• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Issues at Reading 20/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementalpat

Seems a broken down freight train caused chaos at the morning peak today.

I am not very knowedgeable on these things, but I do know that there are quite a few lines through Reading so I wonder how one broken down train caused such a big catastrophe today?

Delays of up to 120 mins according to NR site!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
The failed freight train and the subsequent operation to get it moving again (using another freight train to shunt) entirely blocked the west end of Reading Station for the best part of an hour.

The train had failed on Reading West Curve, blocking the up and down main and the up and down Westbury lines. The following freight train, also due over Reading West Curve, was sat on the up relief line. This left only the down relief line open. Even that became unusable to passenger services once it was decided to utilise the following freight to shunt the failed one onto the down Basingstoke line so that all lines between Reading & Didcot and Reading & Newbury could reopen.

I was sat at Reading station on the 0730 Paddington - Penzance while all this was going on. Already 15 minutes late at Reading, we were delayed a further 40 minutes waiting for the lines west of Reading to become available again. The train manager (TM) on my service was having some difficulty getting updates regarding the delays as were station staff on the platform. I was able to relay information to the TM about the progress of the operation to clear the freight trains, thanks to texts from a friend with access to industry systems. This information was then relayed to passengers aboard the train over the PA.

First hand experience of the problems about lack of information during disruption. Turns out there was more information available yesterday, it just wasn't getting to the staff at the coal-face. Whilst I was happy to assist, and I received thanks, it really shouldn't be passengers that are providing information to staff.

Didn't end at Reading either. Once on the move, I learnt sometime before the TM that the 0730 was terminating short of its destination. Again the TM thanked me, expressing some frustration that I knew before he did. Initially due to terminate at Bristol, then Taunton, where it changed head code and took the path of the 0906 Paddington-Newquay going on to Newquay instead of Penzance.

One final thing I noted. Automated announcements at stations were saying: "... due to a broken down train." Why not add the word 'freight'? Just a little more information that tells punters it isn't a passenger train causing the problems. May seem inconsequential, but after arriving at Bristol, and after one of these automated announcements, I overheard someone say, "Typical! Great Western trains are always breaking down."

455driver

Veteran Member
Didn't end at Reading either. Once on the move, I learnt sometime before the TM that the 0730 was terminating short of its destination. Again the TM thanked me, expressing some frustration that I knew before he did. Initially due to terminate at Bristol, then Taunton, where it changed head code and took the path of the 0906 Paddington-Newquay going on to Newquay instead of Penzance.

It was a pity nobody though too tell the driver of the 0730 about the change of headcode because it was only at Taunton that he noticed the 'incorrect' CIS information showing a call at Tiverton Parkway and Newquay as the terminating point, if he hadnt noticed that then the train wouldnt have stopped art Tivvy. :lol:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was sat at Reading station on the 0730 Paddington - Penzance while all this was going on. Already 15 minutes late at Reading, we were delayed a further 40 minutes waiting for the lines west of Reading to become available again. The train manager (TM) on my service was having some difficulty getting updates regarding the delays as were station staff on the platform. I was able to relay information to the TM about the progress of the operation to clear the freight trains, thanks to texts from a friend with access to industry systems. This information was then relayed to passengers aboard the train over the PA.

I got lucky - I was on the 0715 ex-Pad to Cardiff and was ony 5-10 minutes delayed. Others at work coming from Bristol and Oxford were over an hour delayed!

I was looking out to see what it was - I saw the freight on Reading West curve and on the relief line just outside Reading (both 70 hauled), but the one on the curve didn't seem to be blocking the mains at that point - the end was beyond the viaduct crossing.

Flamingo

Established Member
Not the first time this has happened - a few years ago one failed in the same location, and as I recall, the freight company had to send an engine from Newport, and pay a driver a huge amount (I spoke to him days later) to come in on a day off and travel to Newport to get it. It took many hours to sort out that time.

Taunton

Established Member
One final thing I noted. Automated announcements at stations were saying: "... due to a broken down train." Why not add the word 'freight'? Just a little more information that tells punters it isn't a passenger train causing the problems. May seem inconsequential, but after arriving at Bristol, and after one of these automated announcements, I overheard someone say, "Typical! Great Western trains are always breaking down."
Those in the rail industry have to understand that passengers have no interest in the "it wasn't me it was him" attitude that mesmerises insiders. For the paying customers of the service they expect them to get it all right, and manage their own suppliers (this includes Network Rail) and those they interface with. Just like anything else in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.