• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line Railway - current state and the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
You know it really doesnt matter, we can talk about the finer points all day long but I think the point is made that there really isnt much between the one and the other.

There's not much difference when you don't include the deposit of the car, which on a £150/month payment deal is ~£1,500. What is it on a £99/month deal?

My guess is that it'll be £50*24 plus a further ~£1,500, so circa £2,700.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder the thread title is Island Line Railway - current state and the future

The forum has plenty of spare capacity for new threads to discuss different topics; there is no need to cram multiple topics into one thread, thanks ;)

Delivery is good when you can book a slot.

Its all beside the point this is. The fact remains that the bus is not as convenient as the trains are and peoples attitude towards to train is more receptive.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Delivery is good when you can book a slot. Its all beside the point this is. The fact remains that the bus is not as convenient as the trains are and peoples attitude towards to train is more receptive.

The trains now only provide geographical coverage in one narrow channel land area. I have said countless times before, both the buses and the Island Line are naught but modes of transportation on the Isle of Wight, with the buses winning hands-down on island-wide coverage that includes Newport.

In another attempt to vaguely drag this back on topic, it does raise the question about what the rail system is expected to provide.

I don’t really think it is remotely realistic to expect heavy rail to be the main mode for people’s shopping trips.

In the case of the Island, the existing line is potentially very handy for funnelling people into Ryde and to the ferry. The only future extension that would make sense is along the Ryde-Newport-Cowes axis which would cover the largest traffic flows and give the maximum benefit in relieving traffic. But even this would struggle to be justifiable given the likely high expense.

There are probably many schemes elsewhere that would better justify taxpayers’ money. (And this is where saying ‘I don’t care about anywhere else’ doesn’t work, as like it or not everywhere else is competing for limited investment resources)

Status
Not open for further replies.