point stands it's current not possible to travel from England to Scotland legally, except for a exemption specified.

The position after the England lockdown ends seems confused as the Scottish government hadn't updated their rules this morning, so appears that apart from the deal agreed between all 4 nations for Christmas , it's not possible to travel to Scotland next week for leisure.

I fully understand why the individual governments want to implement their own rules ,but more co-operation of the Christmas deal wouldn't have gone amiss the last few months as the rules are a mess and a mess that changes too frequently.
nor england to wales. This is great... :)

LAX54

Established Member
You can already travel wherever you want now for a day trip using your own car or public transport (for exercise purposes for example). In reality no one will ask you anything. None essential travel is not banned, perhaps just discouraged.

Yet our overhead road signs say: ESSENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY, not that you can tell, when stuck in tarffic on the way to work at 1700 (and 0500 !)

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yet our overhead road signs say: ESSENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY, not that you can tell, when stuck in tarffic on the way to work at 1700 (and 0500 !)

To be fair a lot of signs are outdated and wrong, on a journey i made a few days ago i saw a huge road side poster telling me that i should get a test if i suspected i had virus symptoms and about 500m later a huge road side poster telling me the exact opposite!

Gathursty

Established Member
A quick aside. Having read some train services will be book in advance only, given I wish to ride with XC (Cambridge - Stansted), GA (Cambridge/Hertford East - London Liv Street/Stratford) and LO (Lea Valley Lines and Chingford), will I have to buy days before I ride or be able to pay on the day (my preference)

LAX54

Established Member
The road signs are wrong...
There is an awful lot of them in Essex, and it's not as if they have just been left on, as they show various road closures over the weekends

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
These ‘essential travel only’ message is the current default message displayed on the variable message signs across the motorway network.

No-one seems to be taking the slightest bit of notice given traffic levels I’ve experienced over the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
A quick aside. Having read some train services will be book in advance only, given I wish to ride with XC (Cambridge - Stansted), GA (Cambridge/Hertford East - London Liv Street/Stratford) and LO (Lea Valley Lines and Chingford), will I have to buy days before I ride or be able to pay on the day (my preference)

The only one which might be an issue is XC, but if you just want to travel on a Stansted service from Cambridge then there should be a hourly GA service from Norwich to the airport.

Crossover

Established Member
These ‘essential travel only’ message is the current default message displayed on the variable message signs across the motorway network.

No-one seems to be taking the slightest bit of notice given tragic levels I’ve experienced over the last few weeks.

Thankfully I’ve not seen them on the motorway near me for a while. The roads do feel busier, too

trainophile

Established Member
Been told the roads here are like Christmas Eve, absolutely rammed. Understandable I suppose as it's the first day of non-essential shops being open.

NSEFAN

Established Member
No-one seems to be taking the slightest bit of notice given tragic levels I’ve experienced over the last few weeks.
It certainly was tragic to see local traffic levels go back to normal. It's a shame that more people aren't able to work from home.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It certainly was tragic to see local traffic levels go back to normal. It's a shame that more people aren't able to work from home.

I meant traffic levels, not tragic! Bloody autocorrect. Original post updated!

Gathursty

Established Member
The only one which might be an issue is XC, but if you just want to travel on a Stansted service from Cambridge then there should be a hourly GA service from Norwich to the airport.
Many thanks.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Cambridge traffic back to normal. Nobody has learned a thing.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Presumably they are abiding by the latest laws/guidance, so what exactly are they doing wrong??

Are you saying that they should be staying at home, cowering behind the sofa???

Go on then - what should they have "learned" during the 28 day lockdown?

MARK

Active travel, working from home a bit more, varying hours to avoid traffic, reduce your dependency in driving so much. That sort of thing.

Instead, we're back to where we were before.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Active travel, working from home a bit more, varying hours to avoid traffic, reduce your dependency in driving so much. That sort of thing.

Instead, we're back to where we were before.
Reduce dependency on driving at the same time as reducing public transport capacity & when a government & operators spent much of the year trying to put people off using it? What else did you expect to happen?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Reduce dependency on driving at the same time as reducing public transport capacity & when a government & operators spent much of the year trying to put people off using it? What else did you expect to happen?

People to adapt to new ways of working and stick to them, not just fall straight back into old habits.

Bantamzen

Established Member
People to adapt to new ways of working and stick to them, not just fall straight back into old habits.
And if the people travelling do not have the options? You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions without offering any evidence. Are you still expecting late March levels of traffic? Most retail is now back open, people are starting to shop for Christmas, perhaps some people are travelling to see family & friends, all with a background where public transport is still nowhere near its pre-lockdown levels for reasons described in my last post.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I'm popping down to London tomorrow just for my own wellbeing and a change of scenery (plus a wee bit of Christmas shopping) before meeting some friends, outside, at a distance in Sheffield the following day. I'm working over the Christmas period so can't take advantage of the rules relaxing.

Its just been on BBC Look North that North Yorkshire Police are doing vehicle stops along county borders to check if people are making "essential" journeys from the NE (Tier 3) to there (Tier 2).

I'm assuming that tomorrow the police won't be storming my train at Darlington? And considering that its merely advice I assume the power to prevent you from travelling is essentially nil?

Last edited:

Established Member
Forgive the off topic, but re. the above comments... has anyone been watching the re-run FGW series on weekdays at 14:00 on Yesterday (channel 26)? I am convinced those platform confrontations are staged by actors or willing volunteers - for one thing the platform staff would not engage in the manner they do, and also the so-called complainers just don't appear genuine. One woman was even half-smiling while having a good old rant!

Glad to hear the fare increases have been postponed - I thought I hadn't seen anything about them this year, as they usually publish them with a bit of time to book last minute tickets at the old prices.
Off topic, and maybe one for another thread, but there were no staged confrontations when I had a camera crew following me for a few hours, though none of the footage was used (which might be why!) People did seem to be acting for the camera though when disruption hit. Not exactly kicking off, but I had a couple of people telling a tale when their trains were cancelled that almost certainly weren't true.

Similarly I was talking to a GWR guard back in August who said he was filmed for part of the "Paddington" series dispatching a HST out of Padd and the footage wasn't used as people stood on the platform making rude hand gestures at the camera and the guard. That's obviously not to say that none of the confrontations are staged, but a lot won't be.

317 forever

Established Member
I'm popping down to London tomorrow just for my own wellbeing and a change of scenery (plus a wee bit of Christmas shopping) before meeting some friends, outside, at a distance in Sheffield the following day. I'm working over the Christmas period so can't take advantage of the rules relaxing.

Its just been on BBC Look North that North Yorkshire Police are doing vehicle stops along county borders to check if people are making "essential" journeys from the NE (Tier 3) to there (Tier 2).

I'm assuming that tomorrow the police won't be storming my train at Darlington? And considering that its merely advice I assume the power to prevent you from travelling is essentially nil?

I doubt you would be stopped by police. During the November lockdown I had police see me at a bus stop on the way home from work, and on another day board a bus in London, but they did not do or say anything on either occasion.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
And if the people travelling do not have the options? You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions without offering any evidence. Are you still expecting late March levels of traffic? Most retail is now back open, people are starting to shop for Christmas, perhaps some people are travelling to see family & friends, all with a background where public transport is still nowhere near its pre-lockdown levels for reasons described in my last post.

Not expecting March levels. That would be silly. But it shows people *can* adapt. And have chosen to un-adapt and drop straight back to old habits.

geoffk

Established Member
It was been reported in the local press last week that North Yorkshire police were turning back drivers trying to enter the county from Lancashire. The guidance says, "if you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area", suggesting that such travel is permitted.

Statutory Instrument 1374 states, under "Schedule 3, Tier 3 Restrictions"

Part 1 Restrictions on Gatherings
Participation in gatherings in private dwellings and other indoor spaces
(2) No person living in the Tier 3 area may participate in a gathering outside that area which -
(a) consists of two or more people, and
(b) takes place in a private dwelling or in any indoor space.

Participation in gatherings outdoors
(2) No person living in the Tier 3 area may participate in a gathering outside that area which -
(a) takes place outdoors in a place which satisfies the conditions in sub-paragraph (4) and consists of more than six people, or
(b) takes place in any other outdoor place and consists of two or more people.

Sub-paragraph (4) A place satisfies the conditions in this sub-paragraph if it is a public outdoor place other than a fairground or a funfair and—
(a) no payment is required by any member of the public to access that place, or
(b) the place falls within one of the following categories—
(i) outdoor sports grounds or sports facilities; (ii) botanical gardens; (iii) gardens or grounds of a castle, stately home, historic house or other heritage site.

These provisions are to do with gatherings, not travel. So I guess if you travel alone and don't meet anyone else you're OK. Travel between tiers does not appear to be illegal. Whether it's advisable is a different matter.

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It's been reported in the local press last week that North Yorkshire police have been turning back drivers trying to enter the county from Lancashire. The guidance says, "if you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area", suggesting that such travel is permitted.

Statutory Instrument 1374 states, under "Tier 3 Restrictions"
These provisions are to do with gatherings, not travel. Travel between tiers does not appear to be illegal. Whether it's advisable is a different matter.
And even if Tier 3 residents weren't allowed to travel outside their area, Tier 2 residents definitely can, even if that means going via Tier 3 counties. If you're going from Merseyside to somewhere like Skipton or Settle, you're almost certainly going to be crossing the Lancashire - North Yorks border.

Yew

Established Member
It was been reported in the local press last week that North Yorkshire police were turning back drivers trying to enter the county from Lancashire. The guidance says, "if you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area", suggesting that such travel is permitted.

Statutory Instrument 1374 states, under "Schedule 3, Tier 3 Restrictions"

Participation in gatherings in private dwellings and other indoor spaces

Participation in gatherings outdoors
(a) takes place outdoors in a place which satisfies the conditions in sub-paragraph (4) and consists of more than six people, or
(b) takes place in any other outdoor place and consists of two or more people.

Sub-paragraph (4) A place satisfies the conditions in this sub-paragraph if it is a public outdoor place other than a fairground or a funfair and—
(a) no payment is required by any member of the public to access that place, or
(b) the place falls within one of the following categories—
(i) outdoor sports grounds or sports facilities; (ii) botanical gardens; (iii) gardens or grounds of a castle, stately home, historic house or other heritage site.

These provisions are to do with gatherings, not travel. So I guess if you travel alone and don't meet anyone else you're OK. Travel between tiers does not appear to be illegal. Whether it's advisable is a different matter.
We do really seem to have created a system of first, second and third class citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.