Issuing a Strathclyde Roundabout Outside Area

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Crossover, 27 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

It is likely I will need to purchase the above tomorrow outside of Scotland for use later in the week - likely starting first at Kings Cross and if that fails, then possibly at Inverness

I have found this thread from a couple of years ago which may be of some help - it seems a ticket can be issued from one of the stations to I225 to get the required ticket - I know from having one a few weeks ago that they use normal ticket stock now

Has anyone other than TP tried this and do staff need much prompting? Would be of great help to be able to get it sorted!

2. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

As I said in the thread, you just need to ask for a CDS from any station in the Q826 cluster to Roundabout… shouldn't have any issues at all. Any issues you do get would be due to staff incompetence.

3. Crossover

Thanks TP. Do you know if they just need to search for "Roundabout" or if they need the I225 code? Naturally it can't be done in itinerary mode :)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Or unwillingness ;)

I have had mixed success in the past asking for random tickets outside of zones - I think the best was at Harrogate who with guidance found and issued a Merseytravel Saveaway - hopefully KGX will be as willing...

4. transportphoto

It should just come up with Roundabout.

In case double post prevention takes effect and merges posts, the above was posted 27th May at 11:15.
    Did you have any such luck at Kings Cross?

TP

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  5. Crossover

I arrive at Kings Cross in a couple of hours so will report back :)

6. transportphoto

Okie dokie, someone has tweeted VirginTrainsEC for you... ;)

Attached Files:

7. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'd advise against getting it printed from Prestwick. Whilst this is within the SPT area; and therefore it will work if it's printed from here, it is not in the Round-a-bout area, and therefore may cause some confusion with staff. Possibly better to get it from somewhere that is in the area.

8. Crossover

Thanks TP - wil put that to the test. If they don't come up as Rovers I will just ask for it as a single from a station to Roundabout. As Mojo says, I will probably go for a safe option of using a station within the validity area - maybe Paisley Canal or something similar :D
    I doubt it will be so at KGX, but Roundel stock would really add a bit of extra 'zing' :P

9. transportphoto

KGX of course do issue tickets with the Aztec code in the top left... I don't think this is common place yet in Strathclyde ;) They aren't set up as Rovers at all AFAIAA.

TP

10. Crossover

Success! Asked for a single from Mount Florida to Roundabout and the staff member eventually found it under 'non rail fares' (anyone else trying to get one, take note!)

Attached Files:

11. transportphoto

Brilliant! I think it would be even more confusing on the New Style ticket layout… but hey ho ;) Glad you got it issued no problems.

12. Agent_c

Agent_c Member

Bear in mind if you're planning to use the Glasgow Subway to factor in a little more time to get a contactless ticket at the booth.

13. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

I wonder if you can get one from the LOROL/Southern ticket machines which allow you to buy from another location :)

14. Crossover

Quite right. The reason we have bought the Roundabout in advance is so we can start on the Subway
    My instinct on that would be no, especially given it is listed as a non rail fare (on the ticketing system it seems)

15. hassaanhc

hassaanhc Established Member

When I got the opportunity to try one of those machines (about 2 weeks ago), it only listed those that would be valid in London, I remember it showing the All Line Rover and various ones from the Thames Valley area.
    Back in January I got a South Pennines Day Ranger issued at King's Cross within 2 minutes, although there was someone senior standing close by at the time that helped.

16. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

I like confusing the ticket office staff at Andover when buying my rovers.

Saves a few minutes at the other end if the queue for the ticket office at say Leeds or Manchester is long.

17. AndrewR232

AndrewR232 Member

Nice one!

I wonder if any of the Glasgow based on-train staff will be confused by the new style of ticket. :D

18. Crossover

It's not a new style as such, just has the Aztec code. Will report back if anyone looks confused
    I tend to say 'they don't make thi easy, do they' or similar, though it depends how grumpy they seem as to whether I do :P
    No odd looks but it didn't work the barriers - not sure if that is because it was issued from Mount Florida specifically or if the Kings Cross printers just didn't encode the mag stripe at all

19. causton

causton Established Member

Perhaps next time you could get a ticket clerk to arrange for it to be ToD collected, and collect it at a machine that will print it in the new style ;)

20. transportphoto

I didn't realise this was possible?

21. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

On STAR, a clerk can set up a ToD ticket for collection, however, instructions to Northern staff would forbid issuing a roundabout ticket in that way. I would imagine other staff would have similar instructions.

22. reb0118

reb0118 Established Member Fares Advisor

Is this similar to the SILK system were a passenger can pick up a ticket purchased on their behalf by another?

23. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

That's what we are told to use it for, and only that, but there are other ways of doing SILKs.

24. postye

postye Member

Are there currently any ticket machines in the London area that print tickets in the new format? I've yet to see one in the flesh

25. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

Not a TVM, but at least one window at Willesden Junction has been upgraded to a new version of FasTIS which includes ToD functionality and uses the new print layout.

26. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

At least one of the three East Midlands Trains ToDler machines inside the booking office at St Pancras prints in the new style. The one on the left (closest to the counter) doesn't do it; the one on the right does, and I'm not sure about the one in the middle. Note however that they are only available whilst the "inside" booking office is open; which is generally only during daytimes.

27. postye

postye Member

Thanks for that info, will have to try this machine for TOD next time I book

28. TEW

TEW Established Member

I'm pretty sure Crystal Palace, and Shepherd's Bush ticket offices print in the new layout too, judging by the tickets I've seen from them. Probably some more London Overground ones about too.

29. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

The London Overground TVMs at Imerial Wharf do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.