• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Line train crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Levers

Quick question about the SWT Island Line. Do the Island line drivers have a train crew depot on the isle of wight or do they belong to a portsmouth depot and pass over on the ferry?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
As far as I know, they are based on the island.

Birdbrain

Yes they do! It's located at Ryde St Johns Road. I've attached a picture of 483008 outside the depot and a picture of 483004 arriving on platform one and the crew room is located in the buildings to the right :)

Attachments

• 008 Ryde St Johns.jpg
    008 Ryde St Johns.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 004 Ryde St Johns.jpg
    004 Ryde St Johns.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 213

Established Member
Do they only have nine drivers or are some drivers based in Portsmouth and also drive to London?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it is just a pool of drivers who only operate the Island Line. It might date back from the days when Island Line was a separate franchise to South West Trains.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They only need two drivers to run the entire service so I'd imagine you could run the entire days service with only five/six drivers. Which would leave three or four spare. Don't think there's a need for any other drivers on the route.

CatfordCat

From a distant memory of a job advert, I have a feeling that job roles are more flexible on the Island than elsewhere, e.g. a person may be mainly employed as a driver in the summer season, but be based in the workshops during the winter.

12CSVT

Established Member
They only need two drivers to run the entire service so I'd imagine you could run the entire days service with only five/six drivers. Which would leave three or four spare. Don't think there's a need for any other drivers on the route.

I presume you mean two drivers actually driving at any one time ? As trains run in passenger service 17 hours per day I would assume there are early and late shifts (possibly middle shifts as well ?). Then there are meal breaks, rest days and annual leave etc to consider.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Here at Fratton we have no drivers or guards who work services on Island Line, they are entirely self sufficient in terms of train crew.

I'd love to have the 483s on my traction card though!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I presume you mean two drivers actually driving at any one time ? As trains run in passenger service 17 hours per day I would assume there are early and late shifts (possibly middle shifts as well ?). Then there are meal breaks, rest days and annual leave etc to consider.

Yes that's what I said. Two drivers can run the service which probably means four or five are needed each day (minimum) to run the entire days service.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Presumably it makes sense to keep it as a self-contained service, as rough weather disrupting the ferries would cause needless disruption to train services were they inter-worked with mainland staff.

"we apologise for the cancellation of the service to Waterloo, this is due to the driver being stranded on the line"

Presumably there's a small Network Rail depot and team on the island?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is a different split of responsibilities between NR and the TOC on the island.

Someone will correct me if wrong, but I think NR only cover renewals and major maintenance. Day to day maintenance and operation (ie signalling) is with the TOC.

Whether that means NR have any permanent staff there I don't really know.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
There are some staff who are drivers and guards and do both roles. When I visited last year I was talking to a guard who said it made a change from driving every day. Sure enough 2 days later we saw the same chap who was our guard 2 days before driving instead.

Don't forget to add in a uplift in establishment for leave / courses / sickness - iirc the NHS works at around 5.5 FTE (5.5 *37.5 = 206.5 hrs) to cover one slot 24/7 ( 168 hours) which needs 'just' 4.48 fte to cover...

Status
Not open for further replies.