• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Issues North of Newcastle - Plessey Viaduct - 09/10 (onwards)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Inspecting the viaduct in the dark doesn't seem likely. Surely line closed until morning at least?

Trainguy34

Looks like a (compressed) 6 train pile-up on 1 side - aswell as a train about 30 Mins away from "the storm" and a 3 train pile-up on the other (including a freight in a loop).

Established Member
Looks like a (compressed) 6 train pile-up on 1 side - aswell as a train about 30 Mins away from "the storm" and a 3 train pile-up on the other (including a freight in a loop).
There will be if nothing is moving past the area and trains are still continuing to wards the area.

Established Member
1st train in each direction over at 50mph.

Then another hopefully only 5 minute block, to check for any movement. Then hopefully normal working.

Future

Lines re-opened for the second time, 1E27 first train over, some 140+ minutes down

trebor79

Established Member
How was this apparent movement picked up? Is there some automatic monitoring on the viaduct?

najaB

Veteran Member
How was this apparent movement picked up? Is there some automatic monitoring on the viaduct?
I don't know for a fact, but I very much expect that would be the case. There's automated monitoring equipment on embankments which are at risk of slippage, so it would make sense that they would use a similar system on this viaduct, at least temporarily.

GordonT

Inevitable compounded delays in platforming and crewing disrupted trains at Newcastle.

Annetts key

Established Member
A COSS (Controller Of Site Safety) that knows the area is required to make the appropriate safety arrangements so that staff are not at risk of injury from trains or other site hazards (but not the safety of the task or work that is taking place). Normally, that means setting up a safe system of work by arranging a line block of the appropriate line or lines. For Network Rail employees, there also needs to be a PIC (Person In Charge). The PIC can carry out the duties of the COSS. The PIC is in overall charge and is responsible for the overall safety of the site.

I was on 1V64 which passed Up at about 1425 and we were at line speed, so if so that's a very recent development
We caught up with 4E04 just after Heaton, so I guess it was just a signal check that slowed us over the viaduct. Very happy if that's the correct explanation...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
We caught up with 4E04 just after Heaton, so I guess it was just a signal check that slowed us over the viaduct. Very happy if that's the correct explanation...
Just had a quick look at RTT, and to my mind 1E20 was running about 4 minutes ahead of schedule from Chathill until approaching Cramlington, so all the signal check probably did was to ease it back into its correct path?

Back to correct time at Newcastle In any case.