• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ishihara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
It's a colour blindness test. They show you pages with numbers on. If you are unable to read the numbers (or in some cases, read them), it indicates that you do not have sufficient colour vision.

I'm not sure if you are allowed to fail on some of the pages. You can do Ishihara and other colour blindness tests online, why don't you try that?

The railway is not particularly sympathetic to colour blindness. There is an argument to be made that certain types of colour blindness would not affect your ability to work safely on the railway in a safety critical role, or render you unable to interpret signals and other signs, but the RSSB/ORR do not seem particularly interested in such an argument.

MattyGregs

Pretty sure I don’t have any colour blindness at all so shouldn’t be an issue. Just wanted to get a better understanding of this test.

Papa

If you have normal colour vision then the test is a formality. Some of the plates are designed so that only people with certains types of colour blindness can read them and some are designed to give 2 different results depending on if you have normal colour vision or colour blindness. Absolutely zero preperation is required.

choochoochoo

Established Member
You shouldn't need an app. Just google a few ishihara plates and see if you can see the numbers.

Or better still, go for a regular eye test, the optometrist will tell you if you've got any colour vision defects.

MattyGregs

I do have my eyes checked regular as I wear specs and never been told of any issues with colour blindness so I guess this should be easy enough to complete

jopsuk

Veteran Member
remember it isn't a test of skill, aptitude or knowledge, it's test of (if anything) genetics. If you can easily get any sample cards right, then you're fine

Sly Sloth

Go to specsavers and advise them you have a railway medical coming up. They’ll check your vision against known railway standards and do a colour blind test. Worth £20 or so…and that’ll tell you that glasses would help but I’d just ask for the prescription which they’re legally bound to give you

12guard4

Go to specsavers and advise them you have a railway medical coming up. They’ll check your vision against known railway standards and do a colour blind test. Worth £20 or so…and that’ll tell you that glasses would help but I’d just ask for the prescription which they’re legally bound to give you
Total waste of money and time. Save yourself the effort if you are by chance colour blind they'll tell you at the medical. Same with your eye site it will all be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.