• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Man No7 Tynwald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hove Heretic

News this week from the IoMSRSA website that loco No7 Tynwald (out of service for over 60 years) has been removed from Castletown Station, bound for the Southwold Railway.

Does anyone know what the S.R plans are for the loco? ( Fears on the IoM are of a chop about to recreate a Southwold Sharpie rather than restoration to I.M.R original / working condition.)

An ex-M.N.R Cleminson carriage seems due to join the loco - a bit more 'Southwold' than a Beyer Peacock!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IMR&TPS

Hove Heretic asked

"Does anyone know what the S.R plans are for the loco? ( Fears on the IoM are of a chop about to recreate a Southwold Sharpie rather than restoration to I.M.R original / working condition.)"

As chairman of the IOM Railway & Tramway Preservation Society and of the predecessor society that preserved this chassis when it would otherwise have been broken up in in 1978, I can confirm that the above 'fears' are nothing more than black propaganda aimed to sabotage our efforts to save the chassis.

If anyone thinks that it is possible to rebuild Tynwald as a Southwold Sharpie 2-4-0T, I suggest they take a look at the basic measurements. Except for the 3 foot gauge there are scarcely any dimensions in common.

The DCCL, which mismanages the IOM Railways proposed to dump our Cleminson coach to rot at Port St Mary station, which was recently the subject of an attack by vandals. We had offered it for museum display at Port Erin, and even the NRM does not have a Cleminson coach, but that had been turned down! Our friends at Southwold were more discerning and as soon as a detailed survey is completed we plan to commence work. The last survey was about 8 years ago and an overall figure of £50,000 was quoted. The IMR&TPS Board has set £25,000 aside for the first phase of work on the coach.

We would like to start work on Tynwald as well, BUT realistically we will restore the coach first and then tackle Tynwald. As we were responsible for the only successful boiler on the IMR since nationalisation, (on No 8) we have some useful experience but it will be a long and very costly project.

I would ask fairminded enthusiasts not to pay any heed to the "fears on the IOM" type stories as they are simply propaganda as well as being absurd. Superimpose the drawings of an SR and IMR 2-4-0T and see for yourself!

Robert Hendry
Chairman IMR&TPS

Hove Heretic

Many thanks for the reply Robert. I couldn't see how a BP could be chopped into a Sharpie, any more than a 'West Country' could be chopped into 'The Great Bear', as beyond wheel arrangement there's precious little in common, but as I'm sure you know, the question had been raised elsewhere, and it's good to have an informed statement concerning Tynwald's future. No-one under 65 will have seen the loco in steam, so the prospect of restoration is mouthwatering. Here's hoping that No7's new valves match the performance of No8's new boiler. At least there's no asbestos to worry about this time around !!

Regarding the Cleminson, the NRM have had L&BR observation coach No2 safe but unrestored for many years (no critisism of the NRM is implied here), and the vehicles' best hope for restoration would seem to me to be a permanent loan to the revived L&B at Woody Bay. Similarly, as things stand, the MNR coach would seem to have the brightest future at the Southwold. A spot of healthy competition vs. a recreated native Southwold Cleminson could prove highly interesting !

Wishing the IMR&TPS good fortune with both projects, I keenly look forward to updates in due course.

IMR&TPS

Many thanks for your good wishes. As you say, the cut and paste nonsense has been bandied about to blacken the project. When I was working on the MNR book my late father and I wrote, and that is a LONG time ago, I studied the dimensions of the two engines, so I knew how dissimilar they were.

A similar tale is that we intend to rebuild the MNR Cleminson to a Southwold Cleminson. We would need to alter the length of the chassis, the door and window pillars and panelling of the sides, the internal arrangement, replace the ends with new ones with doors and provide a longer roof, and those are just the main changes!

When you said 'as things stand, the MNR coach would seem to have the brightest future at the Southwold.' those are our thoughts. The decline in the IMR coaching fleet year on year is heartbreaking to me as I knew EVERY one of the 75 bogie coaches and 12 of the 14 six wheelers and my late father and I photographed 86 out of the 87 vehicles. We saved our coach and it has resulted in odium being heaped on my head. The DCCL burnt another coach chassis this year, but that was fine as the ashes remain on Manx soil, so its spirit lives on!

When we had the capacity to move bits between 5/8/9 and 7, restoration would have been a lot easier as temporary loans of parts have happened on the IOM since the start. By forcing us to throw away our locos for £1 the DCCL turned a big challenge into a monumental one, but instead of being locked into a situation where we were dependent on their whim, we are our own masters. We lost a lot, but by losing the DCCL as overlords we made an immense gain.

When he was in his seventies my father discussed a 30+ year restoration plan that embraced the Cleminson and hopefully 7 or 9, but he was far too practical to be dogmatic about which order they came in. We have lost No 9 so now it falls to me to realise the dream, but that is with the support of a wonderful team, and my colleagues on the society board have been an inspiration.

One of the things that disgusts me is the way some people say "hendry" does this or that. It is a team. As the chairman I am the best known member of that team, but I am lucky to have them and our successes are team successes.

102 fan

Sorry, whats the DCCL?

Bit OT, but I would love to see the Ex CDR railcars restored. But from what I read, this is very unlikely.

IMR&TPS

I am sure a lot of people would like to see the CDRJC Railcars restored. The first time i saw them was a few days after they had entered service on the IMR and the paintwork was sparkling after their overhaul.

They were very useful from then on and right through until the 1980s. They then started a steady decline and got into heartbreaking state. Politics and the assorted things that have bedeviled the IMR for years intervened. Sad! I feel they SHOULD be restored and as close to their CDRJC condition as possible as they are important early railcars.

In passing, back in September 1967 when I was still in my late teens, my father and I were talking to Sir Phillip Wombwell who was the manager under Lord Ailsa. He bewailed the lack of a diesel loco and I asked if he knew about the three West Clare diesel locos. He did not, so I told him they were Bo-Bos with basically a pair of railcar engines. He said they sounded perfect and phoned up CIE Inchicore there and then in front of my father and myself.

They spoke about book value and that they could not let them go at scrap value. They would sell one at £9000 or the three at £7,500 each, which was way beyond what FPW could afford. A few months later they were sold for scrap.

If only CIE had been sensible, it would have given the IMR a useful diesel engine for the past 45 years instead of the useless No's 17 and 18.

Robert H

Hove Heretic

How terribly depressing that over six years after withdrawl, the powers that be in Dublin couldn't see fit to let the WCR Bo-Bo's go for a sensible amount. Given the sum asked by BR for selling a 'Brighton' K class in 1962, or the prices set by Dai Woodham in the 70's (a 'Hall' for less than today's price for a Hall nameplate!) you've got to wonder at the CIE's thinking, specially when the locos eventually went for scrap anyway.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise (albeit an extremely convincing one !) as had the I.M.R had working diesels in the early 70's, maybe more than 'Derby' would have got consigned to the cutter's torch, if only to make more space.

IMR&TPS

Hi,

I agree, depressing is the only word for it! As the West Clare had some stiff grades, and we both knew what the CDRJC cars could do, which was to haul the other car out of gear which was a lot heavier than our coaches, Phillip Wombwell and I went on a rule of thumb as I had no reference sources with me.

It was roughly as follows. The CDRJC cars were probably close on twice the weight of our coaches so one CDR car could pull itself and say two of our coaches, so if you had twice as much engine power that suggested a power output that could move four coaches and two railcars. We had to allow for the weight of the loco, but it suggested a West Clare diesel ought to manage five of our coaches.

Many years later I found that the West Clare diesels had a rated capacity of 130 tons on the level at 32 mph. As an IMR coach weighed about 8 tons, this was equal to 16 coaches on the level, or a bit less allowing for passengers but you have grades to allow for, so 5 coaches was probably not far off.

What I did not then know was that A M Sheard, who had managed the railway from 1927 to 1965 had made repeated attempts to persuade CIE to sell the things to him. 'AM' has had a bad write up over the years but was brilliant and devoted to his railway.

One reason he did not like enthusiasts until he got to trust you was that shortly after the war there was something nasty happened at St Johns. Trains came in from Douglas, Peel and Ramsey the train ex Douglas splitting for both lines and the trains from Peel and Ramsey combining.

George Crellin, the station master had to supervise all this and deal with tickets, confused passengers and maybe freight as well. He gathered all three staffs and put them down on a seat. When he went to gather the staffs to give them to the crews there were just two. One had been stolen!

"AM" went ballistic, not at George but at whoever had done it and it prejudiced him against enthusiasts. Before the war, H C Casserley, H J Stretton-Ward, Box, MacNab etc had all been allowed in the workshops to take photos.

After the staff was stolen, the answer was NO. It took my father many many years to be accepted despite Manx family on both sides, my mother being Manx and knowing one of the directors (from when they had been at school) and various other links.

As I say, AM had tried to persuade CIE to see sense and the rubbish they talked to Phillip had apparently been told to AM previously. After six years you would have thought they could see there were not too many potential customers.

Phillip's problem was that Lord Ailsa gave him a pretty free hand, but running the railway had cost a lot more than Ailsa had expected and that was apparent by September 67 when we had this discussion.

Phillip and I discussed what Lord Ailsa might offer for the locos and we hoped to get one for around £2,500 or less. FPW phoned Ailsa who agreed we could buy two of them at that price or all three if we could get them for under £5,000 in total! As CIE had increased their base price to £9,000 for one and £7,500 if we bought more than one, that was that and the engines went for peanuts a few months later.

If we had pulled it off it would have been useful, but the IOM government who paid a very small subsidy to Ailsa from 1969 to 1971 insisted that no diesels be used on scheduled trains which is why the CDRJC cars hardly ever ran in passenger service after 1968. A loco would have come under the same 'hate' but it would have been great for emergencies, winter works trains etc and it might have saved the CDRJC cars from getting wrecked.

In 1975, the IOM Government pressed the IMRCo who were running the railway again to break up locos 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 14 to enhance the appeal and rarity of the remainder! My father and I were having lunch with the IMR Board and they sprang this lunatic idea on him and what did he think as they needed to reply to the Govt! He put up a superb impromptu case that the Island was going to stink if they did that, and the Board were smart enough to back his opinions against the halfwits who had suggested the idea to begin with.

I suppose if you had to 'win one lose one', things worked out OK, but it would have been nice to have ended up with at least one West Clare diesel.

Robert Hendry

102 fan

In 1975, the IOM Government pressed the IMRCo who were running the railway again to break up locos 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 14 to enhance the appeal and rarity of the remainder! My father and I were having lunch with the IMR Board and they sprang this lunatic idea on him and what did he think as they needed to reply to the Govt! He put up a superb impromptu case that the Island was going to stink if they did that, and the Board were smart enough to back his opinions against the halfwits who had suggested the idea to begin with.

I suppose if you had to 'win one lose one', things worked out OK, but it would have been nice to have ended up with at least one West Clare diesel.

Robert Hendry

Only a politician or civil servant would think of cutting up locos to make the rest rarer!

Hove Heretic

Hi Robert,

I always wondered why the WCR diesels never found work (even with the power units rebuilt as six locos) with the Bord Na Mona. I suppose there's something reassuring in the CIE evidently not quoting a realistic price to another Irish nationalised industry ! I was unaware of the 60's IMR 'steam only' clause, which was understandable for scheduled summer trains, but effectively put the mockers on any attempts to run any sustainable out of season or off peak services. I take it that the clause is no longer in force, but it might go some way to explain the shoddy treatment of the exCDR railcars for so long.

Thanks too for shedding some light on AMS's times. It explains a lot which was perplexing, but seen in the context of events, now makes some sense. It's easy to judge the past by today's standards, which is invariably unrealistic. I recall Boyd's account of the old Festiniog company being similarly wary of enthusiasts following equipment vanishing. Why Mr Sheard's reputation should be clouded by a very understandable reaction to some pretty dispicable behaviour when similar events at Portmadoc (as it then was) led to the company, rather than any individual, being critisised, I don't know. Some who weren't even born at the end of the old IMRCo act as if Mr Sheard had affronted them personally. Very odd indeed.

Do you have any idea who the bright spark recommending the wanton destruction of six locos was ? I shudder to think of anyone with that sort of reasoning in ANY responsible position ! Such thinking makes it even more of a miracle that after all these years only Derby is completely lost to us, although Pender's eventual fate is nearly as bad - especially as no-one thought to include a clause that the little loco should at least be accompanied by some information concerning it's home system, but as I understand it MOSI in Manchester have very fixed ideas on the purposes of their display. A real shame it couldn't be allowed to sport at least a headboard announcing the next big event on the island.

It's good to see the write up you get in this month's 'Heritage Railway' magazine, [169 p40], although the wording gives the distinct impression that Tynwald's restoration will be undertaken by the SRT rather than IMR&TPS. Is it perhaps a crossed wire with the SRT's own plans for their Blyth project ? Could you clarify this point please ?

Equally mystifying to me is the statement in the article concerning the 1928 altercation with No10 leading to No7's demise a mere 19 years later ! I knew there was frame damage from this incident, and that the scars are still evident, but how much of an obstacle to restoration will this be in practice?

Regards
HH

IMR&TPS

Only a politician or civil servant would think of cutting up locos to make the rest rarer!

I fear you are quite correct!

Robert H
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Robert,

I always wondered why the WCR diesels never found work (even with the power units rebuilt as six locos) with the Bord Na Mona. I suppose there's something reassuring in the CIE evidently not quoting a realistic price to another Irish nationalised industry ! I was unaware of the 60's IMR 'steam only' clause, which was understandable for scheduled summer trains, but effectively put the mockers on any attempts to run any sustainable out of season or off peak services. I take it that the clause is no longer in force, but it might go some way to explain the shoddy treatment of the exCDR railcars for so long.

Thanks too for shedding some light on AMS's times. It explains a lot which was perplexing, but seen in the context of events, now makes some sense. It's easy to judge the past by today's standards, which is invariably unrealistic. I recall Boyd's account of the old Festiniog company being similarly wary of enthusiasts following equipment vanishing. Why Mr Sheard's reputation should be clouded by a very understandable reaction to some pretty dispicable behaviour when similar events at Portmadoc (as it then was) led to the company, rather than any individual, being critisised, I don't know. Some who weren't even born at the end of the old IMRCo act as if Mr Sheard had affronted them personally. Very odd indeed.

Do you have any idea who the bright spark recommending the wanton destruction of six locos was ? I shudder to think of anyone with that sort of reasoning in ANY responsible position ! Such thinking makes it even more of a miracle that after all these years only Derby is completely lost to us, although Pender's eventual fate is nearly as bad - especially as no-one thought to include a clause that the little loco should at least be accompanied by some information concerning it's home system, but as I understand it MOSI in Manchester have very fixed ideas on the purposes of their display. A real shame it couldn't be allowed to sport at least a headboard announcing the next big event on the island.

It's good to see the write up you get in this month's 'Heritage Railway' magazine, [169 p40], although the wording gives the distinct impression that Tynwald's restoration will be undertaken by the SRT rather than IMR&TPS. Is it perhaps a crossed wire with the SRT's own plans for their Blyth project ? Could you clarify this point please ?

Equally mystifying to me is the statement in the article concerning the 1928 altercation with No10 leading to No7's demise a mere 19 years later ! I knew there was frame damage from this incident, and that the scars are still evident, but how much of an obstacle to restoration will this be in practice?

Regards
HH

from Robert Hendry

I do not know enough about the internal politics of CIE and BnaM but at a guess it would be size. Until the 1960s and the 85 bhp Wagonmasters, the BnaM locos were mostly under 48 hp whilst the West Clare diesels were powered by two 107 hp Gardner engines. I have photographed and travelled on BnaM peat trains and the sharp curves suggest that even if you cut them in two, they would be too cumbersome.

You asked re the ‘diesel ban’ and the bizarre fate of the railcars. The fate of the diesel railcars up to the mid 1980s was that the diesel ban lingered on in the corporate mind if not in any actual “agreement” terms. Often when people have done X for a few years, X becomes the norm even if it is no longer useful or even absurd.

A classic example of this was at Leamington Spa on the GW in the 1950s when a pannier arrived to shunt the yard every night. No freight movements took place so the crew retired to the shunters cabin, the fireman attending to water and fuel from time to time. About 1957 a new station master asked why? The answer came from an elderly railwayman. If a German bomber had dropped a landmine on the exit points from the shed all the locos would be bottled up. That meant that the engineer’s emergency train could not move, so a loco was sent to the yard as a convenient place to hold it in case of an air raid. Twelve years after the end of the war it was still awaiting Goering’s planes.

The fate of the diesels since 1990 makes the period up to then seem almost rational, and is a Pandora’s box that I have no desire to open. If I did there would be howls of protest from so many quarters, and it would be directed at me. The move of the Cleminson coach and No 7 to Southwold has stirred up a lot of animosity towards me personally, and I have no need of any more.

If you want a personal opinion, they are some of the most important early diesels to survive in the British Isles. They are a national and not just a Manx heritage item. They should be restored as closely as possible to their 1950s CDRJC condition. I have travelled in them on many occasions. As an enthusiast I love them, but no modern commuter would accept them as a means to get to work unless you alter them to the point that you destroy their historic character. Other than vintage car or bus enthusiasts how many of us want to travel in a 1940s car or bus every day? Very few, I fear.

As to who suggested cutting up the IMR locos, I can say who it definitely was NOT, and that was Len Bond, the Secretary of the IOM Tourist Board. Len is to all intents and purposes unknown to the enthusiast world. On one occasion he phoned my father to say he was in London on business and would like to call in for a social visit. We met him at the station and had tea in the lounge.

He then pulled a document from his case and pushed it across the table. My father picked it up and realised it was the Transport Steering Committee report that was to be laid before Tynwald in a few days. Until then it was confidential. It recommended no further support for the railway! Len had been given it so that the Tourist Board could delete references to the railway from their publicity material!

If the report was to be defeated in Tynwald a detailed reply before the vote took place was needed, but if it got out that a copy had been given to an unauthorised recipient all hell would break loose. Len Bond put his neck on the block on the basis that my father would use it with discretion. It is almost 40 years ago, but it required precise timing and the MHK to whom we spoke could perhaps read between the lines but knew what it was desirable not to know. So, I can eliminate Len Bond because he was hopping mad over the nonsense over the locos.

You perhaps have read of John Bolton who was the architect of the Island’s transformation to a tax haven and the most formidable critic the railway had. I do not know for certain, but I would be astounded if he had come up with such nonsense. He did not believe the railway was worth keeping, as it could not show a plus on the balance sheet, but he was not a fool. Whenever we crossed swords over the survival of the railway, I feared him as an opponent but I respected his relentless, if at times blinkered, logic. He was a great man even if he was against the railway.

I have cleared them as any inference that either of them were to blame would be a slur on two people, one of whom was an ally and one an opponent. I am reluctant to go beyond that as the individuals are no longer in a position to defend themselves.

I haven’t seen the item in Heritage Railway so cannot comment directly. We, the IOMR&TPS own the chassis. The SRT is working to recreate a section of line and our first priority will be the Cleminson coach for which we have set aside £25,000 at the moment. A preliminary report will go to our next society board meeting in a few days, but we need a full engineering survey if we are to do a proper job.

After the coach we want to look at No 7. It may be that we will restore it, or it may be a joint project with SRT. No 7’s history is a minefield! The 1928 collision is well known, but the damage to 7 and 10 was so great that the IMR acquired two new sets of frames from Beyer Peacock, so we assume No 7 went back into service in 1929 with brand new frames.

In 1939, No 7 surrendered one of the weird 1923 boilers with the Ross pop valve direct mounted on the front ring of the boiler to No 1, and if conventional logic is to be believed received the boiler off No 1, which had started life on No 5 in 1907. It was 32 years old and knackered. Colin Goldsmith showed me some records that now seem to have vanished which revealed that between 1939 and 1945 No 7 ran well under 1000 miles.

The chassis was dismantled and lay idle from then on until I begged for its life from Bill Jackson. When you look at the chassis the joint between the stretcher plate supporting the pony truck and the LH frame plate is fractured and welded. There is water induced corrosion further back and the state of the chassis is NOT compatible with a 1929 chassis that saw ten years of heavy use and then rarely ran again.

After Mr Bradshaw was retired following the 1928 collision, the IMR loco department returned to sanity, and what I think happened is that No 7 swapped chassis with some other locomotive. We say that the chassis determines the identity of an engine, but if two locos swapped tanks, it would be easier to paint out the bunker numeral and paint a different number on than to change the nameplates round!

The chassis we own is NOT the 1929 chassis. As 1 and 7 were both in the shops in 1939 a swap is possible but seems irrational. A far more likely scenario is that No 7 surrendered its chassis to one of the 4-6 series locos that had started life with small boilers but had been rebuilt with intermediate diameter boilers and larger tanks. They were front line engines, and No 7 after the rebuild was a crock, used for shunting in Douglas.

It is sometimes suggested that the swap took place in 1945 BUT the chassis when we bought it was numbered 7 and I cannot see the IMRCo wasting money on repainting a chassis that was going to be pushed into store. As the chassis we own had No 7 on it, I think it was switched in 1939, No 7 receiving a worn out boiler and the poorest chassis to go with it. That makes sense. If I am right our chassis ran for most of its life as engine X, and from 1939 to 1945 it put in a few hundred miles as No 7.

When we work on it, I want to take off the present green paint which will reveal No 7 beneath, but I think when we take that layer off we are going to find something very surprising, but as to which engine I am not sure.

As to how it will affect restoration, the weld on the LH frame is breaking up, and there is corrosion further back. Again I have to guess but the IMR tanks sometimes started weeping in the vicinity of the firebox as the area was subject to heat so the inner tank plates expanded and contracted. Without removing the tanks you could not deal with this and as the loco was as tight as a drum when it was in steam and hot, the only problem was when it cooled down at night. A Peel fireman told me that they had endless troubles with locos leaking water into the pit, but he was vague as to which engines. I need a proper engineering report on No 7 before I can say what we will need to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.