• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iskra's Odysseys

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That sounds like one excellent trip! Vote ED! Shame about the 142s though...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I ventured out in search of a pub, I found a few but none of them looked too welcoming or like the type of place I'd want too long in on my own.
You mean you didn't come across the very conveniently located (for the station) Moorings? Scandalous. ;)
Meanwhile, in the lounge car I'd ordered a bottle of Avalanche ale and the cheeseboard from another friendly host.
My word, you mean that they're actually serving bottled Fyne Ales on the sleeper now? Well there's a turn up for the books! :D

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you all for the comments :)

Sounded like a busy couple days :)

A shame about the pacer action at the end of the day, but you can't really complain when you paid £2 for an advance ticket.

You're right, I shouldn't really complain for that price and it is quite an appropriate pacer service as it's not really intended for end-to-end journeys. It was only disappointing as it's usually a 158 or 150 on those runs, so a 142 was an unpleasant surprise. I don't actually mind them that much usually.

An excellent couple of days there, that steak and ale pie and beer on VTEC looks lush!

Jealous like mad of the 73, certainly the move of the year so far. Wasn't expecting the 67 to be powering, one of just two that I need as well!

They both were lush!

No I wasn't expecting them both to be powering either, nor was I expecting a 73, so both came as a nice surprise. Just need to get myself some 92 haulage when they return to action.

You mean you didn't come across the very conveniently located (for the station) Moorings? Scandalous. ;)

My word, you mean that they're actually serving bottled Fyne Ales on the sleeper now? Well there's a turn up for the books! :D

The Fyne Ale was fantastic, I could have had quite a few of those. Some great Scottish ales were had on this trip :)

Iskra

Established Member
DMU Roulette (5/6/03/2016)

I thought I'd give a Northern weekend rover a go, using the Newspaper voucher. It was £17 for the weekend, but I used a £13 XC RTV so I got it for £4 :) A quick stop at Costa for an Americano at Wakey Westgate was a necessity. Whilst waiting on the platform 91011 pulled in heading South. After that, there were two spotters discussing how you shouldn't wash your hair too much, which was something of a cliché.

0723 Wakefield Westgate-Leeds. Northern Class 158

Well, a 158 was the last thing I was expecting on this brief move, as the Sheffield-Leeds stopper is normally firm pacer territory. I needed a ticket for later in the day, so I collared the guard on this train to sell me one. He couldn't find the code for Carnforth, so after assuring him that Carnforth did exist and then using the National Enquiries app we found the 3-letter code and a Carnforth-Barrow single was duly issued.

I arrived at Leeds station earlier than anticipated, so I went for a bonus move in the right direction. Due to the closure of the Settle-Carlisle, I was heading for Middlesbrough today, the very long way around via some of my favourite lines.

0750 Leeds-Skipton. Northern Class 333 (333011)

It's been a while since I rode a 333, and Leeds station was pretty cold so I basically got this service to stay warm, and a fine job it did. I passed through the two new Aire Valley stations, one of which is now open. I was reminded just how nice the 333's are on this journey, even if they are a little boring.

At Skipton I waited in the little shelter on the island platform with a couple of ramblers before the 0900 train appeared.

2wh2qld.jpg

Skipton station, featuring 333011 and the old Midland Railway canopy.

0900 Skipton-Carnforth (Morecambe). Northern 150220.

I'm not a massive fan of 150's, but at least it wasn't a pacer or a single 153 as can sometimes appear on this route. I took up residence in what I consider to be the 1st class section on these trains (the former parcels storage section), as the partition blocks some of the noise from the rest of the carriage and I got a 3-seater to myself. 150 luxury this! :D Furthermore, this 150 had been refurbished, complete with a token Passenger Information Screen and a disabled toilet. Now, I'm no expert, but a screen which just says 'Morecambe' on it and nothing else, is pretty useless ...what about all the other stations on this wonderful, yet fairly unknown little route? The journey was very scenic today, with the remaining snow sitting on the hill tops. Quite a busy train today this one.

x3ivk5.jpg

A wintry scene in the dales.

Approaching Bentham, there was a deer that we startled close to the line. At Bentham, an elderly gentlemen accidentally pressed the alarm in the toilet, which led to the new PIS system going into meltdown, repeatedly requesting that the guard investigate the matter. The guard duly investigated, but couldn't work out how to turn off the alarm, leaving us listening to the same recorded message repeating until we'd passed Wennington. I believe a passenger sorted it out in the end! I got up for my stop at Carnforth, where a student-type got up with all her luggage and asked me if we were arriving at Lancaster, I told her she needed the next stop. I was a little worried at Carnforth as we were a couple of minutes late and I had a 9 minute connection with my suitcase.

2samq7o.jpg

150220 departs for Morecambe via Lancaster at Carnforth.

A quick dash down the underpass got me into position in good time, to find that the TPE service was running a few minutes late (a fairly normal occurrence). This gave me time to work out exactly where the 185 would land and on seeing the buffer bar wasn't painted yellow (which tells you 1st class is at that end), I was in a perfect position to get a seat.

1009 Carnforth-Barrow In Furness. TPE 185. Std, £7.20.

I boarded and ended up with a table of 4 to myself, which I'm really not used to on TPE as I mainly use the Manchester-Leeds core which is a nightmare. A spotter was filming opposite as we left Carnforth. The yard was packed with WCRC 37's, 47's and 57's due them being banned from the mainline. I made use of the free electricity for my phone and then enjoyed the journey, another very scenic one:

2dwdzli.jpg

21nl6o9.jpg

As you can see, I opted to sit on the landward side for a bit of a change.

At Barrow, I made a quick dash to Tesco Express to get some supplies and then bought a sausage sarnie and a coffee at the station cafe. The sarnie was pretty good to be honest. I'm fairly sure most readers will be able to guess what where I was heading from Barrow.

1138 Barrow-In-Furness-Carlisle. Northern/DRS 37.

Well, everyone else seems to have done the 37 move, so it was about time I got in on the action. I was lucky enough to get sat right by the engine and enjoyed the thrash as we left Barrow and throughout the journey. The MK2 coach was very comfortable and nice and clean too- a definite improvement on the leaky single 153 when I last did this trip. After the 153 my bum was hurting, no such problems on this trip! The train was pretty popular, and grew more so as we headed North, becoming full and standing a couple of stations away from Carlisle, with many drinkers getting on at Whitehaven and Workington. It's a good job this service was strengthened if 3.5 carriages of LHCS is struggling to meet the demand!

2ekpxk9.jpg

2cglp4x.jpg

2rww9yt.jpg

The beautiful Cumbrian landscape.

243magi.jpg

Mary Queen of Scots takes a well-earned break at Carlisle.

1435 Carlisle-Newcastle. Scotrail 156 (But a Northern service).

I wasn't expecting to make this service, but it was comfortable in the end. Again, I grabbed a table of 4. I appreciated the improved interior of the Scotrail 156, the seats seeming a bit softer than their Northern counterparts. It was a fairly enjoyable run down the Tyne Valley, another underrated route in my opinion.

At Newcastle, I sought out Costa in order to warm up. A Hazelnut Hot Chocolate did the job nicely.

My train onwards was subject to both a 20minute delay and a platform alteration. I soon realised why when hordes got off it, it having arrived from the Metrocentre. Everyone waited to board at the end door, blocking access to the other 3 doors, so I walked around the wall between the platforms at Newcastle and boarded unimpeded to get a seat. The train then left full and standing, so another good result there!

1730 (Hexham?) Newcastle-Middlesbrough (Nunthorpe). Northern 156.

Well, finally I was on to some new track down to Thornaby. Once the train cleared out, this turned into quite a nice little route as the sun started to set. Sunderland station seemed a bit grim though.

2myursp.jpg

The coastal view from the Durham Coast line.

I was now starting to get a little tired and hungry so I bailed at Thornaby and got a taxi to my hotel. After an exhausting week at work it was nice to just chill out for a bit and not have to go out on a Saturday night!

Day Two

0901 Middlesbrough-Saltburn. Northern 142.

New coverage. I'd done well to avoid a pacer thus far, so no complaints here. The guard on this trip was one of the best I've ever had, making interesting rhyming announcements which actually made you want to listen to them! He reminded me of John Cooper Clarke somewhat. The route took us through something of an industrial wasteland which was quite impressive in the way it dominates the landscape, towards Saltburn the landscape improved.

0936 Saltburn-Middlesbrough. Northern 142.

Read the above entry, backwards.

At Middlesbrough we were informed that bustitution had been put in place on the line to Darlington. This was annoying as it deprived me of new coverage. To be fair, it was my first rail replacement bus for over a decade, and it actually wasn't that bad and I made it in time for my connection, which was all I really cared about.

1132 Darlington-Bishop Auckland. Northern 156.

27wsi3b.jpg

An interesting change of perspective for 156481- I finally discovered portrait photography, woo!

The Bishop branch has been a bit of a pain to cover, so I was glad to get it out of the way. It was nice enough little run. I saw the Hitachi fictory at Newton Aycliffe and also a steam engine whizzed past at Shildon.

1207 Bishop Auckland-Darlington. Northern 156.

...Got a strange look off the guard for not getting off at Bishop Auckland.

Back at Darlington, I discovered the 1st class lounge was closed for refurbishment, so I went and grabbed a Costa. VTEC were helping me out here to bridge the persistent 'Northern gap' between the North East and York. Overhead wire issues were causing delays north of Newcastle but my train South was undeterred (others were not so lucky).

1330 Darlington-York. VTEC 91. 1st Advance c.£8

The whole train was de-reserved due to the overhead wire issues, but I still got a seat up in 1st. It was also announced that there was no catering service due to the crew being stuck in Edinburgh. However, a VTEC manager-type and a solitary CSA appeared dishing out the weekend 1st offer. Even though I was only entitled to 'light refreshments,' they threw sandwiches and cake at me (in a nice way) anyway. The pulled pork sandwich was much nicer than last time too. Nice result there!

1418 York-Leeds Via Harrogate. Northern 155+153.

I was dismayed to find a 142 sat in the bay platform at York where my train would depart, but then a 155+153 combo appeared to the rescue:

jscda9.jpg

All new coverage this line. I chose to sit in the 155 as it's around a decade since I last rode one (which is quite poor considering they operate on my doorstep). The Harrogate line is pretty nice and again I saw some more deer on the approach to Knaresborough. Also, there is a rather impressive viaduct on this route too, which I never knew existed.

So, to summarise: a cheap bash, some good new coverage in the North-East/Yorkshire, some very enjoyable 37/LHCS haulage, an unexpected Scotrail 156 was had and a good variety of traction had over some of my favourite routes. I do have unfinished business though due to the bustitution and the lack of a Sunday service on the Esk Valley line, which will require a cunning plan somewhere down the line...

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An excellent couple of days there, that's for sure. Looks like a really good time, although the first day must have been exhausting!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great couple of days! I like the look of Skipton station too!

Kite159

Veteran Member
The luxury of having a 150 heading towards Morecambe!

Sounded like a good day doing a round trip via Middlesbrough :)

Iskra

Established Member
Hello folks. So I've become quite behind with my trip reports due to being very busy. I'm therefore going to do a series of text-light and predominantly pictoral updates to help me catch up.

Tre Pol & Pen Railtour

On the Friday afternoon I took a VTEC service from Wakefield Westgate to London Kings Cross, I then tubed it over to Paddington and got a fast GWR service to Reading. I stayed the night in a Premier Inn, before returning to Reading station for my railtour.

This was my first proper railtour and was hauled by a pair of DB 66's, which were new traction for me.

The railtour ran Reading to Lostwithiel in Cornwall before traversing the freight-only branch down to Carne Point which saw us wind down a Cornish valley.

n46rh2.jpg

20a9thl.jpg

2mrw1s8.jpg

We then ran back to Plymouth along the mainline, before swinging-off the mainline just before Laira to visit the site of the old Southern Railway terminus, which has completely vanished.

We then returned to the mainline via Laira completing the 3rd side of a triangle which turned the train around to my advantage as I was now going to be facing forward again for the rest of the journey.

2jfyg49.jpg

We then ran back to Exeter:

69nu6p.jpg

At Exeter we then took the Barnstaple branch as far as Crediton, before diverging to Okehampton and Meldon Quarry.

66177 sits at the head of our railtour at Okehampton (66109 was on the rear):

2hds1mp.jpg

10oqqdu.jpg

Dinner was a Cornish inspired menu, with some very nice crab to start with.

14weiqa.jpg

It was then a case of retracing our steps back to Reading via Exeter.

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and UK railtours did a fantastic job. The catering was also very good. The 66's were new traction for me and everything off the mainline was new coverage for me too :) I was exhausted after a long day though.

After overnighting again at Reading I then got a GWR HST back to Paddington. From Kings Cross I used the Grand Central Sunderland service where I got to sit in a declassified 1st class carriage. Using the Sunderland service gave me my 1st non-stop service through Doncaster to York, where a Northern 158 took me back to Leeds.

Steam Dreams Cathedrals Express Railtour

The journey down saw me gain new traction, new route coverage and a new operator in the form of a SWT 444 from Waterloo-Guildford.

After a brilliant trip with UKRailtours, this trip was a bit of a joke. Firstly, it was diesel-hauled. But, I hadn't had class 47 haulage since the days of Virgin Cross Country, so that was positive at least, even better it was double-headed 47's. Additionally, the standard of driving was poor with lots of jerky stopping and starting, the rolling stock was in poor shape with the toilet seat falling off, the food was poor in Premier Dining, the pathing was terrible- it was such a slow journey and then there was a safety critical incident at Bath on the way back which destroyed my confidence in WCRC and Steam Dreams and risked the tour being cancelled there and then, leaving me stranded.

The two class 47's at Bath:

bdjq80.jpg

My destination, Bath, was very nice.

n2jryd.jpg

Unfortunately on the return journey, the driver stopped significantly short at Bath Spa, the restart is seen here

2rqyi6t.jpg

However, there was then a communication failure which resulted in the train moving off with its doors open.

Back on board, the food was poor:

1z4fjwo.jpg

This was Premier Dining, which isn't cheap. I didn't dare eat the potato's and the presentation of them was shocking. The photo doesn't reflect how poor it was.

Back at Guildford I was glad to be getting off:

312e8mo.jpg

The carriages were at least smart on the outside. I definitely won't be travelling with Steam Dreams or on any WCRC service again (a shame because I wanted to do the Jacobite).

There were some positives though. 2x47's was still good traction. It was also all new route coverage for me too. The route from Guildford to Bath was via Eastleigh, Salisbury and Westbury which was quite interesting.

Gerald

Avid readers will know that I tried to do Gerald/ATW Premier Service during the winter but was foiled by Gerald failing on me and a number of trees falling on the tracks. So this was the re-run.

I travelled a circular route as follows: Leeds-Kings Cross-Paddington-Cardiff-Chester-Crewe-Manchester Piccadilly-Dewsbury

My GWR HST awaits at Paddington

2vnia2r.jpg

I was lucky enough to get my 2nd long trip in a declassified 1st class coach. Although, the seats were very firm so I actually found it less comfortable then both standard class and the previous 1st class interior.

A free upgrade:

oft6qc.jpg

Now, on to the Premier Service. Well, it didn't break down on me this time so that was good :) The food was fantastic, as was the scenery and I got daylight coverage from Cardiff-Chester. I bloody love LHCS, even more so when you get a free freshly prepared meal thrown in too!

Mackerel to start with:

n6s401.jpg

Then Lamb:

jgiaf9.jpg

250ozyp.jpg

2gvoms5.jpg

33xhsgw.jpg

A fantastic meal, and a fantastic journey,

I then bagged some new coverage from Chester-Crewe.

Thanks for reading, and apologies these reports aren't up to my usual standards.

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Great variety on your York trip!

The food on the 66 railtour looked fantastic, as did Gerald's.

Not too surprised to hear that WCRC can't operate a train for toffee, having had a similar experience with one of their drivers up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I can't believe that your first railtour was a pair of 66s! Sounds like a poor show from WCRC on the brush one but at least there was brush! The WAG sounds awesome - I can't wait to do that again!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
See, now I'm not seeing what the fuss is about with the food on the WAG-Ex, it doesn't look worth having to me. I'd have preferred to go to the chippy and have a good feed there for much less money!

Ouch to the bad experience on the WCRC/Steam Dreams tour!

I had wondered if you were just busy or not about much these days, I can understand being busy though. I'm usually like that in the winter time, and summer is allegedly coming, so I'll be very much busy!

Iskra

Established Member
I can't believe that your first railtour was a pair of 66s! Sounds like a poor show from WCRC on the brush one but at least there was brush! The WAG sounds awesome - I can't wait to do that again!

Technically my first railtour was 4472 doing York-Scarborough and return if that makes you feel any better. But that was a long time ago and only a short journey so I'm not sure it counts.

I quite enjoyed the 66's :oops:

See, now I'm not seeing what the fuss is about with the food on the WAG-Ex, it doesn't look worth having to me. I'd have preferred to go to the chippy and have a good feed there for much less money!

Ouch to the bad experience on the WCRC/Steam Dreams tour!

I had wondered if you were just busy or not about much these days, I can understand being busy though. I'm usually like that in the winter time, and summer is allegedly coming, so I'll be very much busy!

Well each to their own ...the thought of an on-board chippy makes me laugh, but I'm sure it would do a good trade! It was only £40 and on delay repay so I felt it was good value. I wouldn't want to pay the walk-up fare though.

Thank you for noticing. I'm currently moving to a brand new site with work, which involves managing my current one, and then setting up the new one at the same time so it's a big workload. I'm also buying a house and writing a best man's speech amongst other things too!! I don't actually have any trips booked at the moment apart from on my holiday in August in Italy, so I may disappear for a short while but I will be back in time. I'd like to do the West Highland Line this year and maybe the South Eastern Javelin's before my railcard expires :)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Excellent write up's - do please keep them coming ......better journalism than from the professionals .....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
To beat the 'professional' journalists is not hard! ;)

Crikey you have got a lot going on Iskra, I wish you a ton of luck with that lot! Agreed an on-board chippy would be good, a revolution in rail catering!

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words.

A trip to Scotland?

So I'm looking at booking a trip in November, within a Mon-Fri time frame but not necessarily taking the full 5 days if possible. Ideally leaving from and returning to Sheffield, but Leeds is doable too. I could also start travelling on the Sunday evening too if that made things easier.

I'd like to include:

Essential:

- London/Preston/Crewe-Fort William (sleeper, but could be Fort William-London/Preston/Crewe if possible)
- Fort William-Mallaig
- Crianlarich-Oban

Strongly-desired:

- Dingwall-Thurso Coverage

Bonus Points for anyone who can include the following:

- LHCS action
- HST action
- A chance of seeing the Northern Lights (is that realistic in November?)
- Anything a little bit different.
- Perth-Dundee coverage

I have a 16-25 railcard and don't mind doing legs by plane, ferry (although this needs to be not too risky considering this will be November) or a little bit of coaching. Overnighting is obviously going to have to happen at some point, so any overnight stops need to include somewhere where there is accommodation.

My budget is reasonably flexible, but I focus on value. Ie I don't mind expensive providing it's worth it and I don't mind cheap with no frills as long as it is as a minimum expectation; clean.

All help/suggestions/advice or tales of personal experience shall be gratefully received :)

Last edited:

NottsPhil

I did a Scottish trip in October using a Highland Rover which is decent value and covers three of your top four. My itinerary was:
Day 1: to Edinburgh, Borders Railway then Highland Chieftain to Inverness
Day 2: Inverness-Wick and return
Day 3: Inverness-Kyle, bus to Portree, bus to Armadale, ferry to Mallaig
Day 4: Mallaig-Crianlarich-Oban
Day 5: Oban-Glasgow and home

I stayed in the Wetherspoons lodge in Inverness which was fine and decent value, have also done the Premier Inn on the river which was also good. The hotel I used in Mallaig was closing for winter the day after I was there (I was the last person to have breakfast!), Mallaig is very quiet off season. There are plenty of places to stay in Oban.

Getting to the Highlands offers plenty of options, the best way to Inverness or Aberdeen is on a VTEC HST (or the Sleeper, of course). If you can find a reasonable first advance so much the better. You could do the Leeds-Aberdeen HST and then hop across to Inverness as one way up there.

Ferries you are always taking a chance in winter, on my day three there were high winds and the earlier ferries didn't run. By the time I got to Portree they were going but on amber alert, after some deliberation I risked it and was fine. Mallaig-Armadale is probably one of the safer options but thats no guarantee. However, I would heartily commend the trip via Skye, and if you have time to go up to Portree the scenery up that road is beyond stunning and the town is very sweet. The Highland Rover is valid on a good number of ferries, I did one from Oban to Craignure and back just for the ride!

Your only trouble is November isn't the best time to do this trip because of daylight - I did it before the clocks changed which will make a big difference to the evenings. If you're doing the Far North there and back in a day then you'll be without daylight for a decent chunk of it. I did the 07.02 out of Inverness and it only got light after Dingwall, but I had light for the whole journey back.

Hope that helps! I had a great time, travel in the Highlands is great and well worth doing.

Iskra

Established Member
I did a Scottish trip in October using a Highland Rover which is decent value and covers three of your top four. My itinerary was:
Day 1: to Edinburgh, Borders Railway then Highland Chieftain to Inverness
Day 2: Inverness-Wick and return
Day 3: Inverness-Kyle, bus to Portree, bus to Armadale, ferry to Mallaig
Day 4: Mallaig-Crianlarich-Oban
Day 5: Oban-Glasgow and home

I stayed in the Wetherspoons lodge in Inverness which was fine and decent value, have also done the Premier Inn on the river which was also good. The hotel I used in Mallaig was closing for winter the day after I was there (I was the last person to have breakfast!), Mallaig is very quiet off season. There are plenty of places to stay in Oban.

Getting to the Highlands offers plenty of options, the best way to Inverness or Aberdeen is on a VTEC HST (or the Sleeper, of course). If you can find a reasonable first advance so much the better. You could do the Leeds-Aberdeen HST and then hop across to Inverness as one way up there.

Ferries you are always taking a chance in winter, on my day three there were high winds and the earlier ferries didn't run. By the time I got to Portree they were going but on amber alert, after some deliberation I risked it and was fine. Mallaig-Armadale is probably one of the safer options but thats no guarantee. However, I would heartily commend the trip via Skye, and if you have time to go up to Portree the scenery up that road is beyond stunning and the town is very sweet. The Highland Rover is valid on a good number of ferries, I did one from Oban to Craignure and back just for the ride!

Your only trouble is November isn't the best time to do this trip because of daylight - I did it before the clocks changed which will make a big difference to the evenings. If you're doing the Far North there and back in a day then you'll be without daylight for a decent chunk of it. I did the 07.02 out of Inverness and it only got light after Dingwall, but I had light for the whole journey back.

Hope that helps! I had a great time, travel in the Highlands is great and well worth doing.

Thank you very much for the advice. I've also done the Kings Highway in Inverness but found it noisy- I may try the Premier Inn this time.

Yes, the 0710 off Leeds is a good option and works out quite cheap with advances too.

Thanks, I'll have to investigate the highland rover, I didn't realise it was usable on ferries too.

I appreciate November isn't great for daylight, but as long as I can do Fort William-Oban/Mallaig and Dingwall-Thurso in daylight in one direction that will be sufficient for me, and I think that is achievable.

You've got to include the 68-hauled 1708 Fife Circle turn in!

the 17.20 to Dunfermline Town back to Inverkeithing for the returning 17.08 back to Waverley, is my favoured journey on them tech. 55013's wisdom on this was priceless to me.

Thanks gents, I do like a good trip with a 68 :)

Iskra

Established Member
Northern Weekend Rover (and a bit more) 11th/12th June.

After my last Northern Rover left me with unfinished business due to a Rail Replacement Bus and the lack of a Sunday Service on the Esk Valley (why?!), I needed to take care of some major, and fairly local coverage gaps. The recurrence of the Northern/Johnstone's Press offer, was too good a deal to miss.

Saturday 11th June

Unusually for me this trip started with an omnibus, in the form of Arriva West Yorkshire's 0656 229 service to Leeds, a Max(i?) bus that now comes with wi-fi and leather seats. It executed its duties superbly on a quiet Saturday morning dropping me a short walk from Leeds station. After alighting, I did briefly think I was going to die as I overtook a gentleman wearing headphones rapping to himself about stabbing people, but I was spared on this occasion. Not dead, I reevaluated what was important in life and promptly headed to Starbucks (there being no Costa at Leeds Station).

0757 XC (Birmingham NS) Leeds-Darlington (Glasgow Central) XC 221. 1st Advance c. £9

Despite being on a Northern ticket, I needed to get to Darlington from Leeds so it was either XC or TPE as Northern don't run North of York on the ECML. The lesser of two evils was chosen, the better 1st class offering swinging it for me on this occasion in favour of XC. This service was awash with XC staff, with a driver travelling pass taking it upon himself to act as the 1st class host. An elderly couple opposite had forgotten their 2 together railcard, so the TM excessed them but told them they could claim their money back once they found their card. A fairly amicable resolution, I thought.

At York, I was lucky enough (yet not quick enough with the camera) to see Tornado in steam at the NRM. A black 5 and a pair of Deltics were also present, I did manage to grab a quick snap of one the two:

2lmnl9d.jpg

No matter what I do to this photo, I can't get it to display the right way up. Please tilt your head 90 degrees or use your imagination ;)

As I stood up to alight at Darlo, the driver/1st class host was passing through with a selection of crisps, he insisted I take some for the road before discussing that nights England match with me. Top bloke. At Darlo, despite having a tight connection, I was expecting it to be a guaranteed one as the Voyager and my next train were set to leave from the same platform. I was shocked that the voyager bypassed my waiting pacer and used the points to cut in further up the platform. I was now completely in the wrong place and I had no choice but to run the length of the voyager and then on to the 142. The guard held the 142 for one other passenger from the Voyager and then we were on our way.

0900 (Bishop Auckland) Darlington-Middlesbrough (Saltburn). Northern 142.

This was new coverage for me as far as Eaglescliffe due to the previously mentioned Rail Replacement Bus on my last rover. It was quick but fairly uninspiring ride. I did see an abandoned RES 08 at Tees Yard.

At Middlesbrough, TPE services and some Northern services were in meltdown for some unknown reason. I had around an hour to kill so I went for a wander around the town centre as it's somewhere I've never really visited. It was better than I was expecting to be honest but nothing to make me want to return.

1031 Middlesbrough-Grosmont (Whitby). Northern 156.

The plaforms were busy ahead of this service, but I couldn't tell if that was to do with the TPE issues or not. I managed to position myself perfectly for the lead door of the 156 which allowed me to get a table seat next to a window, midway down the saloon to avoid the bogies, so I was quite happy with that for the long journey. The train filled up and continued to do so. It's quite a strange service this, there's an awful lot of stops for such a remote area. The guard certainly had his work cut out on such a busy train with frequent stops, but he handled it well. As urban became rural, the countryside on this line became something unexpectedly special. It's much better than the highly praised and nearby NYMR. Speaking of which ...Grosmont was my destination on this service. Middlesbrough-Grosmont was new coverage.

After watching 156444 depart, I headed off to buy a Full Line Ticket on the NYMR which was quite pricey at £28. I then made a better investment in a rather cracking chip butty at the station tea room before heading off to snoop around the engine sheds before my train arrived.

idrqtd.jpg

I found The Green Knight looking rather sad in the sidings, I had this kettle for haulage on my last visit to the NYMR quite some time ago. There was also a 37, a WD Austerity, another Deltic and a USATC S160 around the sheds.

On my way back to the station I caught a class 26 on a movement, I've never seen a 26 so that was a nice surprise- they also sound pretty good.

30jp7qe.jpg

I then took a seat on the platform in the half sun, half light drizzle. Black 5 Eric Treacy soon appeared on a Pickering-Whitby service, while the class 26 zipped up and down for the hell of it, before coming to a rest at the head of some smart-looking Pullman Stock on platform 3. A short while later, 76079 appeared coming from Whitby towards Pickering, which was to be my train. This then meant there were 3 trains at Grosmont all at the same time, which mustn't happen very often on a preserved railway.

dyaep.jpg

I boarded and paid a nominal fee to sit in 1st class to avoid screaming children (I don't normally bash on weekends) and also to not annoy anyone else with my window-hanging. This meant that I got a 6-seater compartment to myself, which was rather nice. After I boarded, the Standard 4, 76079 was removed from the head of the train and replaced with the class 26 and its over-excited crew. I was initially disappointed by this, but I've never had class 26 haulage being only 26 myself, so it was a rare experience and the sound of the 26 more than made up for it, it was amazing (or as amazing as things can be at 25mph ;) ) We were delayed (not that it matters on a preserved railway) at a couple of stations en route while waiting for trains to pass us.

118okde.jpg

0-6-0 63395 passes (sideways)

4ha54y.jpg

Sheep in a field

2rhtp1g.jpg

14muj50.jpg

Some typical NYMR Scenery

On arrival at Pickering, I sought out food. The quaint high street being a short walk away. I found a local bakery and bought the holy grail of sausage rolls- pork and sweet chilli was the one I opted for. It was beyond description, and no other worldly sausage roll will ever seem as good again :( I sat on a bench at the top of the hill to kill time before heading back to the station:

n49ocj.jpg

Pickering Station

45428 Sir Eric Treacy then rolled in, which was to form my train back to Grosmont and onto Whitby:

24fl69u.jpg

I duly boarded and pondered that this was the first time I've ever travelled in a carriage painted in BR Grey/Blue- you don't see too many around, they're mainly maroon or blood and custard Up North. This train, being a later service was much quieter, although there were still some loud, obnoxious folk around so I relocated to the rear of the carriage for a more pleasant journey. On leaving Pickering we were treated to views of some wonderfully restored LNER stock:

1e3w2e.jpg

ngqdmu.jpg

I very much enjoyed my first steam run for a long time, the only downside being Eric Treacy wasn't steaming very efficiently which meant my white shirt was struggling to remain white. The effects of coal dust are not something I usually consider when choosing what to wear on my trips. We passed a class 37 heading in the opposite direction. After Grosmont, when we moved on to Network Rail metals, the fun really began. Mainline steam is something I've not experienced for a long time, and boy it's good travelling at speed. I had a lot of fun window-hanging on this stretch.

n2z5sp.jpg

The approach to Whitby.

Grosmont-Whitby was also new coverage and a Black 5 was new haulage on the mainline. At Whitby, I was sad to leave the NYMR having quite enjoyed the more relaxed pace compared to my usual trips as well as refreshing my coverage of the NYMR and got some unusual haulage.

I sought out the bus station to find that I'd just missed a service to Scarborough and would now need to dwell for around an hour. Here, I got a phone call from my hotel for the night asking me where I was as I was supposed to have checked in by that time apparently, it was only around 18:30 so I thought it a bit bizarre. I updated them with my arrival time and they said they'd make sure someone would be there to check me in. Hunger had now set in again, and naturally Fish and Chips was the appropriate remedy in Whitby. This was a chippy just over the road from the station, opposite the Coop. The portion sizer was huge, they were good value and of very high quality- a very successful day for food having walked into 3 random establishments and being very impressed with all 3.

I then got my 2nd bus of the day; the X93 another Arriva service, this time a Sapphire service, so another with leather seats, wi-fi etc. I found it necessary to employ my musical ear defenders on the top deck listening to The Last Shadow Puppets new album and some Arctic Monkeys. The scenery was pretty nice on this service, but as we climbed fog set in. About 20mins into our journey we were stopped by a police car blocking the road as there had been a crash. The poor driver then had to perform a heroic many-point turn on the narrow country road and then find his way to Scarborough on the back roads which were not entirely suitable for a double decker bus.

At Scarborough I was faced with a fair walk down to my hotel which I was eager to get to in order to watch the England match. Scarborough town centre on a Saturday night was a scene of rowdiness and chaos. I arrived and was able to pick up the football match only 10mins in, which I thought was a good result all things considered.

Day 2 to follow.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sunday 11th June

After a Full English and settling my bill, I had a relaxed walk back up towards the station on a gloomy and cool morning.

6zonsj.jpg

With the first Northern train not being until 1111 on a Sunday I killed time by visiting Costa for a black Americano. I then walked the short distance up to the station and took residence on the bench beside the 158 that I had assumed would form my service. TPE services were again subject to delays and cancellations.

1111 Scarborough-Meadowhall (Sheffield). Northern 2 Car 158.

This was quite a busy service, but I got a good seat again on a bay of 4. The interior had become rather shabby however. The train continued to busy-up as we headed towards Hull. It's another scenic journey. At Bridlington a skinhead got on with his family and managed to avoid numerous passes of the conductor without the 4 of them needing to buy a ticket. Closer to Hull the conductor did ask him if he needed a ticket and he just said 'no' and the conductor walked off. Hopefully barriers were in operation at Hull that day and they got caught. At Hull the train emptied out and it became quite a peaceful journey along the Humber estuary. Just before Doncaster I saw a Colas 56 and 60, as well as some LM units and a green class 47 at the head of motley selection of ex-VT Mk2's in the Wabtec Yard. Scarborough-Doncaster was all new coverage.

I chose to alight at Meadowhall as it's an easier interchange than Sheffield station. At Meadowhall the heavens opened while I was awaiting the train back up to Leeds.

1423 Meadowhall-Leeds. Northern 2 Car 158.

This is a journey that I'm becoming a regular on. It's another surprisingly nice journey in places via Barnsley. On the approach to Leeds we passed the FL depot where there were loads of Fl66's and a 70 present.

The rest of the day was to be devoted to finishing some shameful coverage gaps in West Yorks.

1516 Leeds-Shipley (Skipton), Northern 333.

A fairly standard journey. I then crossed platforms at the rather different Shipley station, with its triangle of platforms. I was now heading for Bradford FS.

1548 Shipley-Bradford FS. Northern 333.

This service gave me new coverage all the way. Just outside Shipley were 3 ex industrial shunters in various states of decay. The guard was very chatty and nice when she came around, commenting that she normally worked the Sheffield area.

1627 Bradford FS-Ilkley. Northern 333.

This service gave me new coverage from Shipley to Ilkley. It becomes a pleasant line after Shipley and it doesn't feel like you're in West Yorkshire at all, and the fact that you're on what feels like a rural branch line in a (relatively) modern EMU just feels a bit strange. The same female guard came to check my ticket again approaching Ilkley, but once she recognised me she said she didn't need to see it again. She was lamenting Ilkley station being so busy and commenting that everyone should be at church instead on a Sunday evening.

1705 Ilkley-Leeds. Northern 333.

New coverage down the mainline, which completes my coverage of West Yorkshire. The same guard was still on, and at Leeds we wished each other a nice Sunday evening as I got off and she finished her shift.

1745 Leeds-Bradford FS. Northern 333.

This was just a positioning move really to get to my lift home. The train slowed for Kirkstall Forge as if it's timed to stop there in future. At Apperley Bridge, the other new station on this line a good 40 people must have got off, so it's clearly doing a good trade.

5br9ms.jpg

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Middlesborough wasn't as bad as you expected?! Please say what you expected because even a nuclear explosion there wouldn't make it any worse than it is now (no offence intended to anyone)! It's been a while since I've had some 26 thrash - they're absolutely brilliant locos (and are one of my favourites). I enjoyed the read as usual and TPE being swamped with delays and cancellations is nothing new.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A couple of really good days there, the problems on the way to Scarborough must have been very tough on the poor bus driver!

I've never had a 26 (or a 27) and really need to change that. It's been so long since I did the NYMR that I can't remember which steam loco I had on it!

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of quick catch-up reports and then a full report.

23/6

After voting in the EU referendum (seems a long time ago now). I travelled from Wakefield Westgate to London in 1st behind a class 91. I'm not a fan of the new breakfast offering: I was still hungry after it.
I then walked over the road to St. Pancras to jump on a class 395 (new traction and SE are a new operator for me) to Margate which was all new coverage. I was impressed by the bits of Kent that I saw as we travelled.

f6zaq.jpg

Margate Station

Margate itself seemed a bit run down.

I then caught another 395 back to London St. Pancras; this time passing through Ramsgate to complete a circular journey providing me with more new coverage.

After meeting a friend for dinner at Angel, I then got another VTEC 91 back to Wakefield.

Unfortunately, I spent much of this trip working on my laptop on my day-off to try and catch up, so I didn't get to enjoy this trip as much as normal, but it was good to finally travel on a Javelin (I was impressed with them), on HS1 and to get some much needed route coverage in the South East.

3/8/16

On the 3rd of August I took a trip to see my grandparents, who are conveniently located near the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. It was therefore rude not to indulge myself as I hadn't been on the KWVR for over a decade- I used to travel it a lot as a child with aforementioned grandparents.

Arriving just in time to make one of the services, I quickly purchased a return ticket to Keighley at Oxenhope station, which cost £11. I took a quick photo of the days traction, a WD 2-8-0 Austerity built at the Vulcan Foundry and dating back to WWII- one of my favourite steam locomotives, as they are workhorses.

ics4dh.jpg

This is another of those photo's that won't conform to my will and will only display sideways. :(

I then spotted a Mk1 BSK at the far end of the train and found a compartment to myself (a must in the school holidays for me).

We then departed, I love the scenery on this line. At Haworth, in the engine sheds an LMS Fowler 4F was displayed prominently as well as a couple of 08's- one repainted into EWS livery for some reason.

The journey was very pleasant, and it's nice to see how much tidier the railway is since I last visited all those years ago. In particular the areas around Ingrow West and Keighley look a lot more cared for and some of the rotting rolling stock at Oakworth has been restored.

As always, the best part of the journey on the KWVR was listening to the engine working hard climbing out of Keighley station :D

On returning to Oxenhope I took a quick look around the museum, where a 4MT and an 8F were on display as well as some nicely preserved carriages.

It was a nice trip down memory lane and with some good traction too.

A full report is on its way from some travels yesterday :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
16/08/16- Border Reiving

This was another 'unfinished business' trip; having originally booked it last year, but instead my plans were thwarted by a derailed freight train.

The day started early at 0500, I got a lift in to a very quiet Leeds station. It being peak holiday time made it a lot quieter, but those that were around seemed to be drunk, destitute or both. I paid a visit to the ticket machine to collect all of the days tickets, before heading to Starbucks for a quick coffee. I then wandered over to Platform 16 for the first of the days trains.

0635 Leeds-Manchester Piccadilly. TP 185x2. Leeds-Preston STD Advance £5.50.

Unusually (for me at least), this train was formed of 2x185 units. I took a seat in 185123 which is in the new livery, but it's still exactly the same as before internally. Normally, a trip through the TPE core is a misery, but being a double unit this was a relative pleasure, the train being sparsely populated. It was a lovely morning, perfectly clear and a great to see the morning sun lighting-up the moorland heather as we twisted and turned our way through the Pennine hills. The train filled-up a little at Stalybridge, but it was still quite comfortable.

At Manchester Piccadilly, I made my way over to the island platform, via the customary ticket checks. Although, such checks will soon become a thing of the past as automatic barriers have been installed.

0745 Manchester Piccadilly-Preston (Edinburgh). TP 350

I do much prefer the quieter, less crowded and more comfortable 350's on the TP routes. Apart from gleaning a quick look at the Ordsall Chord building works, this was a pretty uneventful journey to Preston where I would pick up my next service.

At Preston I was surprised to see that there's still no first class lounge or any attempt to provide one. I find this quite poor on one of the major interchange stations on the WCML- Preston is also a very cold station outside of the summer months. Unwilling to pay premium prices for station catering, I headed into Preston centre to find a Costa. I successfully found one, but to my dismay I also found it wasn't open yet. After a quick walk I found a Cafe Nero, where I sat and enjoyed a black americano.

With around 20 minutes to spare I headed back to the station and took a seat where I thought coach J would land on the 11 car Pendolino.

0941 (London Euston) Preston-Glasgow Central. VT 11-car 390. 1st Advance £23.10.

The train arrived on time, and I helped an unassisted blind passenger onto the train and led them down the carriage to their seat. Unfortunately a VT staff member decided to rudely push passed us leading 4 able-bodied passengers to their seats in the opposite direction. The blind passenger happened to be sat opposite me and we briefly discussed politics as we sped towards Lancaster. Eggs benedict was ordered from the breakfast menu, one of the better dishes served by any TOC IMO. I was fixated by looking out of the window from there until about Carlisle. I was intrigued to see how my former homeland had changed, and the beautiful day added to the splendid scenery to make a perfect journey through the Howgills, interupted only by the arrival of my eggs, which were on top form as always :D As per usual there were loads of loco's around Carlisle; the usual 57 at the station, a Colas 60 on a tanker train, the DRS depot was abound with 66's, 37's and 68's and in Kingmoor yard I sighted a GBRF 92. It was then back to the window as we sped through Lockerbie and up Beattock, where I swapped sides for the better view looking West as we headed down the Clyde Valley towards Glasgow. After Carstairs I saw what looked to be a 32x in London Midland colours attached to one of its Scotrail brethren. At Polmadie there were a pair of 08's in BR blue. We arrived into a rather warm Glasgow Central bang on time.

I then made my way to the 1st class lounge to kill time before my next train.

1313 Glasgow Central-Carlisle. Scotrail 156. Scotrail Only Anytime Day Single £12.60.

We all piled on to the stuffy 156 sat at platform 8, to then all be told to move to a 156 on platform 9 instead. It didn't bother me, I still got a decent seat on the 2nd unit and this one was a bit cooler having arrived more recently into the station. I was grateful when we started moving to get some cool air flowing through the unit. This journey was the main reason for my trip, being all new coverage down to Gretna Green. I was quite impressed with this route. It becomes rural very quickly on leaving Glasgow, particularly after Barrhead. The train mostly emptied at Kilmarnock, after which the line becomes impressively rural and wild, to the extent that on a sunny summer day like yesterday it almost seemed like being in South Africa. The few villages that the line serves looked almost completely out of place in the barren countryside and the stop at the exotically named Sanquhar added to the slightly foreign feel. On reaching Dumfries the train filled up again and the countryside returned to being recognisably British. Heading back past Kingmoor Yard, the only noticeable additions were a pair of Colas 56's top and tailing an engineers train. We arrived into Carlisle about 5 minutes late, but it didn't inconvenience me at all.

At Carlisle I had over an hour to wait for my train South, so I headed in to the City Centre and visited a nice bar/restaurant that I've used before. It's called the Last Zebra and I'd highly recommend it as somewhere to kill time in Carlisle. I had a couple of Pints of Moretti and some Lobster Mac & Cheese (I was clearly in an adventurous mood with that choice, it was very nice though and they do serve more normal food too!) It's a very laid back place, so it doesn't feel weird eating in there on your own.

I then headed back to the station to find my train was 10 minutes late. So I headed down to the sunny end of the platform. They're rebuilding the roof at Carlisle, so for some reason that means they've decided to remove all the seating. While waiting a 12 Car 325 consist trundled through and a GBRF 66 headed North off the Tyne Valley line with a train of coal empties.

(Glasgow Central) 1710 Carlisle-Warrington Bank Quay (London Euston). VT 9 Car Pendolino. 1st Advance £23.10

This train had a strange stopping pattern. It was one of the 'via Birmingham' stoppers, yet after Carlisle it only called at Oxenholme before Preston, omitting both Lancaster and Penrith, which is quite unusual. It could possibly be the first time I've passed through Lancaster non-stop. On board, the beer offer was poor so I had to opt for white wine instead. I was also disappointed that despite me boarding at 1710 it was the all day menu rather than the evening meal. I chose a Tuna Nicoise salad. Only, it wasn't a Nicoise salad at all because it had no dressing or onions with it. All it was was a bit of lettuce, half a boiled egg, 3 olives a small amount of tuna and a small pile of potatoes in a carboard box. It was a good job I got food in Carlisle. I suppose it was cheap, so I can't complain too much.

At Warrington Bank Quay I walked over to Warrington Central for my train home. It was an interesting walk through Warrington. It's industrial Lancashire meets pretentious Cheshire- a very strange mix indeed.

1945 (Liverpool Lime Street) Warrington Central-Dewsbury (York). TP 185. STD Off Peak Day Single. £13.65.

This was the busiest train of the day, so I deployed my headphone's for the journey back accross the Pennines in the failing light.

On arrival at Dewsbury, it was straight into a taxi and home.

- - - - - - - -

So a good day, with some good new coverage over some very scenic lines.

Apologies to other members of the trip report community, I've been struggling to keep up with other members reports. I remember one of the reasons I started doing my reports was because of how little activity there was in this part of the forum in the quiet winter months, but now the numbers are absolutely booming, which is great to see but also very hard to keep up with.

I have a rather epic trip coming up that I'm starting on Sunday, but it will be about a month before I will be able to post it and then I might be snowed-under as I get my new house in Sheffield (plenty of line to be covered around there ;) in mid-September. I will be sure to take notes and lots of photo's to help me do a good write up. Safe to say, it's my most ambitious trip yet and I cannot wait :D

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A good writer builds suspense and interest at the end of his tale, which you've sure done. I certainly look forward to the read, sounds like a promising trip!

Glad to see your return to the forum, and another top bit of reading as always :) Good luck on the move!

Iskra

Established Member
Plains [sic], Trains and Automobiles August/September 2016

21/8/16

This continental railway journey- like all of the very greatest- started not entirely appropriately in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. With the pinnacle of TOC's that specialise in crossing moderately hilly areas doing exactly what it does best (and this time I don't mean running late.)

0851 Dewsbury-Manchester Airport. 2x185 1st class Advance £9.95. TPE.

Engineering works were to provide me with an interesting route to Manchester Airport. I have travelled this route already this year, but only in darkness. On this glorious Sunday Morning we were treated to a rare 6-car unit. The route would take me to Heavenly Huddersfield (as the joyful female conductor named it), where the train reversed before heading back through the sprawling urban metropolis; Brighouse, where a deluge ensued. We then continued up the Calder Valley, through Rochdale and into 'Majestic' Manchester Victoria we then continued to Salford Crescent where we reversed for a second time. Naturally, we then reached 'Magnificent' Manchester Piccadilly and finally 'Magical' Manchester Airport. The conductor was absolutely fantastic on this trip, constantly updating passengers on the trains progress, reversals, the route we were taking and just generally being very cheery. I'm not normally a fan of TPE, but this was a great start to my trip.

- - - -

After all the usual airport faff, I had plenty of time to sit in Costa at Manchester Airport and watch the aircraft come and go. The highlight being my first sighting of an A380.

1310 Manchester Airport-Milan Bergamo. Ryanair FR3218. 737-800. c£50

I somehow ended up at the front of the boarding queue, which is essential on Ryanair to avoid having your luggage put into the hold which can really slow you down at your destination airport. On boarding the aircraft I was greeted with the traditional Ryanair welcome- the previous passengers' crumbs in my seat. I dispatched them and settled-in. As departure time approached, the seat next to me remained vacant, which got my hopes up for some extra space. The door sealed shut, and yes I'd got a spare seat next to me, which makes things a lot more comfortable. It's a fairly short flight to Milan and a very scenic one as you see all the glaciers and snow-capped mountains and then the Italian Lakes. The landing was very bumpy, but a comical announcement from the stewardess restored a pleasant atmosphere in the cabin. I had my headphones on for most of the flight and tried to get a bit of kip.

Arrival at Milan Bergamo (a new airport for me) involved getting a bus to the terminal building. Once inside, things were pretty efficient. The queue for passport control moved quickly and they didn't seem bothered at all- they saw I had a passport and let me in without even looking at it :D

Public transport was well signposted and I found the bus into Bergamo town centre easily. A local offered me his bus ticket, but I'd already put my money into the ticket machine before I worked out what he was talking about. The bus was a bendy one and reached the centre quickly, passing the fuselage of an aircraft that had slid off the end of the runway sometime previously. I got off the bus outside the train station, which is at the end of the main street. There were a large amount of immigrants hanging around outside the station, which initially felt intimidating (due to their numbers and apparently loud, heated conversations, not the fact they were immigrants).

The plan was to have a wander round the town centre and then find my hotel. I executed the first part of this plan perfectly, wandering around the town centre as good as any other man could. The second part; not so much. The town centre was very nice and modern, I could see the old town perched atop a nearby hill. The hotel I had booked (and paid for) online claimed to be in Bergamo, but google maps told me it was a 45 minute drive away. Previous experience tells me that Italian taxi's are very expensive. Thus, I walked back to the station as I knew there were some taxi's there. I noticed a Best Western hotel and got a quote for a room for the night- 80 Euro. I then went and got a quote from the taxi driver- 70 Euro, and I'd need to come back in the morning too! I cut my losses on the hotel I'd already paid for, and booked into the Best Western outside the station in Bergamo.

The hotel was nice and newly refurbished. It had a reasonably priced restaurant/bar next door. Milan were playing Turin on the TV and it was a fiery game which the locals were getting very frustrated and excited about. I got a great nights sleep and breakfast in the morning was pretty good too.

22/08/16

It was then over the road to the smart-looking railway station:

166k40.jpg

0902 Bergamo-Milano Centrale. Regional Train 2610. 5.50 Euro. 2nd Class. Trenord

n17xn5.jpg

My train arriving a the platform.

Well, I don't know what type of train this is, but it was LHCS and had double-decker coaches, which in my mind, makes it a good train. Due to the novelty factor, I decided to sit upstairs. It wasn't very full. Some good views were had of the mountains to the North, but the curved windows weren't actually that good for looking out of. About half way through the journey, a beggar passed through and put a typed note asking for money on the seat next to me and every other passenger but he was largely ignored. Later on a conductor came through and checked my ticket- luckily all went smoothly; although there are bilingual (Italian and English) announcements and signs on Italian railways, not many of the staff seem to speak any English and my Italian doesn't cover Italian Peak/Off-Peak/Routeing Easements/National Rail Condition of Carriage arguments. On the approach to Milan we passed some huge railway yards and a depot full of loco's in a roundhouse, which I didn't realise existed outside of the US.

Well, as I began to expect on seeing the amount of tracks leading in to it, Milano Centrale station is absolutely huge- it has 24 platforms. It's built as if it were initially a Cathedral, and then sometime later someone thought they might add a railway station to it as it could be a useful thing to have. You can't fault it though, it's very impressive.

Not my images:

1280px-Stazione_Centrale_front_view%2C_Milan%2C_Italy_%289474185594%29.jpg

1280px-Milano-Centrale-Entrance-Hall-2012.JPG

33a9evl.jpg

My image^

...You see what I mean though.

The area immediately outside the station is unimpressive, so I had a quick wander around. I then went in to the Freccia Club, which is basically a first class lounge, but bigger and better stocked than most in the UK. I killed time browsing the wifi and then ended up in a slight panic as I confused my train for another that was departing imminently.

1135 Milano Centrale-Venezia S.Lucia. Train Frecciarossa 9719. Trenitalia. Executive Class. 59 Euro.

Well these trains are pretty impressive both in and out. Executive class is of airline quality. And looks like this:

trenitalia-seating2.jpg

(Not my pic)

The Executive section even comes with its own small meeting/conference room. These are by far the comfiest seats I've ever travelled in on a train and the whole journey was absolute bliss. There was an at seat refreshment service with some snacks included, but seemingly this wasn't a service where meals were offered. TV screens also inform you of the weather, news, your trains speed, where the train is and when the next stop is. The journey was fast, smooth and quite scenic. At a place called Desenzano the train skirts the Southern edge of the stunning Lake Garda. I'll upload a photo later, the hosting site I use appears to be having a tantrum currently. Despite being high speed, this particular train stopped a lot, once we got close to Venice it was a bit of a crawl, but it's a very interesting approach along a long shared road/rail bridge to the island city. Venice station is less impressive than Milan, but seems to date from the same time period. It's a lot more utilitarian and the architecture clearly stems from some sort of 1930's fascist Italian ideal of modernity (photo to come). That said, Venice station had a very busy but welcoming atmosphere, with a lot of tourists around.

f0b1p2.jpg

The Southern edge of Lake Garda

20aqdr7.jpg

My Frecciarossa train after arrival at Venice

Well that's it for tonight, and I haven't even finished day 2! To be continued (tomorrow probably)...

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A thoroughly exciting read so far!

TPX putting out a decent performance? Glad I was sat down for that :lol: Sounds like the TM actually cared about her job and wanted to make it a more pleasant journey. I still wouldn't call Huddersfield heavenly mind! :lol:

I've yet to endure the hold luggage situation on Ryanair, however I agree it is useful to be at or near the front of the queue when you have a tight connection to make. Otherwise I'll just wait for the norms to all get out of the way and I'll stroll up afterwards. I did just this last time when I flew Stansted to Edinburgh, how nice and smooth it was and ever since I've not missed the scrum of years gone by on Ryanair!

The hotel situation must have been more than a little irritating, a perfect example of how you really have to research these things heavily in advance. The journey on the rails sounds rather decent, and the station in Milan sounds worth seeing on its own. Executive Class looks rather nice too!

Bring on the next part!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've had a guard like the one you had on TPE but on VT - a couple were stupendous Sandwell & Dudley and Wonderful Wolverhampton. I was kind of looking forward to Wigan's ;).

A mega ouch to the taxi ching - you did the good move at going for the other hotel. Was your original one non refundable?

The trains over there look amazing - especially the executive class one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least seats being lined up alongside plastic isn't just a GB thing (judging by the seat in that Executive area)